Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it will change forever, but it will certainly be super different until a vaccine is available. I'm not convinced the theme park business is even tenable until potent therapeutics are approved and wildly available.

I think Universal's strategy of (so far) not stopping construction and pushing for EU to still open in 2023 could possibly lead to the balance of power in Orlando shifting even further, especially if Disney does end up cutting projects that aren't already well into construction. But that also depends on the company continuing construction along with the economy bouncing back by 2023, which of course is a complete wild card.

The thing is, Comcast can afford to take that gamble and are angling to take a real decisive bite out of Walt Disney World's business, especially as the needless complexity of vacation planning makes visiting the resort less than enviable.

The thing is, Comcast can afford to take that gamble and are angling to take a real decisive bite out of Walt Disney World's business, especially as the needless complexity of vacation planning makes visiting the resort less than enviable.
No doubt. It’s similar to when UOR built WWOHP in the middle of a recession. By the time things started to stabilize, they had the hottest ticket in town and it too Disney a good 7 years to get anything remotely as hot.

different circumstances now, but could end up being a similar situation.

If the season can ever get off the ground, the MLB is looking at radical changes to this season. It would have them scraping the American League and National League and having every team play from their spring training homes (without crowds to start out), meaning the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues from Spring Training would carry over to the regular season.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
If the season can ever get off the ground, the MLB is looking at radical changes to this season. It would have them scraping the American League and National League and having every team play from their spring training homes (without crowds to start out), meaning the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues from Spring Training would carry over to the regular season.

Under the circumstances, not a bad idea. It's better than putting all the teams on a couple of sites in Arizona. This way the teams still have access to their own spring training sites/sports medicine facilities, and familiar surroundings. And having a different alignment than the regular seasons, for a change in pace, might really help hype TV ratings. Heck, the more I think of this, the better I like it.

Reactions: Nick
Here is something the theme parks could do for the indoor shows and stores.

All of this national & worldwide research going into CV treatment & prevention has the potential to create a new wave of overall disease containment/prevention measures. That is good....I'm continually of the opinion that the new high tech available, and the mass clinical testing, is going to create treatments/solutions to CV on a significantly earlier time frame than the pessimists in society and the media are thinking.....And mass testing/mapping/effective quarantine could be the short term solution. The present quarantine in this country isn't all that effective since it doesn't truly isolate a person and prevent them from infecting family/friends etc., thus creating more spread. They really need to do what they did with Tuberculosis when it was such a dangerous disease, namely temporarily quarantining CV positive people in special CV health facilities until they're free from CV..............and then the parks can open again.

Last edited:
No surprise, but finally the 40,000 members of Disney's STCU unions announced they are being furloughed officially on the 19th.

^ I have recently mused about a UV rimmed brim hat that would have a 12” downward effective range. Krazy kat ideas.

TL;DR version. UVA = nope. UVB = we don't know. UVC = only if you wanted to damage people around you :D

The first domino?

Opinions of the product notwithstanding, there was no discussion about not having a 2021 season prior to this.
They would probably have another season if COVID didn’t hit. I doubt they would’ve had many more seasons.

I’m a person that tries to pay attention to the world and I had no idea the XFL had a prior season. I just don’t think the league is executing well-enough to survive.

All of this national & worldwide research going into CV treatment & prevention has the potential to create a new wave of overall disease containment/prevention measures. That is good....I'm continually of the opinion that the new high tech available, and the mass clinical testing, is going to create treatments/solutions to CV on a significantly earlier time frame than the pessimists in society and the media are thinking.....And mass testing/mapping/effective quarantine could be the short term solution. The present quarantine in this country isn't all that effective since it doesn't truly isolate a person and prevent them from infecting family/friends etc., thus creating more spread. They really need to do what they did with Tuberculosis when it was such a dangerous disease, namely temporarily quarantining CV positive people in special CV health facilities until they're free from CV..............and then the parks can open again.
So this sounds quite ridiculous - forcibly take people that 'someone' deems as being CV positive and quarantine them offsite somewhere with all the other CV positive people. Did you miss the part where there are MANY people who show no signs but are CV positive and are shedding virus? Did you also miss the part where the tests that are being used to determine whether someone is CV positive have MANY false positives and MANY false negatives?
So your solution is to take only those people who have obvious signs of CV or 'tested' positive with known questionable testing and quarantine them all somewhere against their will?
Well hello there comrade, Stalin would be proud!

So this sounds quite ridiculous - forcibly take people that 'someone' deems as being CV positive and quarantine them offsite somewhere with all the other CV positive people. Did you miss the part where there are MANY people who show no signs but are CV positive and are shedding virus? Did you also miss the part where the tests that are being used to determine whether someone is CV positive have MANY false positives and MANY false negatives?
So your solution is to take only those people who have obvious signs of CV or 'tested' positive with known questionable testing and quarantine them all somewhere against their will?
Well hello there comrade, Stalin would be proud!
Hey, you have your 'opinion' , fine, you're free to voice it. After all, this is just a forum of 'opinions'.Many health professionals have voiced this quarantine idea, and it was used on some of the first arrivals from China that they housed on military bases at the end of Jan. & Feb., but then they got away from doing it. it's not something I invented. Some officials are saying the self quarantine at home doesn't work well because it just creates new clusters of infection when the quarantined person interacts with family & friends, and then they (family and friends) interact with their family and friends, and so on.....and ................Bottom line, though, you really don't have to be snarky about a post with that type/tone of remark. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Disneyhead
Hey, you have your 'opinion' , fine, you're free to voice it. After all, this is just a forum of 'opinions'.Many health professionals have voiced this quarantine idea, and it was used on some of the first arrivals from China that they housed on military bases at the end of Jan. & Feb., but then they got away from doing it. it's not something I invented. Some officials are saying the self quarantine at home doesn't work well because it just creates new clusters of infection when the quarantined person interacts with family & friends, and then they (family and friends) interact with their family and friends, and so on.....and ................Bottom line, though, you really don't have to be snarky about a post with that type/tone of remark. .

Sorry if i offended, but i am trying to wake you up.
yes i have seen your viewpoint advocated by some in the medical community, that does not legitimize it.
That solution did work during tuberculosis outbreaks, but it was much easier to determine who was sick and who was not.
CV 19 does not always present itself with identifiable symptoms, which in and of itself, negates the viability of your solution.
You would lock some up while others freely spread the disease.
Please do not so easily advocate the removal of personal freedoms by an overreaching government.
Once freedoms are gone, it is very difficult to recover them.
There are still many Japanese Americans from WWII who can attest to the personal tragedies created from such simplistic solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.