Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 181 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im certainly not one to necessarily advocate for Big Brother, its really just my guilty pleasure show in between Survivor seasons that gives me enough of a strategy game to keep myself entertained, but, this may be one of if not the first show we see back in production. Rumors are they're dong some sort of all stars so they can quarantine their cast, test before flying out, test once they arrive, then, they're all locked in the same house anyways! What matters is keeping production safe which will be an entire other ordeal.

TV slate this fall/late summer is BLEAK to say the least, so, Big Brother already normally airs 3 times a week during a season and adding an extra night or hour to one of those episodes wouldn't shock me. Id fully expect other than Survivor for these kind of reality shows/competition game shows to really take over this fall since many new shows will not have had time to produce episodes. Big Bother is all done live, as well. Which only helps them.

Im certainly not one to necessarily advocate for Big Brother, its really just my guilty pleasure show in between Survivor seasons that gives me enough of a strategy game to keep myself entertained, but, this may be one of if not the first show we see back in production. Rumors are they're dong some sort of all stars so they can quarantine their cast, test before flying out, test once they arrive, then, they're all locked in the same house anyways! What matters is keeping production safe which will be an entire other ordeal.

TV slate this fall/late summer is BLEAK to say the least, so, Big Brother already normally airs 3 times a week during a season and adding an extra night or hour to one of those episodes wouldn't shock me. Id fully expect other than Survivor for these kind of reality shows/competition game shows to really take over this fall since many new shows will not have had time to produce episodes. Big Bother is all done live, as well. Which only helps them.
I'm a BB fan as well (since Season 2!). It's heavily-rumored that this year will be an All-Star season. The only issue I see with a production of Big Brother is that they get a weekly restock of their food, which will all come from outside of the quarantined area, obviously. And if the set-building team is coming/going, then it's still possible to bring the virus into the house. I'm sure they would be tested often though so no big deal, really.

Last edited:
Pgh. Irish Festival cancelled, Three Rivers Art Festival cancelled, Heritage Festival cancelled, most all County Fairs in western Pa. cancelled so far. Kennywood to make an announcement later today on opening.

Reactions: Jocamom
I'm a BB fan as well (since Season 2!). It's heavily-rumored that this year will be an All-Star season. The only issue I see with a production of Big Brother is that they get a weekly restock of their food, which will all come from outside of the quarantined area, obviously. And if the set-building team is coming/going, then it's still possible to bring the virus into the house. I'm sure they would be tested often though so no big deal, really.
Aye nice! Ive been watching since BB10 and Dan, I did go back and see a few earlier seasons however. I haven't really liked any of the modern day seasons honestly but it'll be interesting to see who they can get for all stars.

Apparently Big Brother in Canada had to shutdown due to production not wanting to work or not being/feeling safe. It seems LA has plenty of testing available, so they may be able to test people who work in and out everyday. I also can't imagine the season being a full 100 days like normal but idk, we shall see. I do expect this to be the first "new" show we get post Covid, which in itself is interesting how its all handled.

These pictures should be bustling... taken 15 minutes ago. Such a nightmare.

bKxAOBX.jpg

gcuwnYJ.jpg

jBSDpFv.jpg

Maybe they heard you and went home.

Joking aside, they really need to be here now. Unfortunately, the governor has been changing the out of state visitor rules on a weekly basis. 14 day quarantine and then no quarantine and then back to quarantine and now it is that out of staters must arrive with a certificate of negativity. It's crazy town confusion.

The inn that opened next door this past weekend put out the no vacancy and shut off all the lights last night. These businesses must be spastic with fear.

Bar Harbor has become a Teebin summer paradise fantasy.............Kind of like an episode of the Twilight Zone.........Bring back that 'crazy' governor you had before.

