Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Frozen being fast-tracked to DHS?

Pride comes into it, no?

I could put half assed food up at work and make money, wouldn't make me proud.

They said they looked happy, not proud :lol:

And besides that, its making people happy. Thats what the business is all about and if Disneys doing that then theyre doing a good job, IMO. We dont know if it was half-assed or not anyway; we just know it spent very little time in development. Im sure several people still worked their butts off getting it done. Was Transformers half-assed because it was built quickly?

This whole thing was a direct order from the top of Parks & Resorts. No one had any say in the matter, not even George K. Apparently it was a "do this because I said so" type of thing from Tom Staggs.

So taking that into consideration, I can see them being at least happy they were able to pull this together and make it look presentable in such a short time. Mostly because if they weren't able to pull it together in time, there could very well have been some execs who wouldn't still have jobs.

I'm pretty sure the people who actually put the work into this event in such a short time are probably embarrassed with the results. The people getting the money however...

Actually, J. Michael Roddy (of Halloween Horror Nights fame) had a major hand in putting together the Sing-Along Show... and has go as far to say that Walt would be proud of what they accomplished. It's certainly an accomplishment that they managed anything remotely functional in ten days, but good lord I wouldn't necessarily praise the event. I hate the whole "kids are having fun" mentality... kids have fun in cardboard boxes and pools. The goal is not just to amaze them (the bar is low), but their entire family. That's the mark of a strong attraction/event/whatever.

Congrats to the creatives involved in making these shenanigans happen. I'm so sorry that this was your assignment, and these were the only resources you had.

Actually, J. Michael Roddy (of Halloween Horror Nights fame) had a major hand in putting together the Sing-Along Show... and has go as far to say that Walt would be proud of what they accomplished. It's certainly an accomplishment that they managed anything remotely functional in ten days, but good lord I wouldn't necessarily praise the event. I hate the whole "kids are having fun" mentality... kids have fun in cardboard boxes and pools. The goal is not just to amaze them (the bar is low), but their entire family. That's the mark of a strong attraction/event/whatever.

Congrats to the creatives involved in making these shenanigans happen. I'm so sorry that this was your assignment, and these were the only resources you had.
Poor Roddy :embarassed: while I do agree it should've been for the family and not just kids, I think we are just being to critical. It is honestly an accomplishment this was done in a week and a half and there are just somethings that you have to do for the kids. What grown man with a daughter would want to go to a frozen event by himself? He takes his little girl because it appeals to her and wants to see her happy. I see this event as I see the disney junior. Take the kids make them happy and get out. Frozen just doesn't have that kind of appeal as let's say Star Wars weekends where there is more than enough for a entire geeky family can do. Even if it was incredibly well done and elaborate, I still don't think it would have that kind of effect

Poor Roddy :embarassed: while I do agree it should've been for the family and not just kids, I think we are just being to critical. It is honestly an accomplishment this was done in a week and a half and there are just somethings that you have to do for the kids. What grown man with a daughter would want to go to a frozen event by himself? He takes his little girl because it appeals to her and wants to see her happy. I see this event as I see the disney junior. Take the kids make them happy and get out. Frozen just doesn't have that kind of appeal as let's say Star Wars weekends where there is more than enough for a entire geeky family can do. Even if it was incredibly well done and elaborate, I still don't think it would have that kind of effect

Nope. Frozen is a cultural phenomenon - even the impossible-to-target college students have embraced it. You've seen all the memes, all the videos, all the hype - Frozen offered something for nearly everyone, and to see such a thrown-together event justified by "it's for the kids" just doesn't stand. It's Disney's loss, I guess - they could probably produce an excellent family dark ride using trackless tech and boost any of its parks, but instead, we get this and a half-assed Maelstrom reskin.

Yeah the reason this was so cheaply put together and the reason Disney would rather remake Norway then build a new ride is because the kids will enjoy it regardless. Believe it or not the popularity of the song let it go will eventually fade, and this "sing along" will as well. This was a great cheap way to take advantage of the popularity...but truthfully it should have been done 4 months ago

Yeah the reason this was so cheaply put together and the reason Disney would rather remake Norway then build a new ride is because the kids will enjoy it regardless. Believe it or not the popularity of the song let it go will eventually fade, and this "sing along" will as well. This was a great cheap way to take advantage of the popularity...but truthfully it should have been done 4 months ago
It's already fading as we speak, there is only so much milking Disney can do for a single movie and they've pretty much done it all this time

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Frozen is a cultural phenomenon - even the impossible-to-target college students have embraced it. You've seen all the memes, all the videos, all the hype - Frozen offered something for nearly everyone, and to see such a thrown-together event justified by "it's for the kids" just doesn't stand. It's Disney's loss, I guess - they could probably produce an excellent family dark ride using trackless tech and boost any of its parks, but instead, we get this and a half-assed Maelstrom reskin.

