Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that's not being talked about... I think Tenet and Mulan may have to move with LA locked down through the end of July. If LA and NYC, the two largest markets, aren't both open, I somehow doubt that those movies open and the studios still haven't started marketing campaigns yet, so there's still time to make a change. In order to start a marketing campaign imo, they need to have 100% certainty that they can open the movies and people will actually be able to show up.

Reactions: Andysol
Something that's not being talked about... I think Tenet and Mulan may have to move with LA locked down through the end of July. If LA and NYC, the two largest markets, aren't both open, I somehow doubt that those movies open and the studios still haven't started marketing campaigns yet, so there's still time to make a change. In order to start a marketing campaign imo, they need to have 100% certainty that they can open the movies and people will actually be able to show up.

It sucks Disney Plus and HBO max can't just have rental's where you pay ten bucks extra for these films.

Also even though it's a month after...I doubt Wonder Woman comes out in August.

Reactions: TheGentTrent
And now the news about Hamilton going on Disney+ early makes even more sense. He knew about this ahead of time.
Not sure why airing it on Disney+ (and Disney writing it off as a loss) vrs showing in theaters makes any difference to the stage production. Disney paid the $75 million ages ago. Its not like they're getting a new infusion of cash. (In fact, if the deal called for any percentage of profits they were just wiped out)

Not sure why airing it on Disney+ (and Disney writing it off as a loss) vrs showing in theaters makes any difference to the stage production. Disney paid the $75 million ages ago. Its not like they're getting a new infusion of cash. (In fact, if the deal called for any percentage of profits they were just wiped out)
It wasn't supposed to show in theaters until October 2021 (which meant not on Disney+ until roughly March 2022) and clearly it's ready now. They were holding it so that the shows could continue making money and by October 2021, most of the tours were going to be coming to an end anyway. Right now there's no start date in sight for Broadway, West End or any Touring productions, so this is the optimal time to bring Hamilton home. This will help tide over fans who maybe had tickets to see the show and will be a fun thing for fans who never got to see the OBC or maybe just has never seen the show period.

There has always been a worry (from the money people; Lin has been talking about this since 2016-ish) about giving the show to people in their homes though since it still commands such high ticket prices. If people see it for virtually free, then what reason do they have to pay upwards of $500 for a ticket? Obviously fans will, but will the GP? This is Broadway's biggest crossover to mainstream since Rent i'd say and if they lose some of the GP, then that means they can't charge as much. Or perhaps this will have the inverse and only create more demand now that the 55 Million and counting on Disney+ will have access to it.

Also, as stated in the Hamilton thread, Disney got more than just the rights to this live version for $75M. The got exclusive right to any future Hamilton related content, including a potential Hamilton movie. They also have the distribution rights for the live music from this current film and music from any potential movie in the future. I think in the long run Disney more than makes their money back on the $75M.

On the topic of film, I live here in Atlanta and have been getting casting/crew calls for The Conjuring 3, which is “supposedly” starting production next month...
A horror movie like that is normally a quick shoot, but if they go into production, they damn well better make sure everyone has a mask on set except for the actors when rolling. Similar to a professional sports or to theater, illnesses running through the cast and crew on movie sets is pretty common.

Last edited:
On restaurants....I'm surprised there hasn't been a large rebirth of the car hop restaurants that were very prevalent in the 50's and 60's. The 'real' Mel' s Restaurant. That would work well with these face mask provisions.....and just to add, if I was a young guy and wanted to make a splash in the 'always tough' restaurant business...I would look for a failing restaurant (there will be a ton of them) with a large parking lot in a decent community, and pick up the lease. Partition off the parking lot, like a drive in movie lot. Hire some hot waitresses/waiters. Institute mobile ordering. The car pulls into the stall. Orders mobile. The waitress/waiter brings out the order on a tray that attaches to your pulled down car window. In the 50's 60's the wait staff came out on roller skates usually, good gimmick at the time maybe something different now. You eat in your car, as do all the other people. Your restaurant becomes the hot social spot in town since everyone can hang together, yell out from their cars, and social distance in groups with masks on or off outside, where it's safer than indoors. In the new CV social scene, where everything has really slowed down, and people are craving social interaction, a return to an old system that worked well in that type of environment could be gold.

I'm surprised that things like this aren't popping up. I'm not downplaying the severity of this pandemic but there is a lot of opportunity for things to be done that would be impossible before and provide a lot of good will.

