Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018 | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At least something new is coming. Now, a neat concept would be showtimes, where from 9-6 it’s the newer film and then 6-close it’s an older film (panda). They should especially consider this during the non-peak days of the year.

It makes me wonder how they'd handle the preshow area. The cabinet with the prop hammer being displayed (and stolen) is prominently for Panda. It'd sit there looking useless all day if another show was running, and if they were to add new preshow prop effects for a new experience, they'd have to overhaul the entire preshow area to find a way to be able to accommodate both stories. Maybe they could turn the preshow room into more of a "DreamWorks Museum" type thing, so you could have multiple little display cabinets of DreamWorks stuff, with each cabinet "activating," so to speak, based on which story is running (like the hammer being stolen from the Panda cabinet).

It makes me wonder how they'd handle the preshow area. The cabinet with the prop hammer being displayed (and stolen) is prominently for Panda. It'd sit there looking useless all day if another show was running, and if they were to add new preshow prop effects for a new experience, they'd have to overhaul the entire preshow area to find a way to be able to accommodate both stories. Maybe they could turn the preshow room into more of a "DreamWorks Museum" type thing, so you could have multiple little display cabinets of DreamWorks stuff, with each cabinet "activating," so to speak, based on which story is running (like the hammer being stolen from the Panda cabinet).
The hammer prop in all likely hood is a projected illusion. I believe when you project images at a certain angle, it can appear three dimensional. When Kang's hand grabs the hammer it has a transparent effect when he pulls it down. That way aside from changing the pedestal in the case, it could be changed easily to another prop.

The hammer prop in all likely hood is a projected illusion. I believe when you project images at a certain angle, it can appear three dimensional. When Kang's hand grabs the hammer it has a transparent effect when he pulls it down. That way aside from changing the pedestal in the case, it could be changed easily to another prop.

Just saw it up close today, and yeah, it’s a physical prop.

Last edited:
Looks like the hammer has fiber optics.
No way it could be 100% projection. Regardless, it can't be too hard to swap it out.
Looks to be a relatively simple effect otherwise...

I have a wild theory as to why there's no overlay for Dream Works theater. I have no inside intel whatsoever, this is just some wild theory:

You guys think the reason why rumors of a new theme for DWT have completely died because....well, this attraction might get the axe for Bourne? I heard some rumor a while back about Parisian getting the axe for something akin to DWT, so maybe that would be its spiritual replacement to this?

I'm theorizing this because I just can't see Bourne going anywhere else except DWT. Even if you did put it in the lower lot, it would just seem like a hard sell if you want to expand the lower lot for more rides.

I have a wild theory as to why there's no overlay for Dream Works theater. I have no inside intel whatsoever, this is just some wild theory:

You guys think the reason why rumors of a new theme for DWT have completely died because....well, this attraction might get the axe for Bourne? I heard some rumor a while back about Parisian getting the axe for something akin to DWT, so maybe that would be its spiritual replacement to this?

I'm theorizing this because I just can't see Bourne going anywhere else except DWT. Even if you did put it in the lower lot, it would just seem like a hard sell if you want to expand the lower lot for more rides.
Is it big enough? Unless it's going to have no Q or take over part of the fake New York sets, not sure how it would fit there

Would this rumored thing that would take over Parisian be something related to the Illumination related? And would DWT be demoed or would the building be repurposed? If push came to shove maybe Bourne could go in the Mummy building. USH's mummy is hands down the worse version of the ride and it did not get the extensive refurbishment USF's recently got.

1665459107966.png

1665459154937.png

The problem I guess I have with this idea, is that they just renovated the building four years ago; and it worked really well as a Shrek 4D replacement. Also would imagine that they'd have to gut the theater again if this was to happen.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Is it big enough? Unless it's going to have no Q or take over part of the fake New York sets, not sure how it would fit there
If they cheated the space carefully enough, it would maaaaaaaybe work. There is a while unused section of building behind the screen. But I think a full tear-down would be the more likely option. That building is really old. It's been there since the late 70's/early 80's. Fun fact: They build the Shrek walls over the old Nickelodeon show/Rugrats walls.
Would this rumored thing that would take over Parisian be something related to the Illumination related? And would DWT be demoed or would the building be repurposed? If push came to shove maybe Bourne could go in the Mummy building. USH's mummy is hands down the worse version of the ride and it did not get the extensive refurbishment USF's recently got.
That's as far as my knowledge goes. It was a rumor that I think was posted a while back. I would imagine it would be something Illumination-related (Most likely Sing). But a DWT Sing show would absolutely make sense for that space. We'd lose an HHN venue but oh well.

While I agree that the Mummy is ripe for replacement, especially with a legitimate coaster likely coming, I think a stunt show would be a horrible replacement for an actual ride. Maybe if they were to use the space to have another outdoor launch coaster, I could see them using the space for both that and Bourne. Plus, the lower lot can get quite crowded, so having a show where the crowd would spill out would be a mess. I know someone proposed on the Bourne rumor thread about putting it right behind Transformers, but it would be so awkwardly placed and out-of-reach from everything it just wouldn't make any sense.

