Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 180 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see if tourism to Orlando starts to slowly trickle up, or if it stays flat. I kind of think once WDW opens they'll be a 'small to moderate' jump. WDW is, by far, more a vacation destination than Universal.

not just orlando but FL beaches in general.
i dont know if beaches are fully opening but i wonder how many people will show up to FL between the parks and beaches.

What is the mindset that is going on here? Is it because they are young and invincible? It makes me sick to think about.

Before we rail on Vegas too hard, outside of theme park destinations, Orlando been about the same. Lunch at Subway this week, 1 in 12 who came in wearing a mask. Tonight at Walgreens, I was the only mask-wearer in half a dozen, including the clerk.

In 21 days, the scene will be very different from today.....based on what's coming out from FL and other states.

I didn’t quite know what you meant by this as I wasn’t following closely. HOY! I hope none of you in Hillsborough or Osceola require an ICU real soon. They’re just about plum out. A few counties are.

JY6fx6o.png

• Sad
Reactions: TheGentTrent
So the numbers for the parks look like they've been really low. Does anyone know if they've been at "capacity" and it's just really set that low for now, or have they still had reservations available?

I was thinking that with attendance so low they must be losing money, but at the same time they were losing money all along since Universal never furloughed full time employees and has been paying them for 32 hours a week. I guess even if they are below "capacity" they're still making SOME money and not just paying it out so it's still an improvement.

It was interesting going to Disney Springs for the first time on Saturday and seeing how few people were there (it was rainy), but also being surprised how many were tourists just there for something to do. People are definitely still coming to Orlando from out of town.

While there is still more to come, looking at Universal, I feel like Disney made the best decision, but it wouldn’t have been the best decision if Universal had also waited. All of Orlando’s parks are reliant on the travel “machine” of flights, hotels, transportation, etc. all of which has been largely frozen or reduced since March. As a result, nobody is really coming to Orlando, with a few exceptions, that isn’t driving and comfortable with potential exposure; these two conditions seriously limit the target audience. With that in mind, these systems need some level of “it’s okay” at the parks to begin restarting, which is (IMO) why Universal is so dead, because they were the first one to start to prime the pump. Once SeaWorld reopens, the power will get stronger, which (I think Disney hopes), will be enough to have a significant number of people in Orlando in time for Disney’s reopenings. Especially with most flight patterns to MCO resuming in mid to late June, it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

I think a lot of the decision to open is based on building momentum. Open now to start turning revenue, work the kinks out of a social distancing park, and give people confidence. Most out of state tourist wont book a vacation unless they are reasonably certain the parks will be open and safe. This confidence will come with a track record of being open, remaining open, and positive press coverage. None of which can happen until the gates are open.

Most out of state tourist wont book a vacation unless they are reasonably certain the parks will be open and safe. This confidence will come with a track record of being open, remaining open, and positive press coverage. None of which can happen until the gates are open.

We also have to consider that there are people who are not going to come for either a) they refuse to wear a mask all day in the parks and/or b) they are not willing to come and pay the same price for a lesser than "normal" experience - more so applies to Disney with all the things they are cutting that are core to their experience (like parades, Dining plans, ADRs, FP+, fireworks, Character Meet and Greets etc.)

We also have to consider that there are people who are not going to come for either a) they refuse to wear a mask all day in the parks and/or b) they are not willing to come and pay the same price for a lesser than "normal" experience - more so applies to Disney with all the things they are cutting that are core to their experience (like parades, Dining plans, ADRs, FP+, fireworks, Character Meet and Greets etc.)
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with those assumptions. . Probably very significant reasons for most tourists. Vacations are supposedly about fun & relaxation, not a number of restrictions. Plus, having an experience commensurate with how much it's costing you. Those aspects are not too onerous for a Floridian or adjacent state resident visiting, but they are probably make or break reasons for many, if not most, long distance tourists.

While I'll go my local parks and have an AP, no way I'd pay full price for a lesser experience going to Florida right now.

I'm still glad they are open for workers and the people who want to go, it's not like they can be closed forever so I get why they opened and hopefully more people show up.

Last edited:
Per VisitKingsIsland.com, these are the opening dates and the restrictions/procedures that will be in place:

Key Park Opening Dates:
  • Park Open to Season Passholders: July 2 – 11
  • Park Open to Season Passholders and Daily Ticketholders: Beginning Sunday, July 12
“We are ready to welcome our guests back to Kings Island for some long-overdue fun,” said Mike Koontz, General Manager of Kings Island. “The safety of our guests and associates has always been and will always be our top priority. The park’s new health and safety protocols align with CDC recommendations, and have been shaped by information from company and industry health and safety experts, along with our state and local government officials.”
New protocols to create a safe and clean environment include:
  • A new online reservation system; each guest is required to have a reservation prior to their visit to enable capacity management;
  • A requirement to complete a pre-visit health screening declaration 24 hours prior to admission;
  • A touchless temperature screening prior to entering the facility for both guests and associates;
  • Requirements for all guests, associates and vendors to wear masks as directed by the protocols
  • Social distancing markers throughout the park, including ride queue lines;
  • Limited guest/associate contact;
  • Enhanced cleaning procedures, including additional deep cleaning and sanitization of restrooms, dining facilities and other busy areas;
  • Additional hand sanitization stations; and
  • Capacity management throughout the park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.