Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 183 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Also Christopher Nolan's film moved two weeks back. So yeah, I don't even see the point of re opening Theaters...nothing is out people will want to see until the last week of July

It's not just Vegas, I'd estimate that mask usage here is >5% among tourist. People that are going to travel this early are just not really worried. The masked folks cancelled their vacations.
Exactly. Why try to accommodate the people that aren't going to come no matter what, at the expense of people that will definitely come.

They’re only rated for 6 months, I’d be surprised if they last that long and hopefully won’t need to. The U.K. government is considering changing the distance from 2 metres to 1 metre so that might result in double sales.

I’ll be going cross eyed watching them print.
In my much younger days I ran a flexographic press and printed a lot of chicken and Snickers wrappers, I feel for you but glad you can make something out of this.

Reactions: Scott W.

Also Christopher Nolan's film moved two weeks back. So yeah, I don't even see the point of re opening Theaters...nothing is out people will want to see until the last week of July

At this point, it'll be a matter of "when" and not "if" Mulan gets pushed back as well. I'd also say that SpongeBob goes VOD more likely than not.

At this point, it'll be a matter of "when" and not "if" Mulan gets pushed back as well. I'd also say that SpongeBob goes VOD more likely than not.
For sure, I honestly don't know how Theaters can open next month now. I brought this up on the AMC sup reddit and someone was like people will see smaller new films and older films like Inception.

But I doubt it, why I could pay for those when I own then? Yes I'll see the HP or Marvel films again with alist because its basically free but not paying 20-30 bucks a month to watch films I already own mainly

Looks like the dominos have started falling again... first Wonder Woma, now this:

Reactions: SeventyOne
Looks like the dominos have started falling again... first Wonder Woma, now this:
Thank god for books and TV shows I have to catch up on....also at least so far Video games haven't been too affected.
Also RIP AMC, unless something magical happens I can't see how they recover from this

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesh22
The One and Only Ivan (Aug 14) getting bumped to Disney+ seems to have given Mulan a new window for if/when it gets bumped.
It's probably going to happen. Disney always said they were following Tenet, and moving would give them more large format screens that aren't IMAX. Nolan will get his wish of being the re-opener of theaters no matter what :lol:

The One and Only Ivan (Aug 14) getting bumped to Disney+ seems to have given Mulan a new window for if/when it gets bumped.
The problem is, the Theaters and Studios are playing a seemingly endless game of chicken, that will ultimately end in the demise and bankruptcy of all theaters if someone doesn’t blink.

The theaters are waiting for the first big movie, but the Studios are waiting for the theaters to be open. This isn’t a healthy cycle for business, but at the same time, with an uptick in COVID cases, I’d argue it’s not time to go back yet.
—————————
The AAU clearly doesn’t think it’s too early yet, though. My sister’s got a tournament this weekend for the first time in months. Masks required in the building, but players obviously aren’t wearing any and parents/crowd is getting very relaxed after awhile and pulling it down to their chin. A few pics from The Big House:
7877F668-59B1-4F10-AB36-AB920CF875BF.jpeg
28BDF277-658E-4392-BCE4-9A688FEC33F0.jpeg
Social Distancing is practically non-existent here, despite markers and all of their attempts to cover their ass.

The problem is, the Theaters and Studios are playing a seemingly endless game of chicken, that will ultimately end in the demise and bankruptcy of all theaters if someone doesn’t blink.

The theaters are waiting for the first big movie, but the Studios are waiting for the theaters to be open. This isn’t a healthy cycle for business, but at the same time, with an uptick in COVID cases, I’d argue it’s not time to go back yet.
—————————
The AAU clearly doesn’t think it’s too early yet, though. My sister’s got a tournament this weekend for the first time in months. Masks required in the building, but players obviously aren’t wearing any and parents/crowd is getting very relaxed after awhile and pulling it down to their chin. A few pics from The Big House:
View attachment 12470
View attachment 12469
Social Distancing is practically non-existent here, despite markers and all of their attempts to cover their ass.
I know some parts of the country might be cool with it...but I think many in CA/NY wont be seeing movies. Maybe 30-50% of the normal people but most I doubt will risk it for Mulan. We have Youtube/Netflix/Disney Plus/HBO Max/Audio books/Podcasts/Video Games/Books and so on for entertainment.

Why risk going to a theater to see a movie?

As much as I love going to see films, I don't know if the demand is there. Heck while some theme parks seems to be doing fine none even seem to be hitting capacity limits, so think many are just not ready to do things yet.

I agree, it's not worth the risk for a movie... however, with how big theaters are (and tall the ceilings are), I think you're probably safe in a theater than at, say, a restaurant, which is probably a better comparison than a theme park. People have headed back to restaurants, why not theaters? Theaters need to put videos out/do some sort of small ad campaign showing their procedures when they reopen and what the experience will be like. They need to make people feel safer before people will consider it.

Mulan can't go first though, you're right. With it being a remake, many would bypass just on that alone. It needs to be Tenet or an equivalent.

There is the potential that things get bad enough for theaters that they could engage in talks with studios to do same day & date (or maybe a 7-14 day window?) for theatrical and PVOD releases. Right now, all major theaters have a strict policy against playing movies that are released on VOD. But I can see a situation where things get so bad for theaters, that they have no choice but to change their model and begrudgingly agree to day & date, which would overwhelmingly benefit studios and probably sink theaters long-term, but it would at least get movies playing again.

At this point, you would think that nations would put a 72hr testing system in place for international travelers so that things could move forward more quickly. Of course it would be a test for return trips as well, but there is money in said travellers.

Reactions: Jeepers Reaper
At this point, you would think that nations would put a 72hr testing system in place for international travelers so that things could move forward more quickly. Of course it would be a test for return trips as well, but there is money in said travellers.

I'd like to think that's what will happen soon, especially the developed countries where there is a lot of tourism or business involved for both sides. I occasionally travel to Florida for business but its normally for pleasure. Would I object to paying for a quick or rapid test? Absolutely not and I'm certain I wouldn't be alone in that.

This was rather disappointing. I was quite excited to see Sonic the Hedgehog and The Invisible Man duke it out for Best Picture.
I mean, they’re accepting streaming/PVOD movies as options to be eligible this year, so there will be plenty of good eligible films (like Da 5 Bloods from Netflix). Fox also has The Last Duel and West Side Story. Tenet is also likely to get consideration. Then of course the smaller movies made specifically for awards.

Let’s also not forget that Disney+ had Artemis Fowl, either ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.