Think about this: With F&F wiping out two entertainment venues, that just leaves WW. They need at least one more entertainment venue to be used for the show, an HHN show, and other possible events. DWT would seem like the most ideal location to do this.

View attachment 17665

View attachment 17666

The problem I guess I have with this idea, is that they just renovated the building four years ago; and it worked really well as a Shrek 4D replacement. Also would imagine that they'd have to gut the theater again if this was to happen.
I realize the show will only be five years old next year, but like I said earlier, if you want a daytime indoor stuntshow, a flex event venue for panels, press events etc. as well as a show venue for HHN, this would be the most ideal spot. If they really wanted to carry over the DWT concept to Parisian with an Illumination IP, they can certainly do that if they had the queue and lobby on the first floor and the show and preshow on the second.

If they cheated the space carefully enough, it would maaaaaaaybe work. There is a while unused section of building behind the screen. But I think a full tear-down would be the more likely option. That building is really old. It's been there since the late 70's/early 80's. Fun fact: They build the Shrek walls over the old Nickelodeon show/Rugrats walls.

That's as far as my knowledge goes. It was a rumor that I think was posted a while back. I would imagine it would be something Illumination-related (Most likely Sing). But a DWT Sing show would absolutely make sense for that space. We'd lose an HHN venue but oh well.

While I agree that the Mummy is ripe for replacement, especially with a legitimate coaster likely coming, I think a stunt show would be a horrible replacement for an actual ride. Maybe if they were to use the space to have another outdoor launch coaster, I could see them using the space for both that and Bourne. Plus, the lower lot can get quite crowded, so having a show where the crowd would spill out would be a mess. I know someone proposed on the Bourne rumor thread about putting it right behind Transformers, but it would be so awkwardly placed and out-of-reach from everything it just wouldn't make any sense.

Think about this: With F&F wiping out two entertainment venues, that just leaves WW. They need at least one more entertainment venue to be used for the show, an HHN show, and other possible events. DWT would seem like the most ideal location to do this.

I realize the show will only be five years old next year, but like I said earlier, if you want a daytime indoor stuntshow, a flex event venue for panels, press events etc. as well as a show venue for HHN, this would be the most ideal spot. If they really wanted to carry over the DWT concept to Parisian with an Illumination IP, they can certainly do that if they had the queue and lobby on the first floor and the show and preshow on the second.
Maybe Bourne could replace Water World. If DWT does not close next year it is staying. Bourne would likely be the addition for 2025. So construction would have to start next year. After all SLOP took 2 years to build and Bourne would be way more complex than Pets.

View attachment 17665

View attachment 17666

Most of the renovations done to the theater were pretty inexpensive. Most of the expensive stuff they added could easily be transferred to a new venue.

If they do close and remove DWT, I hope the replacement venue they put in will address the sight lines from WWOHP. The Bob Ross tree mural is looking rough these days. I would love to see that wall get an actual WWOHP facade to blend in with the rest of the town.

Maybe Bourne could replace Water World. If DWT does not close next year it is staying. Bourne would likely be the addition for 2025. So construction would have to start next year. After all SLOP took 2 years to build and Bourne would be way more complex than Pets.
I seriously doubt Bourne will replace WW. That is way too much precious space to use for one stunt show when they can probably get an entire land out of that space. Besides, Water World still pulls in the crowds, so until the time comes to maximize that space, why not just keep it around for a little bit. I don’t see Water World leaving until at least 2030.
Most of the renovations done to the theater were pretty inexpensive. Most of the expensive stuff they added could easily be transferred to a new venue.

If they do close and remove DWT, I hope the replacement venue they put in will address the sight lines from WWOHP. The Bob Ross tree mural is looking rough these days. I would love to see that wall get an actual WWOHP facade to blend in with the rest of the town.
Yeah I could see them repurposing the seats and projectors for a DWT-style show in Parisian courtyard if they wanted to. Considering the reskinning is fairly in expensive (at least in theory), I don’t think a full tear down of the venue to put in Bourne is out of the question. At least they would finally address that out-of-place New York facade.

I seriously doubt Bourne will replace WW. That is way too much precious space to use for one stunt show when they can probably get an entire land out of that space. Besides, Water World still pulls in the crowds, so until the time comes to maximize that space, why not just keep it around for a little bit. I don’t see Water World leaving until at least 2030.

Yeah I could see them repurposing the seats and projectors for a DWT-style show in Parisian courtyard if they wanted to. Considering the reskinning is fairly in expensive (at least in theory), I don’t think a full tear down of the venue to put in Bourne is out of the question. At least they would finally address that out-of-place New York facade.
I believe on the State of USH form there has been speculation that in the long term Universal plans on demoing soundstages on the lower lot for theme park expansion. Heck they could probably do more if the rumored Warner Bros Discovery NBCUniversal deal comes to pass in 2024-2025 and they can move more film production across to road to the WB lot. Bourne could go down there on the lower lot if that happens. I just don't see DWT closing as it's five years old and is a nice family attraction. But that niche could be filled in they do a DWT like show in Parisian as you mentioned above. But I think Comcast would still want to have some Dreamworks presence in USH. If the Bourne coming to Hollywood rumors were actually legit, hopefully we will find out more in the future.