Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction? | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy Disney Attraction?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yup, and yup.

Yeah. We haven't argued that they can't do it nationally. :lol: They still can't use Marvel name though, which impacts it very little.

But such a big restriction on a local market seems... Silly to go through with. Not saying they can't ignore it, but just doesn't make sense.
Well a lot of people seem to have the idea that they can't advertise within the 300 mile radius, that any national or multi-state marketing campaign would have to exclude Florida. That is factually not true. They can freely air TV ads, brochures, print media ads, or online ads, in the Orlando/Florida area, as long as the marketing campaign is part of a broader multi-state marketing campaign.

Well a lot of people seem to have the idea that they can't advertise within the 300 mile radius, that any national or multi-state marketing campaign would have to exclude Florida. That is factually not true. They can freely air TV ads, brochures, print media ads, or online ads, in the Orlando/Florida area, as long as the marketing campaign is part of a broader multi-state marketing campaign.

There must be an echo here. :lol:

@SeventyOne pointed all this out at great length.

This means even if WDW builds a StarLord/Gamora ride they can't call it "Marvel," and they can't put up billboards or do local TV buys in Florida. Probably can't invite Good Day Orlando out for a live remote either. Print ads in the Sentinel and other Florida papers definitely out, possibly online ads on those websites out as well. Even brochures/mailings--if targeted to locals (say that 3-day deal), can't mention the new ride at all. That's a lot of restrictions on promotion of a new ride.

Anyone who believed Disney was buying the rights (or more to the point, Universal giving up the rights), was out of there mind.

Everything with this is adding up so far imo. And clearly something is being budgeted for the time being seeing as there were height test balloons. And those balloons make a lot of sense with what @Marni1971 has said, in that the building will be extended and possibly seen from guest view.

And yes, I know test balloons doesn't = Green light.

Oh, I know. But that's what everyone was going crazy about last year was my point.

This definitely is different.

Point remains though, I'm skeptical for a reason.

Forgive my skepticism; but this has been the story since 2009. Every year, there's that ONE BIG RUMOR about Disney finally bringing Marvel into the parks. Yes, this one has the most noise out of all of them, but until it happens... I'll always be in "Camp Nope".

Remember last year? There were sure a lot of people saying Disney was buying the Marvel Rights from Universal, and the Hulk Re-Do was the "sign" that they are making it into something else - thus "proving" the rumor true?

That was fun.

And a variation on the same argument from each of those years still applies, just replace Star Wars (now committed to DHS) with another IP. Why risk using anything potentially covered by the Marvel contract when Big Hero 6, The Incredibles, Tron, Inside Out, Buzz Lightyear, etc. are all free and clear options? Yeah, you'll sell some GotG merch, but could do that far more easily with a dedicated store in CommuniCore. (Just don't put a simulator in the store, and maybe avoid using the words "Marvel," "Action" and "Universe" in the name.)

And a variation on the same argument from each of those years still applies, just replace Star Wars (now committed to DHS) with another IP. Why risk using anything potentially covered by the Marvel contract when Big Hero 6, The Incredibles, Tron, Inside Out, Buzz Lightyear, etc. are all free and clear options? Yeah, you'll sell some GotG merch, but could do that far more easily with a dedicated store in CommuniCore. (Just don't put a simulator in the store, and maybe avoid using the words "Marvel," "Action" and "Universe" in the name.)
Because investors want more Marvel in the parks. It's becoming increasingly rare that a shareholder meeting comes and goes without any mention of Marvel and WDW in the same sentence. Even if Disney thinks that other franchises would be easier, less risky, more efficient, etc, it will never make the shareholders happy.

Because investors want more Marvel in the parks. It's becoming increasingly rare that a shareholder meeting comes and goes without any mention of Marvel and WDW in the same sentence. Even if Disney thinks that other franchises would be easier, less risky, more efficient, etc, it will never make the shareholders happy.
I have been wondering why the fixation specifically on bringing in GotG. Disney has so many other popular IPs to work with. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Chicagoshannon

Meh. They've had the rights to do something at all other parks with the whole library and all they've shown for it is a Meet and Greet and a Star Tours clone.

And when Avengers became an event, they still didn't make any moves.

Meh. They've had the rights to do something at all other parks with the whole library and all they've shown for it is a Meet and Greet and a Star Tours clone.

You think Disney's done with Marvel after the meet and greets and Hong Kong? They haven't even started.

This is something that has always bothered me about the idea of the Marvel rights reverting back to WDW. They've done so little with the IPs that it makes any future possibility look bleak, especially compared to what's currently at MSHI.

You think Disney's done with Marvel after the meet and greets and Hong Kong? They haven't even started.

I didn't say they were done. Just said they've had time to jump in the pool and haven't made any moves. I know there is a Marvel Land rumored for DCA and more things planned for the other parks.

Sheesh, you take an inch of a comment and stretch it into a mile. :lol:

I didn't say they were done. Just said they've had time to jump in the pool and haven't made any moves. I know there is a Marvel Land rumored for DCA and more things planned for the other parks.

Sheesh, you take an inch of a comment and stretch it into a mile. :lol:
No need to take offense. There's been heavy changes in management, by 2020 I expect Marvel to expand enormously. There has previously been bigger fish to fry, now, not so much. Just because they haven't displayed an initiative yet doesn't mean it's not happening.

Last edited:

Marvel is probably one of the most popular IPs there is currently and Disney own the company and all the incredible talent that comes with it and they want to just dip their toes?

Reactions: Mike S
Yup, and yup.
Then the answer is staring us in the face.

National advertising: "come see the Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot's brand new ride"

Local advertising: "come see some of your favorite heroes in Epcot's brand new ride"

If they don't use the actual name in advertising it should work, right? Or am I off base?

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleJ
Then the answer is staring us in the face.

National advertising: "come see the Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot's brand new ride"

Local advertising: "come see some of your favorite heros in Epcot's brand new ride"

If they don't use the actual name in advertising it should work, right? Or am I off base?

This is where social media really comes into it's own. Sure, Disney can't say Guardians of the Galaxy in Orlando but the public can and will.

Reactions: DoubleJ and Mike S
It is the opposite and also the reality of the situation.
Let me make this as crystal clear, as I can. Marvel's current, small, position at Disney is temporary. Far grander developments will be announced soon. This is the result of a new Parks and Resorts chair that has placed Marvel near the top of the to-do list, as well as higher interest fueled by those who "know best". So far, we've only seen Disney, as you said, "dip its toes". Soon, you'll be saying "Man, they're really milking this one aren't they." Mark my words.

Reactions: Scott W.
Let me make this as crystal clear, as I can. Marvel's current, small, position at Disney is temporary. Far grander developments will be announced soon. This is the result of a new Parks and Resorts chair that has placed Marvel near the top of the to-do list, as well as higher interest fueled by those who "know best". So far, we've only seen Disney, as you said, "dip its toes". Soon, you'll be saying "Man, they're really milking this one aren't they." Mark my words.

My worry is that Disney build so slowly and I think Marvel is currently at its peak and has no where to go but down.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right but for the time being it seems like they're being too slow or cautious when they should be going full steam.