Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 184 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, they’re accepting streaming/PVOD movies as options to be eligible this year, so there will be plenty of good eligible films (like Da 5 Bloods from Netflix). Fox also has The Last Duel and West Side Story. Tenet is also likely to get consideration. Then of course the smaller movies made specifically for awards.

Let’s also not forget that Disney+ had Artemis Fowl, either ;)
I havent see it yet...but the reviews make me question how some of these films get made?

Like the books from what I hear are great, why mess them up so much and waste millions of dollars?

I don't get how Disney can make solid Animated and Marvel films...yet live action films its mostly crap films with the exceptions being films like the first Pirates Movie.

I havent see it yet...but the reviews make me question how some of these films get made?

Like the books from what I hear are great, why mess them up so much and waste millions of dollars?

I don't get how Disney can make solid Animated and Marvel films...yet live action films its mostly crap films with the exceptions being films like the first Pirates Movie.
In Artemis Fowl's case, this has been in development hell for over a decade as one of Harvey Weinstein's attempted blockbusters. Even when it switched to Disney, Weinstein was still on board until his allegations came out, and the project has gone through different directors, producers, and stars.

Just an 'anecdotal' story, but it dovetails with what many here are saying about the lack of masks in the Orlando area/Florida area....Alene's co worker at Children' Hospital just returned from a 1 week vacation at the Panama City Beaches. They drove from Pittsburgh. Besides saying it was insufferably hot, she said that once they left the West Virginia border, they rarely saw anyone wearing a mask in their drive through Virginia, both Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. She said very few people in Panama City area , or on the beaches ever wore a mask. And she also commented there was little if any social distancing. ...Just one person's observations though.

Last edited:
Just an 'anecdotal' story, but it dovetails with what many here are saying about the lack of masks in the Orlando area/Florida area....Alene's co worker at Children's Hospital Hospital just returned from a 1 week vacation at the Panama City Beaches. They drove from Pittsburgh. Besides saying it was insufferably hot, she said that once they left the West Virginia border, they rarely saw anyone wearing a mask in their drive through Virginia, both Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. She said very few people in Panama City area , or on the beaches ever wore a mask. And she also commented there was little if any social distancing. ...Just one person's observations though.
Alabama, Mississippi and Texas mask use is very spotty. Clerks are bare. It was nice getting out for a bit, back to local only next week

Amarillo Drury Inn occupancy is 83% on a Monday during this. People are traveling. Might check the plates in the parking lot on my way out but most I have seen on the road are a contiguous state area so three or four away. I am the furthest

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
In Artemis Fowl's case, this has been in development hell for over a decade as one of Harvey Weinstein's attempted blockbusters. Even when it switched to Disney, Weinstein was still on board until his allegations came out, and the project has gone through different directors, producers, and stars.
But it happens sooooooo much to Disney. 3 Meh Pirates films, Prince of Persona, John Carter, Wrinkle in time and I know some liked them but I don't think Mary Poppins or the Live action Pooh movie hold a candle to the films that came before them. I have also yet to see a live action remake better than the animated movie
It's like super rare Disney makes a good live action film outside of Marvel and I don't get why, adapt the material better the books and idea's they have are already great.

Sorry for the rant but for such a rich and sometimes smart company I don't get how hard it is for them to just put together a team for the live action films.

Also anyone see an article on when things like the Santa Monica Pier is opening? I drive past that beach every weekend and the parking lot is closed....yet we are at stage 3 and most beaches have been opened for weeks. You'd think they'd want that easy tax payers dollars from parking

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
But it happens sooooooo much to Disney. 3 Meh Pirates films, Prince of Persona, John Carter, Wrinkle in time and I know some liked them but I don't think Mary Poppins or the Live action Pooh movie hold a candle to the films that came before them. I have also yet to see a live action remake better than the animated movie
It's like super rare Disney makes a good live action film outside of Marvel and I don't get why, adapt the material better the books and idea's they have are already great.

Sorry for the rant but for such a rich and sometimes smart company I don't get how hard it is for them to just put together a team for the live action films.

Also anyone see an article on when things like the Santa Monica Pier is opening? I drive past that beach every weekend and the parking lot is closed....yet we are at stage 3 and most beaches have been opened for weeks. You'd think they'd want that easy tax payers dollars from parking
I've got my fingers crossed for the Jungle Cruise movie. It should be a lay up with the cast they have and what you can do with something like Jungle Cruise.

I've got my fingers crossed for the Jungle Cruise movie. It should be a lay up with the cast they have and what you can do with something like Jungle Cruise.
Indiana Jones is the next live action film I think they could hit it out of the park with....only because of the director

Just an 'anecdotal' story, but it dovetails with what many here are saying about the lack of masks in the Orlando area/Florida area....Alene's co worker at Children' Hospital just returned from a 1 week vacation at the Panama City Beaches. They drove from Pittsburgh. Besides saying it was insufferably hot, she said that once they left the West Virginia border, they rarely saw anyone wearing a mask in their drive through Virginia, both Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. She said very few people in Panama City area , or on the beaches ever wore a mask. And she also commented there was little if any social distancing. ...Just one person's observations though.
Very little mask usage here. And to reinforce what JoeCamel said our current occupancy numbers are very comparable to 2019. The non mask wearing population is travelling and vacationing like normal.

Alene's co worker at Children' Hospital just returned from a 1 week vacation at the Panama City Beaches. They drove from Pittsburgh. Besides saying it was insufferably hot, she said that once they left the West Virginia border, they rarely saw anyone wearing a mask in their drive through Virginia, both Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. She said very few people in Panama City area , or on the beaches ever wore a mask. And she also commented there was little if any social distancing.
Definitely what I saw at PCB also. The beach had plenty of room when I was there (though both the beach in PCB and Destin I went to were private). So no mask wearing there was np. But anywhere else at any other restaurant (servers did) or store? Zip. Not one that I saw. In a huge chunk of the south, people have accepted the losses COVID will bring and are fine with it. And for the area with the highest obesity rate, I don’t know how wise that is.

