Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Encanto

So I just saw the release schedule for Disney+ in December and noticed that this movie is only getting a 30-day exclusive theatrical window and will then be hitting Disney+ sort of like a Christmas present on December 24th, much in the way Soul was released on Christmas last year.

Considering I don't have much hype for this movie from the trailers (although it's at an early 93% on RT), i'm not really gonna care about waiting an extra month. To me, the 30-day window seems more to recoup as much as they can, allow it to be in Awards consideration since it was released in theaters, and also give Disney+ a big add quickly. It's a win all around for them.

Just wanted to bump this thread. I loved this movie. The songs didn’t hit me at first but have been on replay since then. It’s just a beautiful little movie with such likable characters and music. We don’t talk about Bruno…

Just wanted to bump this thread. I loved this movie. The songs didn’t hit me at first but have been on replay since then. It’s just a beautiful little movie with such likable characters and music. We don’t talk about Bruno…
The song's have grown on me and I'll have to watch it more but....I just wanted another Coco and this felt more like Moana where it has hints of a culture but without the grand adventure.

The song's have grown on me and I'll have to watch it more but....I just wanted another Coco and this felt more like Moana where it has hints of a culture but without the grand adventure.

I’ve watched the movie fully around 4 times. There are tons of nods and influences from Colombia. I think one of its strengths is how intimate the journey is. It’s mainly about repairing a family rift. Mirabel is just one of the best Disney characters in a long time. I also like how each person sings in character vs the standard Broadway style.

I’ve watched the movie fully around 4 times. There are tons of nods and influences from Colombia. I think one of its strengths is how intimate the journey is. It’s mainly about repairing a family rift. Mirabel is just one of the best Disney characters in a long time. I also like how each person sings in character vs the standard Broadway style.
No doubt their are but with Coco it really felt like I understood so much more about the culture and even wanted to celebrate the day of the dead

This film is more using it as a setting and like you said nods...it reminds me of Moana where they kinda do the same thing. Like i said some of the songs grew on me but it's just not one of my favorite Disney films.
Also just a nick pick but I hate the fake family drama with one character who is gone..but not really gone and literally one character knew he was there for years yet didnt tell anyone?

I found the movie a bit underwhelming after watching it twice. Definitely not the worst Disney film not the best. However I did love the skin tone diversity in the film and they didn't focus on showcasing only fair skin Colombians.

Additionally, the biggest issues with the songs for me were you could literally hear Lin Manuel Singing them....his signature is too strong and distinctive where it gets repetitive.

I found the movie a bit underwhelming after watching it twice. Definitely not the worst Disney film not the best. However I did love the skin tone diversity in the film and they didn't focus on showcasing only fair skin Colombians.

Additionally, the biggest issues with the songs for me were you could literally hear Lin Manuel Singing them....his signature is too strong and distinctive where it gets repetitive.
He has been working almost too much

too many projects and so his music feels almost too familiar. I skip most songs up until the pressure song because I the first songs just don’t really hit me like the rest of the sound track

I guess I disagree about completely about the soundtrack. Composers have distinct style. I mean I love Menken but you can always tell when it’s him.
Home of the Range is an example of his meh music and also had a partner for some of his best stuff with Howard Ashman and they rocked. Like tell me the Aladdin, Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast aren't some of Disney best music.

The songs are also going to hit people differently, like you dont prefer big songs but many people including my self do. For example proud of your boy was cut from Aladdin and while I do enjoy the song rather that cut over the big numbers that ended up in the film

This movie seems to be blowing up after it hit Disney+ and the soundtrack is now set to be #1 on the Billboard Albums Chart, unseating Adele.

I saw it in the theater and thought it was only alright. None of the songs grabbed me whatsoever and I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Coco or Moana. I might have to give it a second viewing.

I think what Encanto does well is incorporates more than just window dressing of the culture to the story and actually finds a story that speaks to the culture.

I wasn't a huge fan on my first viewing. Still thought it was beautiful. But I re watched it twice and now I'm a big fan. There's so much detail and story clues that you miss on the first watch. It grew on me.

Just saw it for the first time tonight and I really liked it. It might be my second-favorite animated movie of the year, with Luca just edging it out.

Looking back on 2021, this was one amazing year in terms of how many great animated movies we got. Raya and the Last Dragon, Mitchells vs the Machines, Luca, Vivo, Encanto. Even the lesser films like Spirit: Untamed, Paw Patrol: The Movie, Ron's Gone Wrong, and Sing 2 were fairly decent. Unlike most years, I genuinely have no idea which one will be the front-runner for awards season.

And yes, there was a fair share of crap too (specifically Boss Baby 2 and Space Jam 2).

I saw this on New Year’s day at the El Capitan. Wow! I was truly impressed by the animation and story. However, I didn’t think there was one memorable song. The musical numbers certainly do a good job of serving and advancing the plot, but unlike Frozen or Moana, I didn’t walk out with a single song stuck in my head.

I really enjoyed this one, especially the fact that there wasn't a clear "bad guy" to speak of

That being said, it still probably ranks 3rd or 4th for the year:

1. Raya and the Last Dragon
2. The Mitchell's vs. the Machines
3/4. Luca or Encanto

Just watched this. I enjoyed it, but not my favorite animated movie of the year by a long shot. The Mitchell's vs. the Machines and Raya are tops for me. I really enjoyed the music in Encanto, which is what puts it above Luca (even if there's not necessarily an earworm song). I actually thought Luca was really bland to the point where I have it in the category with Ron's Gone Wrong and Vivo rather than the top films of the year.

I still think Encanto will win Best Animated at the Oscars (Recency bias + Representation + Disney) although I wouldn't be shocked if Mitchell's vs. the Machines won.

However, the Academy does love choosing Disney animated films for this category. Since the 80th Academy Awards (Celebrating 2007 in film), the only non-Disney owned animated films that have won the award have been Rango and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I think one thing everyone should really try is listening to the soundtrack or watching it again. I definitely get not loving it on the first time (I’m the type of person who watches a movie once and I’m good). It’s one of the few Disney movies that have grown on me exponentially with each relisten or rewatch. I remembered thinking the songs were just okay to basically putting them on repeat days later.

I think one thing everyone should really try is listening to the soundtrack or watching it again. I definitely get not loving it on the first time (I’m the type of person who watches a movie once and I’m good). It’s one of the few Disney movies that have grown on me exponentially with each relisten or rewatch. I remembered thinking the songs were just okay to basically putting them on repeat days later.
The one song I loved was “Waiting On A Miracle”. It reminded me of a few of my favorite Broadway songs, a song I can’t quite place from Hamilton, and a tinge of Let It Go all in one.

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” was very good too. I liked how the movie didn’t shy away from doing musical theater type of blocking during many of the songs. As I was watching early on, I said out loud “I can already picture this as a stage musical”.

The one song I loved was “Waiting On A Miracle”. It reminded me of a few of my favorite Broadway songs, a song I can’t quite place from Hamilton, and a tinge of Let It Go all in one.

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” was very good too. I liked how the movie didn’t shy away from doing musical theater type of blocking during many of the songs. As I was watching early on, I said out loud “I can already picture this as a stage musical”.

Encanto is perfect for a musical, it's basically can all be staged in or around Casita. SIGN. ME. UP.