I'm not saying only little kids enjoy frozen because that just isn't true. I'm saying that this event (gigantic or small like this) won't appeal to anybody besides kids, college girls and life stylers. Imagine your favorite Disney movie being turned onto a event with a entire sing along and little activities, would you honestly go? I sure wouldn't because it's for kids. This isn't and will never be a Star Wars weekends where the majority parents want to go as much as their kids

It's already fading as we speak, there is only so much milking Disney can do for a single movie and they've pretty much done it all this time

I don't think Disney is done with Frozen yet. They are going to milk that cash cow forever. Their fanbase eats it up. The things I saw on Twitter last week from those pixie dust snorting fans made me do this :bang:. They'll literally accept anything Disney throws at them. Some were even comparing the New FantasyLand to Diagon or concept art of Pandora to Diagon...I mean, peeps be crazy.

I'm glad I saw that sing-along show on YouTube before going to the park. What a poorly executed waste of time. My 3 year old loves frozen but I'm sure he'd be bored with the "Historians" yapping away for most of the show. I skipped around and it looked like they only had 2 or 3 songs in the whole 20+ minutes. I had assumed the sing-along parts would at least have the characters out there singing and not just a movie clip I can pull up on YouTube. The "finale" should've been how it was done the whole way through and even then the show would not have been great. WTF Disney?!?!

Funny how so many people think this is a great show just because its Disney.

that's the part that I didn't get and what makes this suck so much for me,

I didn't pay too much attention to the video but, Why were there historians talking and not the main characters? what the hell :lol:

How come the two girls didn't stay out? shouldn't that be the whole point? to see the sing along with them on stage?

I don't think Disney is done with Frozen yet. They are going to milk that cash cow forever. Their fanbase eats it up. The things I saw on Twitter last week from those pixie dust snorting fans made me do this :bang:. They'll literally accept anything Disney throws at them. Some were even comparing the New FantasyLand to Diagon or concept art of Pandora to Diagon...I mean, peeps be crazy.
Oh my god I KNOW!!! These people are mad I tell you!!! Why not keep milking if people will buy 10 of the same Olaf dolls for Christmas presents, eBay, personal collections ect. There is nothing wrong with liking something but when a obsession becomes a mental sickness then acquire help

Oh my god I KNOW!!! These people are mad I tell you!!! Why not keep milking if people will buy 10 of the same Olaf dolls for Christmas presents, eBay, personal collections ect. There is nothing wrong with liking something but when a obsession becomes a mental sickness then acquire help

I always say like something, but be realistic! If someone really does like Frozen Summer for x,y and z reasons, that's fine. I'm not going to say someone is wrong for liking what they like, but you have to admit the issues. Anyone who says the Frozen Summer isn't a desperate cash grab and that Disney isn't sitting on their ass doing nothing right now is someone you just can't speak rationally with.

That's what i'm more upset about is we could have an amazing track-less ride based off this movie, but are more than likely just getting a Maelstrom retrofit. This is a nice summer addition, nothing more.

I was actually pretty impressed with what they did in such little time

I don't understand this either. Just because they did it in little time doesn't mean is good. It is still bad. Reminds me of when they rush a house for HHN at the last minute, Sure, with the little time they had they could make something,

But that doesn't make it any better, the thing still sucks. I know it seems like an accomplishment that they created and wrote something in little time, so I understand people working behind this meeting a deadline. But the project is still very poorly made either way.

I always say like something, but be realistic! If someone really does like Frozen Summer for x,y and z reasons, that's fine. I'm not going to say someone is wrong for liking what they like, but you have to admit the issues. Anyone who says the Frozen Summer isn't a desperate cash grab and that Disney isn't sitting on their ass doing nothing right now is someone you just can't speak rationally with.
I don't think it's a "Desperate cash grab" so much as a desperate attempt to keep attendance up at the studios. It just happens to come with a lot of merchandising opportunities, not unlike SWW.

We can't just call everything Desperate Cash grabs though. Those Frozen premium packages were definitely worth it if you wanted to guarantee seeing everything throughout the day. You could easily make your money back on the package with the drinks and dessert alone too. Sure Disney makes money on these things, but sometimes convenience and peace of mind can easily make things worth it (especially if visitors only have one day).

