Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Movies & TV Thread

You Hurt My Feelings (A24)

Is a pretty good/great comedy. The main stars have pretty great Chemistry together and David Cross is as always funny.

If your looking for something fun, I'd recommend it.

Bad new at Pixar as some very big names are kicked out by Disney. I guess the toy they bought is broken and they throw it out instead of fixing it. Talented artists always find a new (better) place to work, maybe at Sony or Illumination/ Dreamworks?
Exclusive: Walt Disney's Pixar targets 'Lightyear' execs among 75 job cuts
It is broken. The art styles that they’ve used there for quite some time to great success is no longer working with mediocre movies like it used to.

Look at what audiences are responding to now: The two Spiderverse films, Puss In Boots 2, Mitchell’s Vs. The Machines, etc. You could go all the way back to 2014’s The Lego Movie as well. Audiences are responding very well to smartly written animated movies with heart (but are also silly enough for kids) and have unique animation. Disney has not changed to try this type of style yet (and note just unique animation doesn’t mean good movie or success, you need the other components).

Art isn't easy
Overnight you're a trend
You're the right combination
Then the trend's at an end
You're suddenly last year's sensation
Following trends is not what I’m necessarily implying Disney do, but they also shouldn’t just be doing the same thing over and over, failing for the most part outside of a few movies since 2020 (and not just failing commercially, but just at being a good movie), and not changing it up.

It is broken. The art styles that they’ve used there for quite some time to great success is no longer working with mediocre movies like it used to.

Look at what audiences are responding to now: The two Spiderverse films, Puss In Boots 2, Mitchell’s Vs. The Machines, etc. You could go all the way back to 2014’s The Lego Movie as well. Audiences are responding very well to smartly written animated movies with heart (but are also silly enough for kids) and have unique animation. Disney has not changed to try this type of style yet (and note just unique animation doesn’t mean good movie or success, you need the other components).
Disney is the one who created that situation by letting them make movies by spreadsheet. The same happened with their hand drawn animation. The story there was that people didn't want to see hand drawn animation anymore, which was bullshit. Instead fixing the problem (giving less power to management and the marketing department and leave it up to the creatives to do what they do best) they throw super creative people away as if they where responsible.

Watched the new White Men Can’t Jump last night. Nothing about it was bad, honestly. Jack Harlow was fine in one of his first movie roles, the other co-star was fine as well. The whole thing was just…. Fine.

However, to me, I felt the leads lacked the charisma needed, many jokes fell flat for me, so it lacked a reason to exist when we have the classic one. But my younger Brother and Sister really enjoyed it. This movie definitely seemed like it was aimed at Gen Z and giving them their own version in their language.

Just got out of seeing an A-List preview showing of The Blackening. Thought it was hilarious throughout and a great parody while still being original, even though I sort of saw the twist coming (my theater was cracking up during the whole thing).

If you’re looking to have a really fun time seeing a movie this weekend but don’t want to support The Flash, this movie will not disappoint.

Just got out of seeing an A-List preview showing of The Blackening. Thought it was hilarious throughout and a great parody while still being original, even though I sort of saw the twist coming (my theater was cracking up during the whole thing).

If you’re looking to have a really fun time seeing a movie this weekend but don’t want to support The Flash, this movie will not disappoint.
I'm definitely thinking about catching it but I saw split reviews from the reviewers I follow. How gory is it? And would you say it's more of a funny horror movie, or a scary comedy?

I'm definitely thinking about catching it but I saw split reviews from the reviewers I follow. How gory is it? And would you say it's more of a funny horror movie, or a scary comedy?
Go in for the comedy. The plot happens to have horror elements, but even then it stays in the comedic lane.

And not that gory really at all save for maybe one sequence that’s played for comedy more than anything. This is not a true horror movie. I think people who go in expecting a ton of gore will be let down, but as someone who likes this type of comedy, I came out pleasantly surprised.

Caught a preview of Gene Stupnisky's No Hard Feelings tonight. This movie has a predictable premise and it ends roughly the way you'd expect simply based on that premise. This is a film that blends Stupnisky's Good Boys and Bad Teacher vibes together very well. It has a decent amount of laughs throughout, truly earns it's R-rating in hilarious ways, and brings a new spin on a premise told many times, which is the old "I didn't mean to/wasn't supposed to fall in love with you" (not a spoiler, this comes at you fast in the movie - it may even be in the marketing).

The whole cast was really good as well, with this being an attempted revival of Jennifer Lawrence's recently sputtering career. This is a completely new lane for her and she does very well delivering both laughs and more emotional bits. Andrew Barth Feldman was perfect casting as the male lead and nice to see him getting some movie work after being Evan Hanson on Broadway. He does get a chance to showcase his voice in this movie as well, which was nice.

Overall, it was an enjoyable movie. Not necessary to see in a theater, but would definitely recommend at least catching once it hits streaming.

I saw Elemental and asteroid city

I think both are films you could wait until seeing them at home.

Elemental art really does impress but the story and characters, maybe they become big later but I feel like the film isn't really made for kids or most adults. Not sure who it is for unlike Pixar in its hey day, they had such basic but cool ideas with Monsters Inc, Nemo and Toy Story....we just need to get back to those kinda films. It feels like at this point Pixar is therapy for people to tell their story over telling a simple story in a way both kids and adults love.