Crazy ideas:
  • You allow Universal AP holders to actually drive into the park for a drive in meal at Mel's. Mobile ordering for as little contact as possible with a photo op of you in your car in front of the famous Mel's Drive In sign.
  • Create a drive in theatre on the roof of the parking garage. Cinemark provide the cinema, select carry out items for places in CityWalk, Voodoo donuts.

Scorpion is not the best at social distancing. That move is like the antithesis of what he's supposed to be doing right now.

I didn't think about that. I was thinking that it would be a good way for parents to corral their kids although that harpoon is a little harsh. How about Subzero? He could freeze people to keep them away. Also, if you wore a Subzero mask and made it to getting on the Hagrid's coaster, there could be an announcement saying, "Subzero wins!!" If you manage to get on F&F, it would simply say, "Fatality".

I'm surprised that things like this aren't popping up. I'm not downplaying the severity of this pandemic but there is a lot of opportunity for things to be done that would be impossible before and provide a lot of good will.

Crazy ideas:
  • You allow Universal AP holders to actually drive into the park for a drive in meal at Mel's. Mobile ordering for as little contact as possible with a photo op of you in your car in front of the famous Mel's Drive In sign.
  • Create a drive in theatre on the roof of the parking garage. Cinemark provide the cinema, select carry out items for places in CityWalk, Voodoo donuts.
The logistics behind something like that simply aren’t worth it and it would probably cost them money with all the labor required. It would also disrupt BOH operations as that’s how cars would have to either come in or exit.

Looking at the spike in numbers yesterday; it's looking like we're going to see a mild increase this week in Florida (they do a running tally every Saturday for a 7 day average). It likely won't be that large statewide. Mainly because last week (3rd-9th) was an all time low for the State.

But specifically, as it relates to Tourism, I've been watching Orange and Osceola Counties; which were also an all time low and way below other counties of similar population over the last 2 weeks. Regarding those counties; it's averaging to look like around a 30% jump in positive cases. It appears we're about to start seeing the effects of lockdowns being restricted with this weekend's numbers.

If you want to play around with the numbers: Florida's tracking system got an A+ rating and is relatively intuitive if anyone cares to dig into the data.

Looking at the spike in numbers yesterday; it's looking like we're going to see a mild increase this week in Florida (they do a running tally every Saturday for a 7 day average). It likely won't be that large statewide. Mainly because last week (3rd-9th) was an all time low for the State.

But specifically, as it relates to Tourism, I've been watching Orange and Osceola Counties; which were also an all time low and way below other counties of similar population over the last 2 weeks. Regarding those counties; it's averaging to look like around a 30% jump in positive cases. It appears we're about to start seeing the effects of lockdowns being restricted with this weekend's numbers.

If you want to play around with the numbers: Florida's tracking system got an A+ rating and is relatively intuitive if anyone cares to dig into the data.
Tuesday is usually catch up day on all the charts, resulting from weekend under reporting. I no longer pay attention to catch up spikes.

Reactions: fryoj

Tuesday is usually catch up day on all the charts, resulting from weekend under reporting. I no longer pay attention to catch up spikes.
They are ramping up testing in Florida and some nursing home data was added that was not included before. No surprise there are new cases but the positive rate is pretty good and getting better. Death rate is trending down as well.

Latest weekly positive rate for Hillsborough county (mine) is 1.3% Yep, really low but it has a large population (#1 county in Florida)
We just opened up a bunch of stuff this week, let's see what happens

Reactions: Mad Dog
The logistics behind something like that simply aren’t worth it and it would probably cost them money with all the labor required. It would also disrupt BOH operations as that’s how cars would have to either come in or exit.

True but it's an example of things that could have been possible and will never have a chance to do again. Was there still a lot of BOH stuff going on? I'd imagine its starting to ramp up again as reopening becomes more realistic.

This one might not be so crazy, we have a few pop-ups doing essentially this here in the Houston area now. Universal has access to a such huge film catalogue, they could make it an entire film series if they really wanted to.

Reactions: Nick
Are there bathrooms in the parking garages? I never noticed. I like the idea of drive in movies... you could have 2 screens on top of both garages. I think it is a great idea.

We weren't but "waiting to see how the economy is doing before proceeding" is not a good sign.
Oh, I see what you mean. That definitely has dire implications but I don't know what else they could say. Every industry has said something similar: wait till this disappears and reassess the situation then, when global economic stability is a less fluid entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.