Groovy Goat, a large sports bar on Turkey Lake Road maybe two minutes south of Volcano Bay, has closed. What I found interesting in their farewell Facebook post is a statement conventions aren't expected to return until 2022. They've been in contact with the county quite a bit (post also complains they couldn't get approval to set up tables in the parking lot), so I wonder is this is unofficially official word from OCCC itself.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Not at all wishing this on any of the local business surrounding the OCCC, but its worth mentioning, if that date is correct its going to be very interesting to see if Universal is able to pick up more land in between/around the EU resort and the current campus. Can't imagine Comcast isn't at least looking at this for future purchases.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Interesting aside....On the Kennywood Park thread I posted they are opening to the general public on July 11th, with most of the same restrictions we're seeing. I can't find this statement on the park website, but this is a quote from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette report on the opening of the three Parque Reundio parks, Kennywood, Idlewild, Sandcastle. Maybe the reporter got it wri\ong, but this is what he wrote, "Masks will be required for all staff and entrants, except children under 3 or those with a valid medical condition. They are not to be worn on any attraction or pool and are not necessary while waiting in line or walking between attractions." If that's correct, that would be a significant change from the standard we've been seeing.

Last edited:
Groovy Goat, a large sports bar on Turkey Lake Road maybe two minutes south of Volcano Bay, has closed.
That space had perpetual turnover even before this.

Would not surprise me if large conventions are done until 2022. Pretty much every major group locks down its dates for the following year by the conclusion of the current conference, so summer 2021 space and room blocks would normally be getting reserved now. And not sure there's an appetite to throw together something on short notice when people 1) are hesitant to travel and 2) have probably had the strings on their expense accounts tightened.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Interesting aside....On the Kennywood Park thread I posted they are opening to the general public on July 11th, with most of the same restrictions we're seeing. I can't find this statement on the park website, but this is a quote from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette report on the opening of the three Parque Reundio parks, Kennywood, Idlewild, Sandcastle. Maybe the reporter got it wri\ong, but this is what he wrote, "Masks will be required for all staff and entrants, except children under 3 or those with a valid medical condition. They are not to be worn on any attraction or pool and are not necessary while waiting in line or walking between attractions." If that's correct, that would be a significant change from the standard we've been seeing.

The Sandcastle Waterpark page has that exact language but it does not appear on either Kennywood nor Idlewild's site. So kinda like Volcano Bay...???

The Sandcastle Waterpark page has that exact language but it does not appear on either Kennywood nor Idlewild's site. So kinda like Volcano Bay...???
Yeah, I was thinking maybe that confused the writer....But then again, Idlewild is like a combination of Kennywood & Sandcastle, plus it's almost purely a young children's park, so it would be make sense to be a carryover there. A good third of Idlewild, and almost always with the heaviest attendance are water oriented attractions, slides and pools areas..... IDK

Pgh. Irish Festival cancelled, Three Rivers Art Festival cancelled, Heritage Festival cancelled, most all County Fairs in western Pa. cancelled so far. Kennywood to make an announcement later today on opening.

I live on the other side of the state and Musikfest has been canceled. Or as they are saying, it's going to just virtual performances. Musikfest is one of the biggest free music festivals in the US and brings over a million visitors to our area. For it to be canceled is a big blow to our area. We also have a Cedar Fair owned park here and no word on reopening.

• Sad
Not at all wishing this on any of the local business surrounding the OCCC, but its worth mentioning, if that date is correct its going to be very interesting to see if Universal is able to pick up more land in between/around the EU resort and the current campus. Can't imagine Comcast isn't at least looking at this for future purchases.
Land owners/developers can and will sit on one for a decade+.

It’ll take years of hardship before we see any “land for sale” signs or at least ones that UOR would be willing to purchase. See: Stan Thomas.

Also- if the area is in that dire of straights, UOR will be hemorrhaging as well. So they won’t be looking at purchasing land they wouldn’t develop until 20 years from now anyway.

It’ll take years of hardship before we see any “land for sale” signs or at least ones that UOR would be willing to purchase. See: Stan Thomas.

Also- if the area is in that dire of straights, UOR will be hemorrhaging as well. So they won’t be looking at purchasing land they wouldn’t develop until 20 years from now anyway.
Ya this all makes sense, gotta get through these first major investments and have them pay off first as well I guess.

UOR may suffer for awhile in that scenario, but you still have to remember they’re owned by Comcast, a company that has more than enough money to ride out tough times.

As far as land, I think if any prime land comes available, even in a tough time, you go for it because that’s an investment in the future of the company and expansion of the resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.