Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
disneylandhalf055.jpg

Thank you. I will save this photo next to my Everest backside photo for whenever I hear another stupid comment about FJ's show building.

Anyway, I know it can't be cheap to make a huge mountain where there once was nothing so the cost makes sense for Disney, especially if they're saying something like Mermaid at DCA cost $100 million.

I still can't believe Mermaid costs $100 million. Anybody who went on that ride would tell you that it is a great Fantasyland dark ride... but for the life of me I don't know how that ride costs $100 million.

By the way, that view of the back side of the tail fins is not from the backstage area or even from some little area that has been hidden or inaccessible to the public... it's from the entrance drive to the land. :wave:

But.....it's....mostly......outside. And its kinda hard to do that when its outside. The only part where they might try to hide things is in the show scene. Disney didn't cheap out like Uni did with the FJ show building, they went all out !!! I....guess....you.....like.....writing.....like.....this..................................
No Universal is just better at creating rides with less money.... actually even Sea World is on par with Disney they just never get the credit because they just don't have the brand...

Well, you could call them cheap, or you can call the company foolish for underbidding and signing demanding contracts.

Yes, and btw, it was more that one that went out of biz. Mostly it is the newer sub-contractors or the sub-subs that are desperate to get a piece of the action to prove themselves. They aren't prepared for how prickly Universal can be with the contracts. To be clear, most of the ones I know of were on the verge of collapse anyway... A Uni contract just speeds up the process.

Yes, and btw, it was more that one that went out of biz. Mostly it is the newer sub-contractors or the sub-subs that are desperate to get a piece of the action to prove themselves. They aren't prepared for how prickly Universal can be with the contracts. To be clear, most of the ones I know of were on the verge of collapse anyway... A Uni contract just speeds up the process.

So could it be that Disney is stubborn and doesn't want to chance choosing a cheaper contractor that Universal would use? That could add up over a long project like Carsland.

If you want to get an attitude, that's cool. I'll think objectively. I'm a season pass holder to Disneyland, so obviously I'm not just another Disney hater/ Uni fanboy. Most of the ride actually takes place indoors from what I heard. Then again, I've only been following this land since it's announcement, so how would I know, right? It remains to be seen if Disney will "cheap out". They have done a better job of hiding the show building than FJ. But there's still this:

disneylandhalf055.jpg

Just because I wish Disney would be more responsible with their money, doesn't mean I don't like Disney or am not excited for their projects. I like to think about what if Disney could use their money as wisely as Universal did (for the most part) on WWoHP? What sort of exorbitant things could we see if they could use even half the budget of RSR on another attraction or some new innovation?

But that's the back, you can't see that from inside the park, so who cares. I'm sure they will do something to fix it. (I hope) lol

But that's the back, you can't see that from inside the park, so who cares. I'm sure they will do something to fix it. (I hope) lol

Ahem.
By the way, that view of the back side of the tail fins is not from the backstage area or even from some little area that has been hidden or inaccessible to the public... it's from the entrance drive to the land. :wave:

Reactions: Jymmymack
you still can't see it from inside the park, what's the big deal. I saw it on google earth, they can easily plant some trees and that can hide it a little. It's gonna have to be some big ass trees. Lmao

Last edited:
Plus, until the entrance is rerouted and/or completely redesigned, I don't think that back is changing any time soon, if ever. Do you see how close that butts up to the road?

[video=youtube;R5kPUFxXYLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5kPUFxXYLs[/video]

you still can't see it from inside the park, what's the big deal. I saw it on google earth, they can easily plant some trees and that can hide it a little. It's gonna have to be some big ass trees. Lmao
Why do that when you can leave it like it is like Everest...wasn't it Walt Disney who once sai
"Let's strive for excellence until someone is outside the gate then it doesn't matter anymore." :look:

p.s. nice clip Jymmymack....thought you outta know *faint*

Apparently changes are coming to DCA's Little Mermaid, which are in line with some of the things I wasn't impressed with about the ride (static figures that look like they belong in a store display, Under the Sea Ariel, CGI animation vs hand drawn).. It's good to know someone's listening over there.

Where'd you hear that UNIrd? Anything really specific? I hope it's true. The under the sea room is cute, but not the showstopper they were hoping it would be (I assume that's what you were talking about, as there are a lot of mobiles above and static characters throughout that room).

Where'd you hear that UNIrd? Anything really specific? I hope it's true. The under the sea room is cute, but not the showstopper they were hoping it would be (I assume that's what you were talking about, as there are a lot of mobiles above and static characters throughout that room).

It's in Al Lutz's latest article on MiceAge. Apparently Florida's version WON'T be a carbon copy as was originally stated and they want to make a few changes in the areas where the DCA version lacks. So we'll be seeing some minor changes to DCA's version soon as Florida's is being constructed.

Here's a link to the article as it's pretty long and I think it's okay to post: http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al011712a.htm

Reactions: Jymmymack
From the sound of that article, the Florida version WILL be a carbon copy of the revamped version. They say that it is nearly identical.

Yes but at first they literally meant carbon copy (as in, we'll just order 2 of everything) but it seems Florida's might be a bit longer and may have some minor differences.