Also, I don't want to be that guy, but if Disney was truly sitting on their ass, this event wouldn't have happened at all. I get people are frustrated that attractions aren't happening quickly or aimed at our demographic lately. I get it. But what were you expecting here? It wasn't like they were going to open up a full-scale attraction.

Maybe this event, will show that the demand for Frozen is there and a full ride should be built instead of a redo at Maelstrom. I think that's the best thing we can hope to come out of this event.

Last edited:
^No, we need a "that guy", several actually. As bad as Pixie Dusters are, a lot of the same people criticizing the hell out of this give praise to the Superstar Parade and Cinematic Spectacular. Every park has some duds or "cash grabs", the problem is everyone only cares to point out Disney's.

Also, I don't want to be that guy, but if Disney was truly sitting on their ass, this event wouldn't have happened at all. I get people are frustrated that attractions aren't happening quickly or aimed at our demographic lately. I get it. But what were you expecting here? It wasn't like they were going to open up a full-scale attraction.

Touché, they aren't sitting on their ass completely because as badly put together as this is, at least it was put together. Sitting on their ass, no, but they are at least sitting on one cheek.

^No, we need a "that guy", several actually. As bad as Pixie Dusters are, a lot of the same people criticizing the hell out of this give praise to the Superstar Parade and Cinematic Spectacular. Every park has some duds or "cash grabs", the problem is everyone only cares to point out Disney's.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see nearly as many, dare I say any, Universal Pixie Duster equivalent fans. You can perhaps point me to some, but I personally haven't see any. I see Universal fans who praise things like Diagon Alley, rightfully so, and also shake their head in embarrassment of things like Rockit and Cinematic Spectacular. Even I, whenever I go on ROTM can't help but turn a bit red when those horrible static warrior mummies pop up.

Universal continues to fail with some things, have failed and will fail again in the future. The difference is the majority of Universal fans will look at something like when Rockit was being built and we knew Universal was just trying to cram a new ride in that tiny space, despite ruining the New York facade and generally creating a not so great ride. Very few people were making an excuse like "IT'S JUST FOR KIDS! KIDS ARE HAPPY!". Universal doesn't get excuses when they fail, Disney does.

Touché, they aren't sitting on their ass completely because as badly put together as this is, at least it was put together. Sitting on their ass, no, but they are at least sitting on one cheek.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see nearly as many, dare I say any, Universal Pixie Duster equivalent fans. You can perhaps point me to some, but I personally haven't see any. I see Universal fans who praise things like Diagon Alley, rightfully so, and also shake their head in embarrassment of things like Rockit and Cinematic Spectacular. Even I, whenever I go on ROTM can't help but turn a bit red when those horrible static warrior mummies pop up.

Universal continues to fail with some things, have failed and will fail again in the future. The difference is the majority of Universal fans will look at something like when Rockit was being built and we knew Universal was just trying to cram a new ride in that tiny space, despite ruining the New York facade and generally creating a not so great ride. Very few people were making an excuse like "IT'S JUST FOR KIDS! KIDS ARE HAPPY!". Universal doesn't get excuses when they fail, Disney does.

I second this post, I agree.

Let me just ask you a question: Have you been to the event?

Yes, you can clearly tell that they used a lot of xmas decorations (even some xmas floats), throughout the park and it has a bit of a temporary feel, but it isn't that bad of an event overall. Soundstage 1 looks really good, the mini-parade was packed and more than just floats (had actual performers with choreography). The Fireworks were good as well.

Sure, people are going to spend tons of money on overpriced Frozen merch all summer. But people are going to spend tons of money at Diagon this summer too. $45 just to do the interactive wand game. These companies are businesses and will capitalize if there is a hot market.

My point is, I just don't see the point in making a big deal about this being put together last minute and having a temporary feel in some areas. It's a summer offering that we wouldn't have had otherwise. If this comes back next year though, I expect it to be improved upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I try to stay fair to both sides. Sometimes people just want to see WDW fail it seems, which is the sad part. It's worse on WDWMagic though, holy crap. I've never seen that place more negative on WDW than it has been the past year or so.

I don't understand this either. Just because they did it in little time doesn't mean is good. It is still bad. Reminds me of when they rush a house for HHN at the last minute, Sure, with the little time they had they could make something,

But that doesn't make it any better, the thing still sucks. I know it seems like an accomplishment that they created and wrote something in little time, so I understand people working behind this meeting a deadline. But the project is still very poorly made either way.

I don't know what you were expecting but something that was literally put together in two weeks. And honestly, even if this was in the works for months, I don't see them having done much more than that.