Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The success of this overlay will depend entirely on which songs they pick.

If they're not going to stick to songs exclusively from the 1970s/1980s, and assuming they can license them, then I think "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee, "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms, and "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love would be incredible choices.

Baby Please Come Home would be great for the ending. I'm just waiting for them to add Last Christmas to make everyone angry lol

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
For the Holiday overlay (again assuming only pre-1990's songs) I posit:

"Step into Christmas" by Elton John
"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by the Jackson Five (remixed)
"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" by Bruce Springsteen
"Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano
"Run Run Rudolph" by Chuck Berry

Unlikely but I'd love it:
"Heat Miser/Snow Miser"

Chaos:
Just the Alto part from "All I Want for Christmas Is You"

I'm just waiting for them to add Last Christmas to make everyone angry lol

If you wanna' make people angry, Wonderful Christmastime is right there. Along with a plethora of bad Christmas songs out there.

Either way, a lot of you mentioned some really good choices here. Though the question is are they gonna' go for them? By all accounts this is gonna' be one mash-up song. While I don't know if that complicates negotiating the rights of multiple songs, but it feels like the easiest (and cheaper) route would be to just use a bunch of public domain Christmas songs. Stuff like Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, Up on the House Top, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, O Christmas Tree etc. Personally, I hope they don't go that route since it's the most boring choice (no matter how much they amp up the songs.), but we'll wait and see.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
If you wanna' make people angry, Wonderful Christmastime is right there. Along with a plethora of bad Christmas songs out there.

Either way, a lot of you mentioned some really good choices here. Though the question is are they gonna' go for them? By all accounts this is gonna' be one mash-up song. While I don't know if that complicates negotiating the rights of multiple songs, but it feels like the easiest (and cheaper) route would be to just use a bunch of public domain Christmas songs. Stuff like Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, Up on the House Top, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, O Christmas Tree etc. Personally, I hope they don't go that route since it's the most boring choice (no matter how much they amp up the songs.), but we'll wait and see.
This is the company that deemed the title song of Hoop Dee Do was too expensive to keep paying royalties on, so anything is possible...

Apparently the holiday overlay features just one song (no randomization)... and it's an original creation/mash-up/new performance, not a "classic" Christmas song.

Watched a video of the new song and...hrmmm. After watching the Guardians Holiday Special which has a really nice selection of songs in it, it's really baffling that Disney went with a mash-up involving nothing from that special.

Put under spoiler just in case, but in all honesty, I don't think it needs it.

It's essentially a couple short electric guitar covers of public domain Christmas songs (I heard Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls, if there's more I couldn't hear it in the video), intermixed with a Parody of "Run Run Ruldolph" that is "Run Run Rocket". It all sounds very 2000's Disney Channel, and it's just kind of there.

As for the rest of the ride, there's zero changes to the visuals, effects and dialogue. This is not a Monsters After Dark situation where everything is changed to fit the overlay.

Considering how good the Guardian's rides can be with music, this feels like a legit whiff.

Watched a video of the new song and...hrmmm. After watching the Guardians Holiday Special which has a really nice selection of songs in it, it's really baffling that Disney went with a mash-up involving nothing from that special.

It's essentially a couple short electric guitar covers of public domain Christmas songs (I heard Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls, if there's more I couldn't hear it in the video), intermixed with a Parody of "Run Run Ruldolph" that is "Run Run Rocket". It all sounds very 2000's Disney Channel, and it's just kind of there.

As for the rest of the ride, there's zero changes to the visuals, effects and dialogue. This is not a Monsters After Dark situation where everything is changed to fit the overlay.

Considering how good the Guardian's rides can be with music, this feels like a legit whiff.
Disappointing. Considering they waited basically until the Holiday Special dropped for this change, you'd think there'd be some connective tissue in the song choices. There's already widespread backlash against the soundtrack so I wonder if we'll see a change in songs to be more in line with the special next year.

Reactions: Tobias
Disappointing. Considering they waited basically until the Holiday Special dropped for this change, you'd think there'd be some connective tissue in the song choices. There's already widespread backlash against the soundtrack so I wonder if we'll see a change in songs to be more in line with the special next year.

Yeah, I'm noticing several comments on how this song just adds nothing to the experience, and in fact it actually takes you out of it since the rest of the ride is carrying on like normal. If they were to improve this next year or so, give it a far better selection of songs and change up the ride to make it fit. Considering they give zero word on what the Elemental wants to prevent/erase, have him claim he doesn't want anyone to have a Holiday, there's your reason!

This is the company that deemed the title song of Hoop Dee Do was too expensive to keep paying royalties on, so anything is possible...
They’ve been doing a lot of that lately. They also removed the Hans Zimmer score from pirates on both coasts and replaced it with an unbranded knockoff meant to sound similar but without the royalties. The right music can make or break the experience, and a couple of royalty payments are well worth it if you ask me.

Reactions: GAcoaster

I assumed this was so they didn’t have people losing their minds when they didn’t get EVERY “new holiday song” before the end of the overlay. One special song=no vlogger stress.

They’ve been doing a lot of that lately. They also removed the Hans Zimmer score from pirates on both coasts and replaced it with an unbranded knockoff meant to sound similar but without the royalties. The right music can make or break the experience, and a couple of royalty payments are well worth it if you ask me.
This is pretty unacceptable, jeez

Missed opportunity to not have some well-known songs/performances in this overlay.

They also removed the Hans Zimmer score from pirates on both coasts and replaced it with an unbranded knockoff meant to sound similar but without the royalties.

Not to derail the thread, but... what happened, again?

I thought the music loops inside POTC had mostly reverted back to what they were before the refurb where Jack Sparrow was added.

Missed opportunity to not have some well-known songs/performances in this overlay.

Not to derail the thread, but... what happened, again?

I thought the music loops inside POTC had mostly reverted back to what they were before the refurb where Jack Sparrow was added.
The cave and some parts of the town have reverted back, but I’m talking about the battle scene here. Before Barbossa was added there was no music here, just a loop of hyper-realistic battle noises and some shouting. After Barbossa was put in some of the battle noises were toned down a bit and the ‘Medallion Calls’ track from the movie was added on full blast. This score really made the scene feel grand and epic after emerging from the cave. After the most recent refurbs on both coasts though they removed the medallion calls and replaced it with an off-brand version that sounds cheap and just barely similar. This was probably so they wouldn’t have to pay royalties to Zimmer. If anything they should just go back to the original version of the scene without music instead of this cheap knock off

The cave and some parts of the town have reverted back, but I’m talking about the battle scene here. Before Barbossa was added there was no music here, just a loop of hyper-realistic battle noises and some shouting. After Barbossa was put in some of the battle noises were toned down a bit and the ‘Medallion Calls’ track from the movie was added on full blast. This score really made the scene feel grand and epic after emerging from the cave. After the most recent refurbs on both coasts though they removed the medallion calls and replaced it with an off-brand version that sounds cheap and just barely similar. This was probably so they wouldn’t have to pay royalties to Zimmer. If anything they should just go back to the original version of the scene without music instead of this cheap knock off

I honestly don't recall hearing any music during the attack scene when I was last on the ride (last year), but I'll take your word for it.

I assumed this was so they didn’t have people losing their minds when they didn’t get EVERY “new holiday song” before the end of the overlay. One special song=no vlogger stress.

The issue isn't the overlay being one song, after all that's what DCA's Monsters After Dark is and that overlay is widely praised. The issue here are the choices made for this song, and the sheer fact they did nothing else to the ride for the overlay, so it really doesn't work at all.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy