Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020 | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween at Universal Orlando 2020

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am curious @Legacy, do you think Universal would like a re-do on their decision not to hold HHN? Knowing what they know now, do you think they would have run the event and been able to do so with limited capacity while still turning a profit? This is perhaps one benefit from running the seasonal event - I’m sure they are coming up with different contingencies on how to successfully run HHN next year with restrictions in place.
I don’t know the metrics and, in this climate, any increase is a success. So, I can’t really say if Universal would or wouldn’t re-do any or everything about it. I can only speculate in the cynical way I always do when considering the business side of this stuff.

I’ll say the initial response was astronomically better than I expected. I think it was even better than what Universal expected, based on how (somewhat) unprepared the were that first weekend.

That said, as surprised as I was by the initial response, I’m equally perplexed by the rapid drop in overall interest. Last weekend, they were roughly 45 minutes all day—with COVID protocols. A holiday weekend should be similar, if not higher. But it wasn’t. Logically, the only reason for such mediocre lines on a holiday is that the majority of people don’t care the houses are there.

Short-term, it was a risk they’ll likely break even on. Would it have been more reasonable only do it on weekends? Or only in October? Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn’t matter now. Like I said, any improvement is a win right now.

Long-term, though, it’s more of a debate. I had been hearing that only Eilish was getting replaced. New (unverified) rumor says they’re replacing Bride and Tooth, too. I don’t think that’s because the fans have seen them. I think it’s because, after a run that is longer than most seasons (because of daily ops), those houses may HAVE to get replaced. (The houses get destroyed throughout their existence, often to a point of general disrepair). If that’s the case, then the investment of this year isn’t just operating costs for middling numbers, it also includes the costs for two replacement houses that maybe didn’t have to get replaced.

It’ll all depend on the person arguing.

It would suck to replace Brides.
...but it’d be ace if we got another Monsters house in its place.
An enhanced meet and greet for Frankenstein’s monster may be on the table, but that would just be a well themed queue/location, not really a “walk through” attraction.

Definitely no haunted houses as far as I know. Maybe roaming characters in the land itself. Maybe.
So you’re saying - and I know y’all might be getting tired of me saying this, it’s just that I love the character - we could have a Gill-man meetable character?

I had been hearing that only Eilish was getting replaced. New (unverified) rumor says they’re replacing Bride and Tooth, too. I don’t think that’s because the fans have seen them. I think it’s because, after a run that is longer than most seasons (because of daily ops), those houses may HAVE to get replaced.
And now I suddenly have to start looking for flights to come down for one day so I don’t miss out on seeing these houses forever. Thanks for the heads up because I was content with not coming down this year thinking they would be returning. Now I’ve got to scramble to see if I can make it.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Long-term, though, it’s more of a debate. I had been hearing that only Eilish was getting replaced. New (unverified) rumor says they’re replacing Bride and Tooth, too. I don’t think that’s because the fans have seen them. I think it’s because, after a run that is longer than most seasons (because of daily ops), those houses may HAVE to get replaced. (The houses get destroyed throughout their existence, often to a point of general disrepair). If that’s the case, then the investment of this year isn’t just operating costs for middling numbers, it also includes the costs for two replacement houses that maybe didn’t have to get replaced.

It’ll all depend on the person arguing.

Ooof, hoping that rumor is just a rumor. I thought both houses were really solid* and it would be a shame if we don't see them in full-HHN form, both have wonderful potential for that. At the same time, I can reluctantly see the reasoning due to the extra wear and tear from daily ops.

* = Even in pandemic mode, I'd rank them higher than my personally ranked lower houses from the past couple years.

I just saw a ‘rumor’ on Twitter by Park Hoppin’ that an employee told him that they are announcing two new houses this/next weekend?

I don't think they need an attendance "bump" when they are at capacity each weekend. They need to spread the crowds out over the whole week. Now as we get closer to Halloween we may see the weekday crowds and wait times for those houses increase. People still want Halloween stuff, it's just not as much in demand when it's daylight and 90+ degrees.

I don't think they need an attendance "bump" when they are at capacity each weekend. They need to spread the crowds out over the whole week. Now as we get closer to Halloween we may see the weekday crowds and wait times for those houses increase. People still want Halloween stuff, it's just not as much in demand when it's daylight and 90+ degrees.
You’re right, they don’t “need” the house bump when they’re hitting capacity. The issue/question is, if they don’t need the bump, do they need the houses?

And while attendance attributed to the houses should increase the closer we get to Halloween, the date is the only changing variable now. Kids are in school. People are working. People still aren’t traveling. It’s still a daytime event. And weather won’t improve that much (it is Florida, after all).

Really, the only reason the question matters is how it relates to more houses. Everything else, it doesn’t matter.

You’re right, they don’t “need” the house bump when they’re hitting capacity. The issue/question is, if they don’t need the bump, do they need the houses?

And while attendance attributed to the houses should increase the closer we get to Halloween, the date is the only changing variable now. Kids are in school. People are working. People still aren’t traveling. It’s still a daytime event. And weather won’t improve that much (it is Florida, after all).

Really, the only reason the question matters is how it relates to more houses. Everything else, it doesn’t matter.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason why they would open another house would be to spread out crowds.
I'm not sure if I follow?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason why they would open another house would be to spread out crowds.
I'm not sure if I follow?
It would make sense the men in black area are very congested on Saturday and Sunday when I went. And pretty sure legacy mentioned casting for a third house that is a tent