General Movies & TV Thread | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm still upset Alamo Draft House cancelled their plan to build in Orlando. I would gladly pay for a premium experience if it truly is premium (no kids, strict rules on talking and phones, etc.)

I still miss the old Ritz theaters in Philadelphia and South Jersey-- no kids under 16 allowed, premium experience and real butter on the popcorn!

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Frozen 3 makes sense. It's been gaining traction in the interviews as of late by cast that this seems to be in development for a while.

Probably going to be the November 2024 film for WDA.

Zootopia makes sense too. With the DAK project plus Shanghai, I have to imagine this has been in the cards for a while; but that certain events had delayed the development momentum. Can see this hitting 2025. As far as Toy Story 5...pass.

If Frozen 2 went with the alternate ending of Elsa letting the castle fall to rebuild for a better future, I'd probably be more intrigued for a third film. But they didn't...

As for Zootopia 2, this one is admittedly in a weird spot. Out of the three announced films, this one by far has the most potential to expand be it stories, characters etc. But when you throw in the current events between 2016 and now, you've got a weird situation.

Finally, with Toy Story 5. At this point, it feels like nothing but a cash grab. There's also the underlying feeling that if they keep making film sequels, they're going to eventually botch the ending to the series.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
So after WDAS and Pixar putting out a combined 7 originals out of their 8 movies so far this decade, we've got a lot of sequels now with Inside Out 2, Zootopia 2, Frozen 3, and Toy Story 5. There are still three originals between the animation studios on the horizon with Elemental, Wish, and Elio. Disney has an issue currently though with branding as Chapek really sort of branded Disney animation as something that was viewed on Disney+ during the pandemic and now they are having a tough time getting people to show up to theaters for their movies again. Of course, many of their recent outings have been very mediocre and the best of the bunch of late imo (Encanto) didn't become popular until it went to Disney+.

So with that recent knowledge, it's not surprising they are turning to franchises again as those will draw people to theaters no doubt. Zootopia 2 and Inside Out 2 i'm most excited for with Frozen 3 making sense, although i'm still skeptical about it just like I am with Toy Story 5. It's hard to make good musical sequels. They pulled it off with Frozen 2, but that's where my skepticism is for Frozen 3 is if the music will be there for a third one. A third one makes sense to round out a trilogy though.

As for Toy Story 5, It's obviously very unnecessary. I'd be lying to say I have no interest in it. I have trepidation on them ruining what has been the best animated franchise running though. I'd rather they reboot things or something at this point if we're really being honest. TS3 felt like the perfect goodbye for Andy and TS4 felt like the perfect goodbye to Woody & Buzz. Based on the history of them proving me wrong when I had trepidation about if they could pull off another film in the past (with TS3 earning a 98% on RT and TS4 getting a 97%) and all four TS films being virtually beloved, I probably should feel comfortable a little more comfortable that they'll get it right. But I just don't which is too bad. It's once again going to be a "prove me wrong" situation.

Finally, with Toy Story 5. At this point, it feels like nothing but a cash grab. There's also the underlying feeling that if they keep making film sequels, they're going to eventually botch the ending to the series.
Can't bat 1.000% forever. They got both TS3 and TS4 right when people doubted them, but eventually it's going to go sideways. If they bring back mostly the same team from TS4 i'll feel more comfortable.

East Asian theatres have been doing ticket price based on seats from the past five years....bad seats get you a discount, good seats at a premium. It allows people to stack discounts and actually go see shows allowing for full theatres rather than some seats empty because no one wants to sit in them.

If Toy Story 5 wasn’t announced during an earnings call, I’d feel a lot better about it.

Toy Story 4 was announced by the creative team. Their message was simple: Toy Story had the perfect ending and we needed a story special enough to add to that coda. I had the sense that Disney had waited to find the right movie to show (even if it was a cash grab…)

This announcement just feels like a cash grab all around.

If Toy Story 5 wasn’t announced during an earnings call, I’d feel a lot better about it.

Toy Story 4 was announced by the creative team. Their message was simple: Toy Story had the perfect ending and we needed a story special enough to add to that coda. I had the sense that Disney had waited to find the right movie to show (even if it was a cash grab…)

This announcement just feels like a cash grab all around.
I’ve had a bit to think about it and they did the Andy trilogy perfectly and to me that’s sort of all that matters.

Everything TS4 and beyond is a cash grab, it just happens that TS4 was really good (and it was apparently hot garbage at one point before Rashida Jones and the other original co-writer got replaced).

We’re probably looking at another movie beyond even TS5 to finish off a second trilogy a second trilogy eventually - the “Bonnie trilogy” if you will. At this point just expect that these movies are just going to keep coming and hope for the best.

THANK YOU!

Hopefully this leads to higher quality product and less feeling of “Marvel Fatigue” that Phase Four had due to a new movie or show being out seemingly every other week.

It's a genuinely stunning collab of parties both in front and behind. Really interested to see how this is going to be released, if it'll be released by A24 (Who is producing The Idol) or if it'll be picked up by someone larger.
With Abel in it, Jenna Ortega (coming off Wednesday), and Barry Keoghan (coming off of Banshees of Inisherin), it could definitely go larger, but will probably be a studio that specializes in these types of films, meaning either, A24, Searchlight, Focus, etc.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
With Abel in it, Jenna Ortega (coming off Wednesday), and Barry Keoghan (coming off of Banshees of Inisherin), it could definitely go larger, but will probably be a studio that specializes in these types of films, meaning either, A24, Searchlight, Focus, etc.

I think with a trio like that it could easily be bought by a larger group--but A24 would make a lot of sense if it's piggybacking off of the collaboration of The Idol.

The other thing, albeit in the sense; is how will be different than The Idol--which atleast in my eyes: looks to be tackling exploitation, toxicity and the rise of artists and figures within Hollywood as they try to stand out amongst themselves. Maybe given the nature of the three actors, we might be getting a story on romantic relationships, cheating and how people react to being cheated by?

Abel is probably the most exciting singer-to-actor working right now (sorry Gaga) but I was left very cold by Waves. Cautious but intrigued.