Asteroid city is funny but I just find his older films funnier and more interesting. I'm sure many people into film will love the colors, costumers and behind the scenes look at Hollywood. But for me it was a film I was excited for because of reviews but I would not recommend most people see this film in theaters

I saw Elemental and asteroid city

I think both are films you could wait until seeing them at home.

Elemental art really does impress but the story and characters, maybe they become big later but I feel like the film isn't really made for kids or most adults. Not sure who it is for unlike Pixar in its hey day, they had such basic but cool ideas with Monsters Inc, Nemo and Toy Story....we just need to get back to those kinda films. It feels like at this point Pixar is therapy for people to tell their story over telling a simple story in a way both kids and adults love.

Asteroid city is funny but I just find his older films funnier and more interesting. I'm sure many people into film will love the colors, costumers and behind the scenes look at Hollywood. But for me it was a film I was excited for because of reviews but I would not recommend most people see this film in theaters
I *might* be going to see Asteroid City if I can find a showing that works when I go see Indy 5 on the 29th (or some other time earlier that week). Elemental looks okay, but I used to expect better than “okay” from Pixar.

Ryan Murphy is leaving Netflix to go over to Disney where he does most of his work anyway through 20th Television currently (9-1-1, 9-1-1: Lone Star, American Horror Story, American Crime Story, American Horror Stories, Feud, etc).

Ironically, Disney (through 20th century) actually produced a good amount of his work at Netflix (The Politician, Ratched). Disney also owns some of Murphy's work such as Popular, Glee, Pose and Scream Queens (which Murphy has expressed interest in reviving).

Asteroid City is excellent. A lot of people are gonna be frustrated by it, and that's alright - the movie is designed to take you out of the experience at times - but there's parts that are moving, and I don't think they'd work without the sort of obtuse bits. Kind of stunning. I really did not care for French Dispatch so I'm surprised by how much I liked this one.

Also the scene where they first see the UFO is awe-inspiring, and there's a roadrunner that literally goes beep beep. Five stars, give him an oscar.

Saw the Blackening, Elemental, and Asteroid City this weekend.

Blackening was a great comedic take on blackness and horror in modern days. While a lot of the jokes you have to be in the know somewhat to get, it really works well.

Elemental I enjoyed most of the film and i enjoyed the messaging behind the film despite the story being somewhat flimsy. It was really cute overall.

Asteroid City was probably the most abstract of the films but i enjoyed it a lot. However, i think a lot of the GP really will not take to it kindly. There were multiple walkouts during my showing.

Saw the Blackening, Elemental, and Asteroid City this weekend.

Blackening was a great comedic take on blackness and horror in modern days. While a lot of the jokes you have to be in the know somewhat to get, it really works well.

Elemental I enjoyed most of the film and i enjoyed the messaging behind the film despite the story being somewhat flimsy. It was really cute overall.

Asteroid City was probably the most abstract of the films but i enjoyed it a lot. However, i think a lot of the GP really will not take to it kindly. There were multiple walkouts during my showing.
Between The Blackening, No Hard Feelings, and the promise of the upcoming Barbie and Joy Ride (Joy Ride looks like a riot), the theatrical comedy is back in full force.

I’ll be seeing Asteroid City Thursday prior to Indy.

Saw Elemental today. This is potentially them most visually stunning movie Pixar has ever done. Unfortunately the script isn't on the same level. The movie took about 35 minutes before I actually started to get into it so if I waited for streaming i'll be honest, i'm not sure if I would have watched the whole thing.

Once the move got to the Lauv song at around that 35 minute mark, I really started to enjoy it for the generic rom-com that it is, but there's just so many fire and water puns early on in this movie and I only laughed a few times. The movie certainly had heart, but it was extremely predictable. I did grow to really like the characters though, so there's that, but the story was just nothing special.

It's in the bottom half of any Pixar list I would do. I expect more out of Pixar, but this was still enjoyable enough I guess.

Saw Elemental today. This is potentially them most visually stunning movie Pixar has ever done. Unfortunately the script isn't on the same level. The movie took about 35 minutes before I actually started to get into it so if I waited for streaming i'll be honest, i'm not sure if I would have watched the whole thing.

Once the move got to the Lauv song at around that 35 minute mark, I really started to enjoy it for the generic rom-com that it is, but there's just so many fire and water puns early on in this movie and I only laughed a few times. The movie certainly had heart, but it was extremely predictable. I did grow to really like the characters though, so there's that, but the story was just nothing special.

It's in the bottom half of any Pixar list I would do. I expect more out of Pixar, but this was still enjoyable enough I guess.
Some online have pointed out.....that we've seen this story many timers from Pixar and Disney recently with "generations" as the villains.

I think this film does it not as well, and I did not care for the romance....so I agree the film looks amazing but story wise it's just not that compelling.

Also if people (from what I hear on here) are going to tear Zootipia open for its algories then this film will be in the same boat.

Some online have pointed out.....that we've seen this story many timers from Pixar and Disney recently with "generations" as the villains.

I think this film does it not as well, and I did not care for the romance....so I agree the film looks amazing but story wise it's just not that compelling.

Also if people (from what I hear on here) are going to tear Zootipia open for its algories then this film will be in the same boat.
Onward does this basic story very well, just through brotherhood and imo, Onward was much better and far more comedic.