Epcot Status | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot Status

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I often say that EPCOT is really just World Showcase with an annoying mid-rate theme park you need to walk through to get to it. Seriously the last few times I went to Epcot, I only went on a few rides. There is so little there that is worth re-riding. I just don't care about Mission Space, Test Track, or Soaring..which are the "E Ticket attractions"...We usually ride Spaceship Earth because there is never a wait, and its nice and cool inside. Imagination so that we can laugh at how terrible it is. Don't care for Ellen or Nemo. Really dislike almsot every ride in the park..but man are those countries fun to hang out and eat/drink/shop in.

Why they don't have an Food and Wine fest all year confuses me.

I often say that EPCOT is really just World Showcase with an annoying mid-rate theme park you need to walk through to get to it. Seriously the last few times I went to Epcot, I only went on a few rides. There is so little there that is worth re-riding. I just don't care about Mission Space, Test Track, or Soaring..which are the "E Ticket attractions"...We usually ride Spaceship Earth because there is never a wait, and its nice and cool inside. Imagination so that we can laugh at how terrible it is. Don't care for Ellen or Nemo. Really dislike almsot every ride in the park..but man are those countries fun to hang out and eat/drink/shop in.

I mean... they kind of do be default.

The on now is kinda sorta passable.

JIYI was freaking garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage. It was so bad that Eisner got off the thing and was flipping out about how bad it was.
Really?

[video=youtube;pUaTu13Yv6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUaTu13Yv6U[/video]

I mean, looking at the video, IMO I think it actually looks pretty okay. I honestly think people give it too much bad credit just because it's "different". This version just takes a more scientific view of imagination compared to the original version. It's still basically the same ride, and still fits perfectly with Epcot's "educational" theme.

Still, I wouldn't mind if they build a new version that's more closer to the original ride (and maybe finally reopen the second floor of ImageWorks too).

Horrors, that ride is dated. Any time one puts a modern car, bathroom, kitchen into a ride, it will be a dated mess in 10 years. That and the narration. Most tv commercials from 12 years ago look stupid today because they are using a heavy style popular at the time. It won't be the style of how we see things today.

Isn't Epcot the favorite park among adults? So they're doing something right in that respect. And while the park has huge, huge, huge flaws, I don't think Future World is a "mid-rate theme park" you need to bypass to get to World Showcase. I often visit without ever making it into World Showcase and still feel like I got my money's worth.

Eye witnesses say Eisner got of the ride and said, "Where the **** did all that money go?"

I mean, looking at the video, IMO I think it actually looks pretty okay. I honestly think people give it too much bad credit just because it's "different". This version just takes a more scientific view of imagination compared to the original version. It's still basically the same ride, and still fits perfectly with Epcot's "educational" theme.

You can't go on the old ride and then go on JIYI and say it was decent. The ride was a boring, sterile, and industrial. There was no fun involved at all. No IMAGINATION what so ever.

And "educational" doesn't mean boring and terribly unimaginative.

The ride was basically Test Track with no semblance of thrill.

Do you think they can place something other than a country in the World Showcase ? Ex. Atlantis ???

That kind of defeats the purpose of it being a seasonal event. It's like when you see year round haunted houses, they HURT bad for 9 months out of the year and then do good for about 3. Except this would just plateau and then become the norm and not help attendance in the long run.

You can't go on the old ride and then go on JIYI and say it was decent. The ride was a boring, sterile, and industrial. There was no fun involved at all. No IMAGINATION what so ever.

And "educational" doesn't mean boring and terribly unimaginative.

The ride was basically Test Track with no semblance of thrill.
I think you misread my post. I said I thought the ride looked decent in it's own right. Both rides were about imagination, the original version was a very cartoony and sugary way of explaining and showcasing the ways of imagination, while JIYI was just a more scientific way of explaining and teaching the ways of how our imagination works.

"Different" doesn't exactly mean "Bad". Don't let nostalgia make every modern thing look like crap and think that everything in the past was better. For example, what if JIYI was the original ride? And the actual original ride replaced it and became the version we know today? Wouldn't people be saying the new version sucks because "They added that weird creepy guy and that stupid little dragon thing and made the ride into some retarded acid trip, when the original ride was about the interesting scientific ways of our imagination" or something like that.

