Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 108 37.4%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 62.6%

• Total voters
I know, the state of the ride makes this a tough one. I think the land itself is better with the JP theme, especially the discovery center, but the marquee attraction is falling apart by the day. The land is great and sets high expectations just for its major e-ticket to disappoint. It seems like uni would only spend money to fix the attraction if it was given a JW retheme, but then you’d lose the charm of the land. In a perfect world they’d overhaul it and keep the JP theme, but uni seems to be pretty stubborn on that one
Are we sure about that? I think there’s still love within the company for the original film, there’s a TON going on for the 30th anniversary this year.

Check out this still ongoing official web series for the anniversary (recognize where these are filmed?):

In regards to the switch over to JW, it would certainly cater to the newest audiences being exposed to that saga for the first time. My nephews (6yrs old and under) just watched JW for the first time and are completely obsessed with dinosaurs because of that movie. I can imagine that JW for them will hold the same nostalgic power that JP holds for some of us. As Universal evolves, they would be wise to continue jumping on this JW wagon to market to younger families and kids who will soon be teenagers. They have to continue looking towards the future Universal parkgoer, not necessarily the older generations.

Do I want them to remove the JP themeing? No. But I admit - having that end scene and a total refresh of the ride would be welcome. We've also learned with Universal that very little is sacred. ET truly seems to be the only non-expendable IP at the entire resort right now. Making the switch to JW makes sense and might be what's best.

In regards to the switch over to JW, it would certainly cater to the newest audiences being exposed to that saga for the first time. My nephews (6yrs old and under) just watched JW for the first time and are completely obsessed with dinosaurs because of that movie. I can imagine that JW for them will hold the same nostalgic power that JP holds for some of us. As Universal evolves, they would be wise to continue jumping on this JW wagon to market to younger families and kids who will soon be teenagers. They have to continue looking towards the future Universal parkgoer, not necessarily the older generations.

Do I want them to remove the JP themeing? No. But I admit - having that end scene and a total refresh of the ride would be welcome. We've also learned with Universal that very little is sacred. ET truly seems to be the only non-expendable IP at the entire resort right now. Making the switch to JW makes sense and might be what's best.
Jurassic Park and Jurassic World attractions and theming can exist side by side though, they already do to great effect.

Jurassic Park and Jurassic World attractions and theming can exist side by side though, they already do to great effect.
They sure do! Unfortunately, VC does not appeal to younger audiences due to varying limitations. It could also be argued that JPRA wouldn't appeal either with the drop at the end but it is certainly more than VC. All about looking towards the future with an appreciation for what got them there...I wouldn't be surprised to see it switched over.

They sure do! Unfortunately, VC does not appeal to younger audiences due to varying limitations. It could also be argued that JPRA wouldn't appeal either with the drop at the end but it is certainly more than VC. All about looking towards the future with an appreciation for what got them there...I wouldn't be surprised to see it switched over.
Are you referring to children in regards to “younger” audiences ?

I'm sure Camp Jurassic and Pteranodon Flyers appeal to children, and are ambiguous enough in their theming that they still identify with Jurassic World fans. Raptor Encounter is also a distinctly JW experience for all ages, and the Discovery Center is very Jurassic Park but I imagine kids who are more familiar with Jurassic World still enjoy it.

I'm sure Camp Jurassic and Pteranodon Flyers appeal to children, and are ambiguous enough in their theming that they still identify with Jurassic World fans. Raptor Encounter is also a distinctly JW experience for all ages, and the Discovery Center is very Jurassic Park but I imagine kids who are more familiar with Jurassic World still enjoy it.
All fair points!

Reactions: DodgsonHere
Status Report as of a day ago:

- Ultrasaur is still enjoying her indefinite vacation to site B.
- Baby stego is somewhat frozen, only swaying side to side slowly with no head movements.
- Mama stego is completely frozen with her head faced away from the guests and tucked into the bushes. Maybe she saw a squirrel.
- First parasaur is completely missing, maybe she joined the ultrasaur on their vacation.
- Second parasaur is stuck completely out of the water and only rolls her head around when her motion is triggered.
- Compys are both completely frozen.
- First raptor has decent movement but doesn’t move forward as intended.
- Second raptor is stuck in the upright position and lacks any motion except for slight arm twitches.
- Dilos look really good, but the one on the left has a broken frill.
- Rexy looks opening day quality good

Overall it’s in very very rough shape. The second half of the ride is starting to suffer but is saved by how good Rexy looks. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just spending the entire maintenance budget on keeping her looking good. The first half is nearly unridable. The only two dinosaurs in the entire first half who are both present and working as intended are the Psittacosaurs. This leaves you all the way up until the falling crate to see another effect that isn’t broken or missing in some way.

It sounds weird to say but seeing it get this bad gives me hope that they’ve got bigger plans in store for a true overhaul!

- Baby stego is somewhat frozen, only swaying side to side slowly with no head movements.
- Mama stego is completely frozen with her head faced away from the guests and tucked into the bushes. Maybe she saw a squirrel.
- First parasaur is completely missing, maybe she joined the ultrasaur on their vacation.
- Second parasaur is stuck completely out of the water and only rolls her head around when her motion is triggered.
- Second raptor is stuck in the upright position and lacks any motion except for slight arm twitches.

Overall it’s in very very rough shape. The second half of the ride is starting to suffer but is saved by how good Rexy looks. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just spending the entire maintenance budget on keeping her looking good. The first half is nearly unridable. The only two dinosaurs in the entire first half who are both present and working as intended are the Psittacosaurs. This leaves you all the way up until the falling crate to see another effect that isn’t broken or missing in some way.

It sounds weird to say but seeing it get this bad gives me hope that they’ve got bigger plans in store for a true overhaul!
The silver lining is that the Ultrasaur and Parasaur being gone more than likely means work is being done on them, and could mean that more animatronics will get overhauls if they're willing to have 2 absent from the attraction right now. If there's any time for them to do some serious work on the ride, it's probably this year and next year. I assume they want the entire resort looking fresh for EU's debut.

Also, I really enjoy these status updates for attractions. Wish we had a thread for this type of thing for multiple rides.

The silver lining is that the Ultrasaur and Parasaur being gone more than likely means work is being done on them, and could mean that more animatronics will get overhauls if they're willing to have 2 absent from the attraction right now. If there's any time for them to do some serious work on the ride, it's probably this year and next year. I assume they want the entire resort looking fresh for EU's debut.

Also, I really enjoy these status updates for attractions. Wish we had a thread for this type of thing for multiple rides.

That is the goal - just an odd choice to not refurbish the first Ultrasaur during its refurb earlier this year as it's the main point of emphasis in the first scene.

I really hope Universal has a plan to correct all this (and I don't mean a re-theme), because it sounds horrendous.

Last edited:

No thanks that would take us one step closer into turning into WDWMagic forum and I’m not fan of that. I think these casual random updates work best.

Last edited: