Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if i offended, but i am trying to wake you up.
yes i have seen your viewpoint advocated by some in the medical community, that does not legitimize it.
That solution did work during tuberculosis outbreaks, but it was much easier to determine who was sick and who was not.
CV 19 does not always present itself with identifiable symptoms, which in and of itself, negates the viability of your solution.
You would lock some up while others freely spread the disease.
Please do not so easily advocate the removal of personal freedoms by an overreaching government.
Once freedoms are gone, it is very difficult to recover them.
There are still many Japanese Americans from WWII who can attest to the personal tragedies created from such simplistic solutions.
I understand your point.Of course this is not something that can be done at this point in time since it has become so widespread. But it may well be something they end up looking at once the curve is close to smashed, if ever, 'full scale testing' goes on,and there's just relatively a few cases. This is significantly different than internment camps since it's only a 14 day period. And it's only stop gap until a 'faster than normal' vaccine is developed, which is becoming promising. I'm a strong believer in personal rights and freedoms. If you've read any of my posts on the totalitarian communist government in China, it readily shows..................and since my original comment referred to theme parks re opening, CV is especially crucial to their full operation since distancing would be really difficult to use in those environments....There's really no perfect solutions until successful treatment & then vaccination occurs. Everything has drawbacks.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I watched the imagineering story and I'm now on Episode 5. Sure it's not a full and honest report about that department and how the back stories are presented but it was kind of shocking how many times this area of the company feared to be out of a job but also got the company back on track trough their creativity. In each of those minds there is a lot of knowledge stored about what make a ride or land succeed. Although I'm mostly unimpressed about what Disney does these last 15 years I can acknowledge the art of this group of people when the company is prepared to spent as we see in Disney Sea for instance.
Anyway knowing how this group is now furloughed as they are deemed unessential is even more baffling and makes me wonder how the company will go forward in the future if the best imagineers are scooped up by other companies. Creativity for a company as Disney is essential.

I watched the imagineering story and I'm now on Episode 5. Sure it's not a full and honest report about that department and how the back stories are presented but it was kind of shocking how many times this area of the company feared to be out of a job but also got the company back on track trough their creativity. In each of those minds there is a lot of knowledge stored about what make a ride or land succeed. Although I'm mostly unimpressed about what Disney does these last 15 years I can acknowledge the art of this group of people when the company is prepared to spent as we see in Disney Sea for instance.
Anyway knowing how this group is now furloughed as they are deemed unessential is even more baffling and makes me wonder how the company will go forward in the future if the best imagineers are scooped up by other companies. Creativity for a company as Disney is essential.

I think we kind of joke half heartly about Universal buying SeaWorld but imagine the scenario if they scoop up some of Disney's best and let them run free on designing a new park on the SeaWorld plot.

So there was a panel of experts in a NY Times piece recently that said they don’t think it’s feasible to have large gatherings such as at concerts or sporting events until Fall 2021 at the earliest.

“Restarting the economy has to be done in stages, and it does have to start with more physical distancing at a work site that allows people who are at lower risk to come back. Certain kinds of construction, or manufacturing or offices, in which you can maintain six-foot distances are more reasonable to start sooner. Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.”

While I’m not an expert that seems like the most realistic timeline to me. But as said above ^, people won’t allow it to be that way. I have no
Idea what our future looks like until a vaccine for this thing is produced

They also mention restarting construction and manufacturing. Has anyone done a study on the industries that never stopped like grocery stores, professional offices, and infrastructure related industries? Wonder what the spread rate is in those populations.

Reactions: Andysol
So there was a panel of experts in a NY Times piece recently that said they don’t think it’s feasible to have large gatherings such as at concerts or sporting events until Fall 2021 at the earliest.

“Restarting the economy has to be done in stages, and it does have to start with more physical distancing at a work site that allows people who are at lower risk to come back. Certain kinds of construction, or manufacturing or offices, in which you can maintain six-foot distances are more reasonable to start sooner. Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.”

So are they going to cancel the Olympics again then? Also, aren't we 12-15 months away from a vaccine at worst? I sure hope that expert's opinion is an extreme overreaction.

