Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid in the debate. People here know more about it than a certain person. I know we're not supposed to get political, so I won't use names or partys, but I'm a 70 year old person that through much of his life has been closely involved in politics, local, state and national. . I have to say I've never seen anything like that in my life., not even close to that. Sad.

Last edited:
I know we're not supposed to get political, but I'm a 70 year old person that through much of his life has been closely involved in politics, local, state and national. . I have to say I've never seen anything like that in my life. Sad.
I drank before and could not watch more than 30ish mins.

I just can't Trump won't let Biden Speak...and Biden while sometimes can speak fine doesn't give enough details just mainly saying i'd do it better without much on how. I'll listen to the highlights tomorrow and do think from the little Biden did speak on it I agree Trump's administration wanted things opened but were cheap on school opening. We will spend unlimited money on sending Federal agents to protests but can't get funds for teachers?

But still overal the debate isn't going to change anyone's mind on Covid or who they are voting for

No cuts, but i've heard that writers are having a much harder time selling scripts right now. Unless it's a blockbuster, it's not getting greenlit at the moment because there's such a theatrical backlog. Almost the entire 2020 release calendar has shifted to 2021, meaning the stuff in production for the most part isn't coming out until 2022 as far as films go (or late 2021). Any other type of movie is hard pressed to make it's way through right now as there's no room unless Netflix or Hulu wants to bite, but even Netflix is backed up as far as their production and release schedule goes.

As someone who's had a script optioned and another being packaged since lockdown began, I would dispute the writing bit. Netflix and Amazon Prime are most ideally positioned at the moment, and it's clear $100 mil blockbusters that have not already started shooting are probably on ice, but production is rambling along, TV rooms are continuing, and sales are happening. Animation is of course a great business to be in, and I personally wonder if the problem will get precipitously worse once theatrical dates get pushed back to the point where they're running up the more sensible early delays (i.e. will Universal have to delay Fast & Furious 9 again? What happens to other films that are still waiting to be released? etc.)

the one with practically every actor in a Fox produced show with the television studios (ABC signature, 20th television, touchstone Television)
Disney just restructured those studios a few weeks ago so I don’t see much else changing.

Personally, I’m happy that there will be work for actors, directors, writers, hair and make up teams, etc etc on those shows. Hollywood struggled mightily during the shutdown and those who do some of the less glamorous stuff on set were the ones to take the biggest financial hit as they aren’t making a ton per job anyway.

Some people make a living working their asses off going from gig to gig basically as professional extras/stand-ins for example and that all got stripped away.

Last edited:

Write letters to the Board of Directors about Chapek? :shrug:

While I feel terrible for anyone getting laid off, Disney had a bloated management structure that needed to be trimmed.
But the bloat comes from executives and senior executives who have absolutely no grasp over how their operations or areas or even own teams function, and thus waste an inordinate amount of company time being personally educated by their reports instead of just knowing what to say.

I doubt that was addressed.

Last edited:
Bravo Governor Newsom...finally going to release the GUIDELINES this week...what a joke...

Gotta love Disney's comment on the layoffs which pretty much puts the blame on the State..."the State’s unwillingness to lift restrictions that would allow Disneyland to reopen” is a major factor in that ultimately led to so many Cast Members losing their jobs.

Florida let the parks open and people are getting laid off here too. When it comes down to it even if DL had opened at the same time that WDW there would still be just as many layoffs.

There was no good answer to any of this since there was no comprehensive national plan or response like most other countries had.

I fail to comprehend the logic behind this statement. If Disneyland was open then they would need cast members to work at the parks, hotels, etc. so how can you say there would be just as many layoffs?

Layoffs are non-union CM's. Even if DL reopened, Union CM's would most likely get the positions and the non-Union ones are still out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.