Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plot Twist: What if it's going to be a dark ride and a Harry Potter boutique hotel?

A few points:

1- in Rowling we trust. Universal Creative certainly hasn't been able to match what UC + Rowling has been able to. Not even close. I really enjoyed kong- but everything they do without Rowling is just "good to really good" but always has that "I wish it just had this one more thing" feel to it. Whereas everything with JK has been ridiculously perfect and beyond expectations.

2- as much as a HP expansion and SNW in the same year sounds orgasmic to us, theme park fans- it would be beyond dumb for Universal- and the resort as a whole. Those project need to be spread out to keep the crowds coming, to spread budgets, and to keep excitement. I still vote HP to go head to head vs SWL and then follow it up the next year with SNW. That'd be a massive win I'd think.

3- Please, please for the love of God- be what that article mentions. Interactive wands on the ride. And if no screens- I might as well be in heaven. Being able to "cast spells" on physical objects would be over the top awesome. If we get a solid refresh in hogsmeade- all the better. I don't see a great hall every happening- otherwise we would have seen it in any of the other HP iterations. But if they just would, I'd gladly direct deposit my paycheck into Gringotts and just live there.

Reactions: Joel
A few points:

1- in Rowling we trust. Universal Creative certainly hasn't been able to match what UC + Rowling has been able to. Not even close. I really enjoyed kong- but everything they do without Rowling is just "good to really good" but always has that "I wish it just had this one more thing" feel to it. Whereas everything with JK has been ridiculously perfect and beyond expectations.

2- as much as a HP expansion and SNW in the same year sounds orgasmic to us, theme park fans- it would be beyond dumb for Universal- and the resort as a whole. Those project need to be spread out to keep the crowds coming, to spread budgets, and to keep excitement. I still vote HP to go head to head vs SWL and then follow it up the next year with SNW. That'd be a massive win I'd think.

3- Please, please for the love of God- be what that article mentions. Interactive wands on the ride. And if no screens- I might as well be in heaven. Being able to "cast spells" on physical objects would be over the top awesome. If we get a solid refresh in hogsmeade- all the better. I don't see a great hall every happening- otherwise we would have seen it in any of the other HP iterations. But if they just would, I'd gladly direct deposit my paycheck into Gringotts and just live there.
What is SNW and SWL?

A few points:

2- as much as a HP expansion and SNW in the same year sounds orgasmic to us, theme park fans- it would be beyond dumb for Universal- and the resort as a whole. Those project need to be spread out to keep the crowds coming, to spread budgets, and to keep excitement. I still vote HP to go head to head vs SWL and then follow it up the next year with SNW. That'd be a massive win I'd think

I'll disagree of what your saying, of it not being a smart move.

Comcast, as seen through the past few years, has been willing to take financial risks, and is giving more for the parks to use. And with Nintendo being a global powerhouse in a surprising way, it would be wise to add a counterbalance to get people elsewhere from Nintendo.

I have to think, with something as Lucrative and popular as the Nintendo brand, adding something to get people away from the landmark land would be ideal. Especially if the Forbidden Forest can hold more capacity for IOA.

I see it as a way to divert people from Nintendo, but that's just me.

A few points:

9325080020.jpg

Kong is a better ride than Gringotts imo and that was all UC.

A few points:

More like in Rowling we can't do unnecessary cuts. The issue I'm noticing is with having someone at the top who doesn't seem to get override, there is no balance to say no keep that in or get rid of that or change this. That person gets final say.

A few points:

Point #1 is garbage. The work being done is by Stuart Craig, Alan Gilmore, and the WB crew just as much as UC. JKR's input is a final approval only. Event then I do not think UC's output is not "not even close" to the Potter stuff.

I don't think Universal would open Nintendo & a new HP area in the same calendar year. That would be marketing folly. But it makes sense to open them in back to back years. That would be a heck of a one two punch. (Instead of the Disney Potter swatter, this could be a Star Wars swatter ;):lol:) Seriously, though, between these probable projects, and Star Wars Land up the highway,Orlando will be flooded with tourists with Universal & Disney feeding off of each other's success. It will be no problem filling up all those new hotel rooms.

The big issue I see with a HP is that the only theme I can really see for it is Hogwarts and that already exists within the land.
Can't use the word Forbidden, cause they called the first ride that. Wanna tie into the new series, but keep the time period of Hogsmeade from the original series. Won't be including the original child actors. So the ride should be called:

"Forest of Fantastic Beasts"

A dark ride with some outdoor elements that's a magical tour through the Forbidden forest. You ride in an enchanted buggy cast with a spell to keep you safe from the creatures that call the forest home. Perhaps Hagrid is our guide, or at least gets us started in the preshow and queue.

On our trip we'll see centaurs, spiders, hippogriff, plus all the crazy animals not shown in the films, but talked about in the books.

Bam! Family dark ride that ties everything together without being too redundant. And lots of room for interactive wand stuff in a virtual queue courtyard behind Hagrids hut that you can do before and after the ride. (For safety sake, I just don't see Universal allowing you to wave pointy sticks around on a ride.)

Kong is a better ride than Gringotts imo and that was all UC.
Im not talking about ride tech or the rides themselves. I'm talking about the final details. I loved kong too!

More like in Rowling we can't do unnecessary cuts. The issue I'm noticing is with having someone at the top who doesn't seem to get override, there is no balance to say no keep that in or get rid of that or change this. That person gets final say.

Point #1 is garbage. The work being done is by Stuart Craig, Alan Gilmore, and the WB crew just as much as UC. JKR's input is a final approval only. Event then I do not think UC's output is not "not even close" to the Potter stuff.
I think @quinnmac000 hit it on the head. That final approval is the difference between the Gringotts marble columns looking as good as they do or not. "Not even close" was harsh- but I think we can agree that the final approval and secondary viewpoint has only benefited the final output of HP. And while things like sapphire falls and toothsome are perfect IMO- I feel their output outside of HP has fallen just short of what less cuts and final approval from a third party would provide.

All that to say- everything UC has done without JK (sans toothsome IMO) we thought it might be a little more. Kong with more physical sets, etc. when Diagon was announced- did we all really think it would be as incredible as it is? JKs input and/or budget has always overdelivered and exceeded expectations. And I think that's the difference. That's why I say "in JK I trust"- because she and UC together have done nothing other than exceed expectations.

Last edited:
I don't think Universal would open Nintendo & a new HP area in the same calendar year. That would be marketing folly. But it makes sense to open them in back to back years. That would be a heck of a one two punch. (Instead of the Disney Potter swatter, this could be a Star Wars swatter ;):lol:) Seriously, though, between these probable projects, and Star Wars Land up the highway,Orlando will be flooded with tourists with Universal & Disney feeding off of each other's success. It will be no problem filling up all those new hotel rooms.

Potter and Nintendo Vs Star Wars situation would mean more people for Universal because they are getting two things instead of one.

Reactions: Mike S
The big issue I see with a HP is that the only theme I can really see for it is Hogwarts and that already exists within the land.

Well the plot is next to the Hogwarts building, so connect the facades of the hotel and the existing building. A single tower of rooms. Probably less than 100. Rooms themed to the Griffindor rooms. Each floor could have a central area themed to the common room. Actually, they could have different floors themed to different houses. At check in, the sorting hat chooses your room. Wands for room keys. Great Hall table service restaurant. Theres lots of ideas that could work. Private park entrance.

While I agree, it's not happening, there is probably room for it and they could charge whatever they wanted and still have close to 100% occupancy.

Reactions: Andysol
Status
Not open for further replies.