Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ehh personally I think it takes away from the monorail and its futuristic appearance. Not a fan...

First off, some awesome new nighttime looks at Cars Land from Disney Parks Blog:

More of Cars Land at Night Through a Photographer’s Lens at Disney California Adventure Park​

As construction wraps up in Cars Land, parts of the land gradually become “ready for their close-up.” And that’s when we can get to work on taking photos of what this amazing place will actually look like when it welcomes its first Disney California Adventure park guests on June 15.

Last month, I was able to share some of the first photos of Cars Land as it will be seen once the sun goes down, and today I’m pleased to be able to share a few more to help tell the whole story out in Radiator Springs.

So, cue the “Sh-Boom” song and let’s have a look!

i3nU5xdBPLNgz.jpg

ihdANgaMPkYRl.jpg

Flo’s V8 Cafe is simply irresistible. And Ramone’s House of Body Art adds even more color to every shot. You won’t believe your eyes (or your lens!).

i9ifOIYOVic1d.jpg

iH6ebPe6zhoP6.jpg

As pleased as I am with how these shots turned out, I have to tell you, nothing compares with actually standing on Route 66 surrounded by this beautiful neon with that incredible mountain range in the distance. And one piece of advice: Bring your camera!

Disney Parks Blog also released this video that features the recording of new music for the Carthay Circle restaurant that is inspired by classic Disney melodies:

Cue the Dining Music at Carthay Circle Restaurant in Disney California Adventure Park​

Nothing sets the mood over a tasty meal like just the right music. In this video, we take you behind the scenes and into the recording studio with Bill Cantos. Cantos is the music arranger of all the tunes that you’ll hear in the new Carthay Circle Restaurant in Disney California Adventure park. His task was to arrange classic Disney music and give it a timeless sound that blends into the atmosphere of the restaurant. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;HIoidr0xFjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoidr0xFjY[/video]​

Reservations for Carthay Circle Restaurant may be made by calling the Disney Dine Line (714-781-DINE) or emailing dining reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com.

MiceChat shot some interesting photos over the weekend:

(The "FF&P" is short for Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical; a playful throwback to the three little pigs story) A new sign has emerged for the cafe that will do double duty as a Starbucks:

ibljzjPStKSzse.jpg

Tim Burton kookyness:

ixXcSTdvfzwVW.jpg

A look at the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain:

ib08nMceL6lH7D.jpg

Westcoaster also has some great looks of DCA:

This problem is yet to be resolved:

ibvqhyr80cFlBc.jpg

Even more Tim Burton kookyness:

ibrlIgm6kaZl5A.jpg

iKiKSKVkb0Ltj.jpg

Route 66 construction wrapping up:

igzWK2kHydZJO.jpg

Radiator Springs Racers is testing continually until opening day:

i2h1GOS1hnFU.jpg

JS care to explain your thoughts?
I won't speak for him, but I think I know. Carsland is an amazing achievement in themed environment, but at the same time, it's based on Cars and only exists because of John Lassetire and merch sales. So, on one hand, it's an amazing recreation of an animated environment, but it's fricking Cars.

Why for!?

JS care to explain your thoughts?

Carsland has a ridiculous amount of love, care, detail, and time pumped into it. From every view, it's a beautiful land. It's got a lavish E-ticket that will at the very least be a good addition. From the sound of things, the food will be fantastic. Sure, it has two disappointing flat rides, but all in all it looks to be a winner.

But...

All of this effort went into a land based on freaking Cars. Cars. Pixar's weakest effort creatively and cinematicly. A movie that features a character I find on par with Jar Jar Binks, and a sequel so horrifyingly unnecessary it made me question Pixar. If this effort went into a worthy franchise or even something completely original like the car culture land that was originally designed we'd have a land that would stand for the ages. Instead we have one that I could see becoming irrelevant after a decade. Cars just doesn't have the legs that something like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, or Jurassic Park do. And we have a 600 million dollar land based on it.

EDIT: Exactly, Justice.

Skip, Disney is a business. You have to understand that all ideas for new attractions are now born in financial and marketing board rooms. Not in a creative free-for-all led by Imagineers. Cars is a merchandising juggernaut for young boys, a target that Disney has found difficult to strike a nerve in for so many years.

Couple that in with the fact that Cars is Lasseter's baby and voila... we get an incredibly themed land. WWOHP is thrilling people who have never picked up a Potter book or even seen a movie. I'm sure once you're there, you'll forget how little you care about Cars and enjoy it for the unbelievably immersive themed experience that it is.

Haven't they been testing this thing for 3 months now? Why no people... imagineers in the vehicles yet? Too, note that even Disney fails at some landscaping transplants. The large tree in the last photo is dead as a doornail.

All of this effort went into a land based on freaking Cars. Cars. Pixar's weakest effort creatively and cinematicly.

I agree!

young boys, a target that Disney has found difficult to strike a nerve in for so many years.

Are you really suggesting that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies didn't bake that cake quite nicely for them?

Last edited:
UNIrd referenced that Cars has been a "merchandising juggernaut". The total payoff from the profit generated from Cars toys merited the land in the eyes of Disney's financial team, not the profit generated from the theatrical runs of the movies.

This land was greenlit because of the sales of Lightning McQueen lunch boxes. True story........

Skip, Disney is a business. You have to understand that all ideas for new attractions are now born in financial and marketing board rooms. Not in a creative free-for-all led by Imagineers. Cars is a merchandising juggernaut for young boys, a target that Disney has found difficult to strike a nerve in for so many years.

Young boys were never Disney's problem. Older boys were. And the Cars merch will eventually stop selling, and the movies aren't good enough to hold up throughout the years.

Couple that in with the fact that Cars is Lasseter's baby and voila... we get an incredibly themed land. WWOHP is thrilling people who have never picked up a Potter book or even seen a movie. I'm sure once you're there, you'll forget how little you care about Cars and enjoy it for the unbelievably immersive themed experience that it is.

You seriously underestimate how much I hate Cars. I'm definitely going to enjoy it, but it's going to nag at me the entire time I'm there.

The total payoff from the profit generated from Cars toys merited the land in the eyes of Disney's financial team, not the profit generated from the theatrical runs of the movies.

That is what I meant... the POC franchise sold TONS of merchandise... tons! My point was that Disney has not had a hard time with young boys merchandise. They have not been sitting around wringing their hands for the past ten years for a want of young boy product sales as was suggested. Do they want MORE... probably. POC toys were logical for the short run... Cars toys aren't worthy of anything other than a short run. But Disney will probably cram it hard anyway... force it to work.