Dune at Universal? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Would you like to see Dune at IOA?

• Total voters
I don't think that Dune has enough fan power to support a ride. I will confess that I was confused by Star Wars being in the selection as it is at Hollywood Studios. I'm still of the opinion that Hyrule or another Nintendo adventure property should be the next thing added (replacing Poseidon's Fury and that whole area could become a Zelda land) and then something over in Toon Lagoon.

Dune is just lesser known and not easily translated into a ride. Just an opinion.

I don't think that Dune has enough fan power to support a ride. I will confess that I was confused by Star Wars being in the selection as it is at Hollywood Studios. I'm still of the opinion that Hyrule or another Nintendo adventure property should be the next thing added (replacing Poseidon's Fury and that whole area could become a Zelda land) and then something over in Toon Lagoon.

Dune is just lesser known and not easily translated into a ride. Just an opinion.
OMG you would suggest Nintendo take over MORE of the parks...smdh

I'm with everyone saying a ride but no land. The thing is I don't think it would ever be made even if it was just a ride. We'll really know based on how well the movie stays in the public conciousness.
This book is part of the collective for over 50 years, it's the basis for many sci-fi books and movies that came after it. So if that is the measure it should have been in a theme park already. Thing is it's hard to translate to anything else than the book. There is a reason the theme parks ip's are mostly based on very simple movies.

This book is part of the collective for over 50 years, it's the basis for many sci-fi books and movies that came after it. So if that is the measure it should have been in a theme park already. Thing is it's hard to translate to anything else than the book. There is a reason the theme parks ip's are mostly based on very simple movies.
Keep it simple, is generally a better path to success with the general public that's not overly familiar with an IP. Potter was an exception, and even Disney found out that
over complicating a very familiar Star Wars IP was not a good idea.

While Dune is ‘known’ in the science fiction community, it really is next to non-existent in the general public. If not for the current movie, we wouldn’t even have this thread. I’ve never once ever heard anyone mention wanting a Dune land or ride until today.
It could make for a cool attraction, but I don’t see Universal doing this.

I'm just curious to get people's takes/opinions on this. With the popularity of the franchise at an all-time high right now, do you think that having a Dune related land and attraction would be possible at any of the Universal parks? In my opinion it could work. At least for an attraction, one where you're riding a sand-worm or something that's like Flight of Passage at DAK. It could be a coaster too but since EU doesn't have many simulator attractions like FOP, I feel that would work better since if it were to come to any Universal park it would probably be Epic.

Reactions: pigboy
Just because the popularity is at an all time high doesn’t mean that high is necessarily all that great. $44M in a second weekend is rough due to an opening sub-$100M. It can’t be compared to Avatar because Avatar was a box office behemoth, as was its sequel.

On the merits of if a ride could be based on it? Sure. The one issue is Dune’s demographic breakdown skews older and heavily male. Universal would have to be willing to pay for the licensing of the IP though and I just don’t see a reason as of right now when LotR is still out there to be had, has roughly the same demographics, and is far bigger.

• Angry
Reactions: saint.piss
Just because the popularity is at an all time high doesn’t mean that high is necessarily all that great. $44M in a second weekend is rough due to an opening sub-$100M. It can’t be compared to Avatar because Avatar was a box office behemoth, as was its sequel.
I didn't compare it to Avatar tho? Like I don't get where this is coming from lol. For a film like Dune that isn't on the same level as Avatar I would say it's doing pretty great anyway regardless.

On the merits of if a ride could be based on it? Sure. The one issue is Dune’s demographic breakdown skews older and heavily male. Universal would have to be willing to pay for the licensing of the IP though and I just don’t see a reason as of right now when LotR is still out there to be had, has roughly the same demographics, and is far bigger.
Well if it doesn't work out with LoTR I would say Dune is a decent IP replacement even if LoTR is more popular.

Reactions: pigboy
I don't like sand....
star wars GIF

I didn't compare it to Avatar tho? Like I don't get where this is coming from lol. For a film like Dune that isn't on the same level as Avatar I would say it's doing pretty great anyway regardless.

Well if it doesn't work out with LoTR I would say Dune is a decent IP replacement even if LoTR is more popular.
I misread your post in the part where you brought up Avatar. My mistake.

There's probably a place for Dune within theme parks, especially if things can't work out with LotR, but my point is it simply wouldn't be my first choice. It's not a flop but it's also not a smash hit so any theme park involvement imo would have to be based on a really cool ride imo that just so happens to be using the Dune IP imo.

This is getting many, many steps ahead of ourselves (Epic is still under construction) so let's just see where things go in the coming years regarding expansions and rethemed lands.

If I had to choose a WB "sand" IP.... it'd be the "Mad Max" franchise instead of "Dune". Most likely a stunt show similar to Waterworld.
(Except instead of searching for "dry land", it'd be "water" obviously)

If I had to choose a WB IP featuring sandworms, I'd choose "Beetlejuice" instead of "Dune". (Spooky dark ride)

But that's just me & my personal preference.