Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DreamWorks Destination - KidZone

This seems alright for the target demographic. I guess I was expecting at least some tribute store level thought and care. Lightly themed environments for each of the big franchise meet-and-greets and such. Like a Chinese gazebo to hold Kung Fu Panda with some of the Chinese New Year decor. Or something arts-and-craftsy for the Trolls area.

No doubt it's unfair to expect too much of this, but there are nonetheless some things they could do to make this more interesting.

This seems alright for the target demographic. I guess I was expecting at least some tribute store level thought and care. Lightly themed environments for each of the big franchise meet-and-greets and such. Like a Chinese gazebo to hold Kung Fu Panda with some of the Chinese New Year decor. Or something arts-and-craftsy for the Trolls area.

No doubt it's unfair to expect too much of this, but there are nonetheless some things they could do to make this more interesting.

Yea… very unfair… :lol: It’s a temporary quick fix

Looks fine for what it is, a temporary pop-up character experience that'll provide more AC and help with capacity. The latter being extra important since the parks are getting busier pretty quick, so the more things to disperse the crowds the better.

The Tribute stores are developed over several months. This was probably put together in, like, two.

Looks like they added projection equipment to the building, if that’s the case, fairly large investment. The inside of this makes me think it is designed to stick around for as long as they need it to

How long does it have to stick around before it ceases to be a "temporary" thing? Beyond the end of the summer?

Mind you, I'm fine with something occupying that space, and I don't really expect any significant changes in the area to open until 2026 at the earliest. But I do wish they'd just get it over with.

How long does it have to stick around before it ceases to be a "temporary" thing? Beyond the end of the summer?

Mind you, I'm fine with something occupying that space, and I don't really expect any significant changes in the area to open until 2026 at the earliest. But I do wish they'd just get it over with.
This probably goes past the summer. Imagine how popular a Boss Baby meet-n-greet might be.

I think it’s temporary in the sense of it’ll be there until they come up with a permanent replacement for the area.

Looks like they added projection equipment to the building, if that’s the case, fairly large investment. The inside of this makes me think it is designed to stick around for as long as they need it to
Maybe not as big of an investment you might think. The projections look like default designs in an intelligent light fixture. Mid to high-end show lights can do those sorts of moving light patterns without any sort of media server. They’re the type of lights used Blue Man, for concerts, etc. Universal likely had some storage.

Maybe not as big of an investment you might think. The projections look like default designs in an intelligent light fixture. Mid to high-end show lights can do those sorts of moving light patterns without any sort of media server. They’re the type of lights used Blue Man, for concerts, etc. Universal likely had some storage.

I was going to say, I'm not seeing anything that required all that many resources.

This looks cute. Basically the end of Bill & Ted for kids, but standing room only.

I was going to say, I'm not seeing anything that required all that many resources.

This looks cute. Basically the end of Bill & Ted for kids, but standing room only.
I would think the entrance to this would be where Barney’s exit was as it can serve as both entrance and exit since there’s not a lot of people coming or going all at once.

The exit doors are also much more front and center in the courtyard, so would draw more attention.

they’d need blue up lighting, white cloud gobos and then Dreamworks logo Gobo. Possible for sure

they’d need blue up lighting, white cloud gobos and then Dreamworks logo Gobo. Possible for sure
There was a lighting set-up in there already to a point. I used to watch them play around with it every night when we used the theater as a break space in 2019 for HHN.

Cloud gobos are a typical built in look, as “sky” is a fairly standard scene. A custom glass gobo is a couple hundred bucks. And the cyc lights (if new to the venue) were either already on hand (think Grinchmas) or a fairly cheap investment.

Depending on their inventory of music, costumes, and lighting, they could have done this entire thing for less than $5,000.