Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

Again, it's good, even very good, but not great. And considering the time to build and spacing between e tickets you have to remember what's been added to go "oh?".

I finally rode the mine train for the first time today. Meh, it's too similar to Big Thunder Mountain and it isn't as good. Those AAs are beautiful though. I won't trash Disney too much for it, it fits what they needed in Fantasyland, it's just so meh to me though.

I finally rode the mine train for the first time today. Meh, it's too similar to Big Thunder Mountain and it isn't as good. Those AAs are beautiful though. I won't trash Disney too much for it, it fits what they needed in Fantasyland, it's just so meh to me though.

Were the swinging cars cool or was it unnoticeable and or gimmicky?

From my experience, the swinging cars aren't very noticable except for one section of the track that swerves back and forth. You actually get a good taste of the swining during that part and it adds a little extra fun factor to the ride, but I wouldn't call it gimmicky.

From my experience, the swinging cars aren't very noticable except for one section of the track that swerves back and forth. You actually get a good taste of the swining during that part and it adds a little extra fun factor to the ride, but I wouldn't call it gimmicky.

Yeah, while I have not ridden it, I never thought the swing was a gimmick at all, just really cool and fun. I just hoped it would work to its fullest and provide a decent and new thrill.

To be honest with you, I had totally forgotten about the swaying cars and never even noticed it during my ride. Whether that's because it barely sways or I wasn't paying enough attention....who knows. But I can say for sure it can't be anything major for me not to even notice.

I was able to ride it a few months back. I noticed the swinging, but was actually was paying attention to try and notice. Not certain I would have noticed if I wasn't anticipating. Its a fun ride, but I would still take BTMR over it. It could have been a little longer though. Seems really short.

Almost rode it today for the first time but it went down twice so I bailed

The "best kept secret" at WDW is how often SDMT has been breaking down. They can't seem to keep the thing running.

Broke down twice on Friday for MNSSHP and then down twice again just yesterday. Been to MK 3 times in the past week and haven't made it "inside" the queue yet....

I'm wondering if zoning is an issue, like they're trying to push numbers but having issues accomodating too many trains on the circuit simultaneously.
tbh, it's better to run the ride at lower capacity than for it to just be down all the time, especially this far after opening. Get that **** figured out, but don't have it continuously impacting guests ability to experience the attraction.

So it's been a couple years and I know this thread gotten into some pretty good debates on this expansion.

How do we feel about it now?

For me, the FLE is "fine", but exhibits Disney at peak "resting on their laurels" phase. I think it was designed when Disney thought Harry Potter would be a mild diversion for guests instead of the absolute powerhouse it became. Even with the swap out of the M&G complex for SDMT, which was a very good move, it's still just kind of a blah effort. There's little depth to it, and if you have a FP+ for SDMT it can conceivably be toured and finished in an hour or so.

I think if Dis had really swung for the fences, it could have been something truly great. Instead they were in their "No one can touch us" phase, and just kind of settled for a double instead of a homerun. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not great, either.

Last edited:
So it's been a couple years and I know this thread gotten into some pretty good debates on this expansion.

How do we feel about it now?

I have mixed feelings about it. I think Mine Train is too short causing too low of capacity, but is a really neat, unique, and smooth coaster. I hear pretty good positives from the GP when it comes to this ride. I think LM did what it needed which is add capacity with a good AA heavy ride. I think Princess M&G was needed and is a huge hit, but also hit with low capacity (nothing you can do with a M&G to solve this though). My personal favorite is what they did with the Circus area. While the cheapest part, the neat little things like the peanuts in the ground really make it for me. The wet area is a nice cool down spot in the heat along with a place for the young ones to enjoy while the older go on the coaster. I also think adding a second dumbo and putting in the playground for part of the line was genius. I think if they ever do this again with another ride they should make a slightly larger playground that can hold a longer wait. Because half the issue is you get in and the kids don't want to leave when their pager goes off. So if they were in there for a solid 30 minutes I think this would be less of an issue.

I think overall for the GP it was a hit. I think for some theme park geeks it was a miss. For me it is right in the middle. I like most of the additions, but I hate how they cut corners (looking at you mine train), opened in phases, and took forever to build this thing.