I am interested in the whole “herd” immunity we might have in California. Once a test for the anti bodies is wildly available we could be tested and be able less worried about being infected. It sucks because everything we hear is anecdotal. Not much confirmed by science. I hear it might be a year till big crowds, the end of movie theaters and all that.

People - countries - may not survive otherwise.
Some people would pass away from the virus just as every year before(other viruses) and shall continue into the future(new and continuing virus. Yet but to have this shut down go on for that timeframe people would honestly loose their lives(livelihood, worth, even want) and countries would see society breaking down as a whole.

The medical community are experts in regards to what’s best for an individual’s health, key word here is individual, while thinking of society is lost on them.

Let’s just go by percentage to death which even experts believe is probably closer to 1% or thereof. So if every human on earth, 7.8 billion caught it, then 78 million would pass away. That is truly awful but the planets population would still be near 7.72 billion, not accounting for other losses of life or new life of course. Now I know varying times and places can give a plus or minus on this figure but just used the generic for if the entire planet were infected over time for perspective.

Not the end of the World but hey that’s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol and fryoj
Some people would pass away from the virus just as every year before(other viruses) and shall continue into the future(new and continuing virus. Yet but to have this shut down go on for that timeframe people would honestly loose their lives(livelihood, worth, even want) and countries would see society breaking down as a whole.

The medical community are experts in regards to what’s best for an individual’s health, key word here is individual, while thinking of society is lost on them.

Let’s just go by percentage to death which even experts believe is probably closer to 1% or thereof. So if every human on earth, 7.8 billion caught it, then 78 million would pass away. That is truly awful but the planets population would still be near 7.72 billion, not accounting for other losses of life or new life of course. Now I know varying times and places can give a plus or minus on this figure but just used the generic for if the entire planet were infected over time for perspective.

Not the end of the World but hey that’s just me.

That's death toll directly related to the virus, not counting other medical and supply chain declines.

That's also 90% of the death toll from WW2 in around 18 months and that's being optimistic. Areas that have higher infection rates or already low medical standards have higher associated mortality, potentially up to 10%+.

The medical community is trying to balance society as a whole, not just the individual. The less widespread infection that you have, the less your essential personnel are affected. This ensures that power plants, medical/pharmaceutical manufacturers, water treatment, etc, all remain operational. I know we're all here because we love theme parks, but I'd personally trade the entire industry if it meant that we keep those more essential services operational.

That's death toll directly related to the virus, not counting other medical and supply chain declines.

That's also 90% of the death toll from WW2 in around 18 months and that's being optimistic. Areas that have higher infection rates or already low medical standards have higher associated mortality, potentially up to 10%+.

The medical community is trying to balance society as a whole, not just the individual. The less widespread infection that you have, the less your essential personnel are affected. This ensures that power plants, medical/pharmaceutical manufacturers, water treatment, etc, all remain operational. I know we're all here because we love theme parks, but I'd personally trade the entire industry if it meant that we keep those more essential services operational.
You can easily argue the other point as well, though; namely the fact that many people are naturally immune. Not asymptomatic, but immune.

Make no mistake though, @Moose84, 1% of the world's population going away would be devastating.
Taking humanity out of it and looking at it like a robot; it would be mainly elderly, "non-contributors", so the world would keep turning just fine. It would actually be the worst in America vs other countries where it would take out a lot of contributing and valuable members of society that we need that just so happened to be obese. Again- looking at it with no humanity (obviously grandma and grandpa bring significant value to our individual wellbeing; but usually not society as a whole). So saying "Countries may not survive otherwise" is factually incorrect.

Have no tourism until Fall 2021 in the Philippines or Cambodia or Thailand or anywhere in the Carribbean and see what that does to those countries. The death toll and destruction of quality of life would surpass anything Corona could have possibly ever done.

Either way, the fall of 2021 talk and next week talk are two ends of the very extreme and we still don't have the data to truly predict. As we have more data, the predictions will be more and more accurate. I wouldn't be surprised to see that fall 2021 become summer, then spring, then winter, then fall 2020 as more and more data comes out. Would you?

Last edited:
NYC is already returning loaned ventilators back. While that's not a "this is over", it's sure as heck a long ways from "fall 2021"

Reactions: Clive
Status
Not open for further replies.