Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 145 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's more

Universal Orlando has taken its first steps of reopening as CityWalk will be opening in a limited capacity beginning May 14. Guests and Team Members must wear face coverings and undergo temp checks to enter.

Always questions to new rules. Would you expect they will allow people to bring and wear their own masks? Hopefully it is not an “our masks only (for purchase at cost)” deal.

Always questions to new rules. Would you expect they will allow people to bring and wear their own masks? Hopefully it is not an “our masks only (for purchase at cost)” deal.
The site says they will provide masks for those that don’t already have them and will also be selling masks. I assume “for those that don’t already have them” means you can bring your own

LA extending its stay at home through July not only cripples tourism for the entire summer, but film and TV production for MONTHS.

I'm just confused. CA numbers are low, people have been doing pretty well with it and its not good to not have businesses open. Why are we pushing it back another month?

I get telling people to stay home after work but think it's not a good idea to just keep pushing the date back when we are doing fine and aren't running the risk of it getting worst. Really why would July be safer than next month, no cure will be here by then

The site says they will provide masks for those that don’t already have them and will also be selling masks. I assume “for those that don’t already have them” means you can bring your own

UNI will sell masks that look like a Deatheater or maybe Marvel-themed masks. Sadly, this is where they missed out on having Mortal Kombat. You could wear a mask like Scorpion and walk around yelling, "Get over here!!"

UNI will sell masks that look like a Deatheater or maybe Marvel-themed masks. Sadly, this is where they missed out on having Mortal Kombat. You could wear a mask like Scorpion and walk around yelling, "Get over here!!"
Scorpion is not the best at social distancing. That move is like the antithesis of what he's supposed to be doing right now.

I like how Voodoo is on the list of places opening...Literally the smallest CityWalk place haha
At least here in CA the best idea would be to put out tables for people to sit outside. The one in CA is near the theater which has TONS of space in front of it for some tables. Maybe you will line up order and go eat outside

I'm happy for signs of life at Citywalk but I'd almost say at this point with that selection I'd rather not even bother to go.

I wonder if they could convert some space to outdoor seating and have more restaurants do takeout as well as spaced out seating. Could help get people to work and cash flow into the restaurants.

I'm just confused. CA numbers are low, people have been doing pretty well with it and its not good to not have businesses open. Why are we pushing it back another month?

I get telling people to stay home after work but think it's not a good idea to just keep pushing the date back when we are doing fine and aren't running the risk of it getting worst. Really why would July be safer than next month, no cure will be here by then
California’s numbers (as a state) are actually increasing, and still most areas urban areas are nowhere close to ticking all the boxes the state government has put out for reopening requirements (PPE and contact tracing are the big sticking points). The Bay Area has already been exempted from the state-wide reopening efforts because of it, so LA pushing back the stay at home order isn’t surprising.

I'm happy for signs of life at Citywalk but I'd almost say at this point with that selection I'd rather not even bother to go.

I wonder if they could convert some space to outdoor seating and have more restaurants do takeout as well as spaced out seating. Could help get people to work and cash flow into the restaurants.
Mville has that large deck, window service and the Lone Palm. Almost enough to operate if anyone shows up.

Ive heard that when the Uni restaurants start to open they will do so with increased outdoor seating

Ive heard that when the Uni restaurants start to open they will do so with increased outdoor seating
That would be such a great idea. CityWalk can offer outdoor seating when most regular restaurants simply don’t have the room.

The only restaurant I’m not sure would have enough space is Bubba Gump...unless Universal is willing to use the theater rotunda for seating. Servers would have to dart in between CityWalk traffic though.

California’s numbers (as a state) are actually increasing, and still most areas urban areas are nowhere close to ticking all the boxes the state government has put out for reopening requirements (PPE and contact tracing are the big sticking points). The Bay Area has already been exempted from the state-wide reopening efforts because of it, so LA pushing back the stay at home order isn’t surprising.

I hate articles like this which are important, having some pop up saying "log in to view" as you scroll a little

Back on topic, well this is not good. thought we were doing great, I wonder if we are looking worst now because more people are finally being tested but man....this really sucks. I thought many places could open up by summer not end of summer.

LA extending its stay at home through July not only cripples tourism for the entire summer, but film and TV production for MONTHS.

We're going to kill our county's economy and end up caving, with the same macro results as everywhere else.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
We're going to kill our county's economy and end up caving, with the same macro results as everywhere else.
I really hope not, I'm just confused on what makes it safer in say 2 months than now? I get the whole lets not overrun hospitals but to my knowledge even in New York they managed.

So If CA is still on lockdown by September, I hope many business rebel and just open and if they are being safe about it I will support them because a Cure will not be here anytime this year.
Edit: Added the not...because I doubt there will be any cure this year

Last edited:
Reactions: eas014

Krugman seems to think that opening up too soon is just as disastrous. I think that CA probably has the right approach, it's just a question of whether or not they have the budget to be able to tell the feds to shove it.

because a Cure will be here anytime this year.
???

Reactions: Teebin
I really hope not, I'm just confused on what makes it safer in say 2 months than now? I get the whole lets not overrun hospitals but to my knowledge even in New York they managed.

So If CA is still on lockdown by September, I hope many business rebel and just open and if they are being safe about it I will support them because a Cure will be here anytime this year.
I think the important thing to remember about the Safer At Home end date (or really any dates/deadlines surrounding this pandemic) is that it's not etched in stone. Just like it seems as if they are pushing back the quarantine sort of suddenly and at will, they can push it up just as suddenly, if the science and data support it.

Say, for instance, we experience a miracle and the threat is significantly mitigated by the end of this month -- they could end the quarantine on June 1st, if it was feasible That is for sure not gonna happen, but you would not see them hold the same August 1st deadline if June 1st was clearly and totally safe. A closed Los Angeles county effects them as much as us; it benefits nobody to keep things closed.

Your best bet: follow protocol, shelter in place, and hope enough people also follow protocol and shelter in place so we can get out of this faster.

Reactions: deadbydawn

So If CA is still on lockdown by September, I hope many business rebel and just open and if they are being safe about it I will support them because a Cure will be here anytime this year.
They do the same here in Pennsylvania. When you get close to the goal line, they move the goal line further away with new requirements. Originally it was only flatten the curve so you wouldn't overwhelm the hospital beds & ventilators (which didn't even get close to happening except in NYC & Detroit, now they have such a huge surplus of ventilators they're shipping them out of the country), and they added that flattening the curve would actually extend the pandemic, which it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.