Encanto | Inside Universal Forums

Encanto

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
This is really too general to create a thread for for now since there's no year given, no name, nothing really except it's a LMM animated musical project for WDAS set in Columbia:

This is really too general to create a thread for for now since there's no year given, no name, nothing really except it's a LMM animated musical project for WDAS set in Columbia:

The name of the movie is actually "Encanto".

Wait so colombia or brazil? i’m confused
Yeah, idk. Both articles say differently, but i'm more inclined to believe EW. The main thing Disney will want you to takeaway though either way is that the movie will be their first with a Latina Princess.

Yeah, idk. Both articles say differently, but i'm more inclined to believe EW. The main thing Disney will want you to takeaway though either way is that the movie will be their first with a Latina Princess.
Just watched the interview, Lin said colombia! Glad it’s a hispanic country, as the good majority of latino nations are hispanic

Colombia Pavilion in Epcot sounds nice, though I know literally nothing about the country.
Coffee, coffee, coffee. I still envision Brazil getting a pavilion before Colombia just due to the sheer number of tourists from the former, but I think there's a lot of possibilities for a Colombia pavilion as well.

Knowing nothing about the movie, I envision it taking place somewhere like Cartegena. A city off the Caribbean coast in the northern part of the country. It has a history of being attacked by pirates and had a wall built around it hundreds of years ago. Being in the walled 'old town' Catagena is like going back in time with all the colonial architecture in vibrant colors. Within sight of walled 'old town', Boca Grande sits in stark contrast with its modern style, bustling tourism, and tall sky scrapers.

The story almost writes itself - the princess is living in walled 'old town' with family not wanting to abandon their roots or adopt all modern technology. She's always wanted to climb the wall and explore the more modern city. Once she does that against her family's wishes, the walled city is attacked by pirates, and she has to get back in to help them. She can bring something from the modern city that helps them defeat the pirates and unites the people living in the old town and city from then on.

Old-yellow-colonial-town.jpg

img_2164-4.jpg

Cartagena-de-Indias-Colombia.jpg

Coffee, coffee, coffee. I still envision Brazil getting a pavilion before Colombia just due to the sheer number of tourists from the former, but I think there's a lot of possibilities for a Colombia pavilion as well.

Knowing nothing about the movie, I envision it taking place somewhere like Cartegena. A city off the Caribbean coast in the northern part of the country. It has a history of being attacked by pirates and had a wall built around it hundreds of years ago. Being in the walled 'old town' Catagena is like going back in time with all the colonial architecture in vibrant colors. Within sight of walled 'old town', Boca Grande sits in stark contrast with its modern style, bustling tourism, and tall sky scrapers.

The story almost writes itself - the princess is living in walled 'old town' with family not wanting to abandon their roots or adopt all modern technology. She's always wanted to climb the wall and explore the more modern city. Once she does that against her family's wishes, the walled city is attacked by pirates, and she has to get back in to help them. She can bring something from the modern city that helps them defeat the pirates and unites the people living in the old town and city from then on.

View attachment 12609

With Lin Manuel attached, confirmation of a princess, and a name like “Charm,” I expect the focus to lean a little more indigenous. That isn’t to say this place wouldn’t feature somewhere in the story, but I imagine something more akin to Moana (which is aces, so I’m cool with it).

The lesson definitely won’t be “something from the modern city saves the day.”

Reactions: n i c k
With Lin Manuel attached, confirmation of a princess, and a name like “Charm,” I expect the focus to lean a little more indigenous. That isn’t to say this place wouldn’t feature somewhere in the story, but I imagine something more akin to Moana (which is aces, so I’m cool with it).

The lesson definitely won’t be “something from the modern city saves the day.”
My gut instinct was colonial era, but that could also tie into indigenous culture.

I'm think we hit too much Lin Manuel saturation musically
I’m glad social media wasn’t around back in the 90’s or Alan Menken would’ve had people coming for his head based on there supposedly being “Menken saturation”.

Moana is constantly one of the top performing movies across all streaming services, Hamilton did great for Disney+, why wouldn’t you want that guy doing another one for you if you’re Disney?

I’m glad social media wasn’t around back in the 90’s or Alan Menken would’ve had people coming for his head based on there supposedly being “Menken saturation”.

Moana is constantly one of the top performing movies across all streaming services, Hamilton did great for Disney+, why wouldn’t you want that guy doing another one for you if you’re Disney?

Alan Menken isn't a good example because he had other collaborators in the production of music to act as a counterbalance to his influence thus making him not have a distinct style.

Musically, his work from In the Heights, Bring it on The Musical, Hamiltion, and Moana have too much of his influence into them. Because he writes and composes all those songs himself there is no counter and with everything released in the past three years, its just eh.

Reactions: HalfGlass
Alan Menken isn't a good example because he had other collaborators in the production of music to act as a counterbalance to his influence thus making him not have a distinct style.

Musically, his work from In the Heights, Bring it on The Musical, Hamiltion, and Moana have too much of his influence into them. Because he writes and composes all those songs himself there is no counter and with everything released in the past three years, its just eh.
Well get ready for more, because on top of Encanto, he's got Vivo (Sony animated musical) and Tick, Tick... Boom! (which he directed) both coming on Netflix this year as well - both before Encanto is released.

I'm interested in how the new Little Mermaid songs sound as he's working with Alan Menken on those, not doing it alone. And I hope you aren't considering Mary Poppins Returns as something he did because he had nothing to do with the music in that film and tbh, I think the film would've been better if he had as the music was the weak point.

I'm with you on those two

I think in the Heights just made it look like not everything he touches is gold

I have argued with people on this..but in the Heights to me is just meh...it doesn't have the big music of either Moana or Hamilton.

But think he will do great with this, especially if he can do "short" music again like in Moana.

I'm with you on those two

I think in the Heights just made it look like not everything he touches is gold

I have argued with people on this..but in the Heights to me is just meh...it doesn't have the big music of either Moana or Hamilton.

But think he will do great with this, especially if he can do "short" music again like in Moana.
In The Heights is the first musical he did so of course it won't be as good, but to me, I love it and so did critics love the movie. I firmly believe it will get an awards push still. The only "problem" with ITH compared to some of the other stuff Lin has done is that there wasn't a song that was as catchy as anything in Hamilton. Also the marketing push was a bit weird and it acted like the audience already knew what In The Heights was already when most people outside of theater geeks had no idea.

Personally, I think all the music in the show is great, and there should've been a radio edit of "In The Heights" or "96,000" ready to go. "It Won't Be Long Now" also could've been that song imo, as personally it's my favorite song from the show and is very fun and catchy imo.

I agree - Menken has motifs and things you notice that are “Menken-esque”, but inherently his music is what many would call a classic musical style.

Until LMM does a musical that doesn’t involve rap/spoken-word, people will probably feel like “oh yeah that’s LMM”.

I personally find some of his music great, some insufferable…but ultimately most of it isn’t memorable. In fact, I’d argue the song with the least amount of his style is How Far I’ll Go and that is by far the most famous song from the movie.

I like him - but Menken will always be the gold standard of Disney for me.