Speaking of weight; I still find it highly annoying that the only mentions of prevention of this disease are masks and social distancing. No one is talking about boosting immune support. Good sleep, taking vitamins, getting exercise and sun, eating healthy, nothing.
If some effort would be placed on immune support and knowledge, the hospitalization rate wouldn’t be as high. But that, of course, would make people healthier; and our health care system can’t have that, can they?

Alabama, Mississippi and Texas mask use is very spotty. Clerks are bare. It was nice getting out for a bit, back to local only next week

Amarillo Drury Inn occupancy is 83% on a Monday during this. People are traveling. Might check the plates in the parking lot on my way out but most I have seen on the road are a contiguous state area so three or four away. I am the furthest

Are you saying that you went on a road trip to Texas recently? A joy ride?

Very little mask usage here. And to reinforce what JoeCamel said our current occupancy numbers are very comparable to 2019. The non mask wearing population is travelling and vacationing like normal.
Definitely what I saw at PCB also. The beach had plenty of room when I was there (though both the beach in PCB and Destin I went to were private). So no mask wearing there was np. But anywhere else at any other restaurant (servers did) or store? Zip. Not one that I saw. In a huge chunk of the south, people have accepted the losses COVID will bring and are fine with it. And for the area with the highest obesity rate, I don’t know how wise that is.

Speaking of weight; I still find it highly annoying that the only mentions of prevention of this disease are masks and social distancing. No one is talking about boosting immune support. Good sleep, taking vitamins, getting exercise and sun, eating healthy, nothing.
If some effort would be placed on immune support and knowledge, the hospitalization rate wouldn’t be as high. But that, of course, would make people healthier; and our health care system can’t have that, can they?
There's plenty of factors, but people in the south are... stubborn at best. Especially the real rural areas in places like Alabama and parts of Georgia/So. Carolina/No. Carolina/Florida, there's just a lot of people who won't be controlled and won't let the government tell them what to do. Trump could've controlled it a bit, but him choosing not to wear a mask basically gave the green light to all of these types that it was ok to go out in public with no masks. I don't have an issue with the beach as long as you're spaced, but enclosed buildings you've gotta be smart. The southeast is turning into a big hot spot and it can't be coincidental with the reported lack of mask use that is being reported by not just those of us that live here, but out-of-staters as well.
----------------------
On another note....
2020 Star Wars Celebration canceled:

Oscars now to take place on April 25th instead of Feb 28th:

The Star Wars Celebration cancellation took a really long time to announce. We were just a few weeks away from it happening. I have tickets for it, but I am thinking I will just transfer them to 2022. If anyone else has tickets and needs more information on transferring, refunds or merchandise credits they explain it on their site.

Reactions: MrBlonde
So apparently Big Brother is trying to get going by mid to end of July. Should be interesting as it’d be one of, if not the first TV show back going fully.

Also if anyone watches the show, omfg Dan and Janelle are rumored to be playing!

So apparently Big Brother is trying to get going by mid to end of July. Should be interesting as it’d be one of, if not the first TV show back going fully.

Also if anyone watches the show, omfg Dan and Janelle are rumored to be playing!
Dan I’d be looking forward to, but this would be Janelle’s 4th time and she was on the first All-Stars. Wouldn’t excite me too much anymore.

Reactions: Alicia

I haven't ready anything on it yet, but I think it's interesting, as it's not just as easy as locking all the houseguests up and since they're in quarantine for the show anyway no one can get sick... Because most of the walls are fake and the house is just a set inside a stage with camera people and technicians sharing the same air. Wonder if the crew will be quarantined during production as well?

I'm hearing from almost every CM I know that the 28th is the date for things re-starting with everyone going back to work that week. I'd have to assume there will be a couple of days of training and just getting things ready to go again (re-certs?). Since DVC is reopening on the 22nd that means there will already be guests on property before the parks and transportation are up and running.

I haven't ready anything on it yet, but I think it's interesting, as it's not just as easy as locking all the houseguests up and since they're in quarantine for the show anyway no one can get sick... Because most of the walls are fake and the house is just a set inside a stage with camera people and technicians sharing the same air. Wonder if the crew will be quarantined during production as well?
No idea, I know the Canadian version of Big Brother shutdown due to production REFUSING to work, so it should be interesting how things play out here. The show is shot in LA, it seems (not paying super close attention), that LA has plenty of testing, so maybe they test super frequently? Idk. I’m trying to not get my hopes up.
Dan I’d be looking forward to, but this would be Janelle’s 4th time and she was on the first All-Stars. Wouldn’t excite me too much anymore.
Eh, if you see the rest of the cast (which actually isn’t bad) I’d be very thankful we have Janelle. Just rumors though but Dan, Derrick, and Janelle seem substantiated. Josh too Ugh

I'm hearing from almost every CM I know that the 28th is the date for things re-starting with everyone going back to work that week. I'd have to assume there will be a couple of days of training and just getting things ready to go again (re-certs?). Since DVC is reopening on the 22nd that means there will already be guests on property before the parks and transportation are up and running.
The most recent info I have has previews starting around the 4th of July, giving parks CM's roughly a 1 week lead time from when they are called back.

Eh, if you see the rest of the cast (which actually isn’t bad) I’d be very thankful we have Janelle. Just rumors though but Dan, Derrick, and Janelle seem substantiated. Josh too Ugh
I just want to see Josh evicted early like he should have been the last time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.