Be more open-minded of things, do you understand what I'm trying to say?

I think you misread my post. I said I thought the ride looked decent in it's own right. Both rides were about imagination, the original version was a very cartoony and sugary way of explaining and showcasing the ways of imagination, while JIYI was just a more scientific way of explaining and teaching the ways of how our imagination works.

"Different" doesn't exactly mean "Bad". Don't let nostalgia make every modern thing look like crap and think that everything in the past was better. For example, what if JIYI was the original ride? And the actual original ride replaced it and became the version we know today? Wouldn't people be saying the new version sucks because "They added that weird creepy guy and that stupid little dragon thing and made the ride into some retarded acid trip, when the original ride was about the interesting scientific ways of our imagination" or something like that.

It is 1/4th the length, less impressive ride system and had no Animatronics in it.

Even if that were its only offenses it would already be crap. Nostalgia is not the culprit this time.

I understood what you were trying to say from the beginning. Doesn't change the fact that the ride was completely awful. Nostalgia plays very little role in that. The ride was boring, sterile, and lacked any and all imagination. It had boring sets, a boring premise, and boring execution. Nostalgia probably makes me hate it in the special way I do, but the ride was TERRIBLE. It was the worst Disney ride I've ever been oon by a wide margin. There was absolutely nothing interesting about it.

And don't preach to me about being open minded. I'm always ready for something new to replace something old. I hate the fact that they brought back things like the Tiki Room, MSEP, etc instead of building something new.

Fact of the matter is, JIYI was terrible. As far as I know it was the single most complained about attraction in WDW history. Hell, the thing only last like 2 years before it was closed and redone. It was HORRIBLE.

I understood what you were trying to say from the beginning. Doesn't change the fact that the ride was completely awful. Nostalgia plays very little role in that. The ride was boring, sterile, and lacked any and all imagination. It had boring sets, a boring premise, and boring execution. Nostalgia probably makes me hate it in the special way I do, but the ride was TERRIBLE. It was the worst Disney ride I've ever been oon by a wide margin. There was absolutely nothing interesting about it.

And don't preach to me about being open minded. I'm always ready for something new to replace something old. I hate the fact that they brought back things like the Tiki Room, MSEP, etc instead of building something new.

Fact of the matter is, JIYI was terrible. As far as I know it was the single most complained about attraction in WDW history. Hell, the thing only last like 2 years before it was closed and redone. It was HORRIBLE.
You're only excuses are rebeatedly using the words "terrible", "horrible", "awful", "boring" and "sterile" to describe the ride. Did anyone here even watch the video I posted a bit back? I saw the video after hearing all the compliants about it, after watching it my reaction was just "meh". Not exactly the "OMFGWTFHITSOGITIGTV" I heard back when people were ranting about it. To me, it's just a simple little ride that educates about how our imaginations work, and that's that. It wasn't wacky or cartoony or "imaginative" (as you keep calling it) like the first ride, but it worked in it's own seperate thing.

The current version of the ride is kinda the same (in terms of deisgn, tone etc), only this time it just gives Figment a much larger role in comparsion to the last version.

In the end of the day, I still prefer the original ride out of the three, and hope whenever Disney decides to refurbish it, it would hopefully be somewhat closer the tone and look first ride and bring back the Dream Finder.

You're only excuses are rebeatedly using the words "terrible", "horrible", "awful", "boring" and "sterile" to describe the ride.

Do I need any more? They're apt descriptions.

I mean if you find riding through hallways and laboratory scenes with nothing interesting to look at a passable experience, good for you. I don't think you really have a handle on what a ride about Imagination should be, but good for you.

the orginal Figment ride was one of my favorite rides when I was a kid.

why did they decide to ditch Figment and the Dreamfinder in the first place? He was basically the cartoon mascot of Epcot. Why was this decision even made?

why did they decide to ditch Figment and the Dreamfinder in the first place? He was basically the cartoon mascot of Epcot. Why was this decision even made?

I know people have said Kodak's contract stipulated a change in the attraction after a certain number of years. I dunno if that's the case, but that's always what I've been told.

As for the reason they got rid of Figment, I have no idea. It was a real boneheaded mistake.