Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not feeling excited about any of the mazes being speculated right now, and the further we get from the ones that have been announced, the more annoyed I am that they’re just a bunch of repeats and do-overs. Ghostbusters and more original mazes just don’t feel in the spirit of this event, at least as I know it. (Been going since 2015.) Don’t let me down HHN

Reactions: marip123 and DTH
Not feeling excited about any of the mazes being speculated right now, and the further we get from the ones that have been announced, the more annoyed I am that they’re just a bunch of repeats and do-overs. Ghostbusters and more original mazes just don’t feel in the spirit of this event, at least as I know it. (Been going since 2015.) Don’t let me down HHN
The only maze left on the speculated lineup that is a repeat/do-over is HOTC, everything else has never been to HHN Hollywood.

And you're aware the Murdy era of HHN started off with only originals right.

The only maze left on the speculated lineup that is a repeat/do-over is HOTC, everything else has never been to HHN Hollywood.

And you're aware the Murdy era of HHN started off with only originals right.
I didn’t make that distinction though. I said everything that’s being speculated (repeat or non-repeat) is stuff I wouldn’t be excited about, and I am getting less excited about what’s been announced so far. Also, I can only speak to my personal experience, like I mentioned. I wasn’t going back when he started but I don’t see how that cheapens my response to the announcements so far.

I was really expecting this community to be friendlier, btw. Didn’t know it was so elitist here :|

I’m really excited for Orlando’s House of 1000 Corpses maze but for whatever reason Hollywood’s is probably towards the bottom of my anticipation list based on the spec. Waterworld hasn’t let me down yet but I really hope they include Devil’s Rejects in the maze so it doesn’t end up like Saw did(in feeling so repetitive).

I didn’t make that distinction though. I said everything that’s being speculated (repeat or non-repeat) is stuff I wouldn’t be excited about, and I am getting less excited about what’s been announced so far. Also, I can only speak to my personal experience, like I mentioned. I wasn’t going back when he started but I don’t see how that cheapens my response to the announcements so far.

I was really expecting this community to be friendlier, btw. Didn’t know it was so elitist here :|
You literally said more original mazes don't feel in the spirit of the event, and I'm pointing out to you that that makes no sense, how the hell does that make me elitist.

I'm sorry if you feel that way. Online text can be hard to decipher, so don't take someone's disagreements personally. A community is full of different personalities, some are more "matter of fact" in the discourse. Don't let it dissuade you.

I'm not too bothered by HoTC returning. It was my favorite maze in 2010 and given that if, based on speculation, it's coming, especially in the Water World queue, obviously the design and layout is gonna be different from how it was constructed within the T-2 3D queue. Not to mention that this version won't be in 3D, allowing it to be a bit more faithful in design to the film, as someone mentioned earlier! Plus hearing Sid Haig's voice throughout the maze as Captain Spaulding will be a nostalgic throwback to the early days of HHN's return.

Reactions: hhnlover

HHN started with Originals. I understand you only been going since 2015 but the event isn’t just IPs(even tho. Hollywood has only had IPs for a while). Orlando’s HHN has Originals and are high rated. I agree with you on GB but who knows HHN usually makes stuff scary, so let’s give it a chance.:shrug: As far as Originals they usually are better then IPs since Uni. has more room to create and you don’t know what to expect unlike an IP.:thumbsup:

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
HHN started with Originals. I understand you only been going since 2015 but the event isn’t just IPs(even tho. Hollywood has only had IPs for a while). Orlando’s HHN has Originals and are high rated. I agree with you on GB but who knows HHN usually makes stuff scary, so let’s give it a chance.:shrug: As far as Originals they usually are better then IPs since Uni. has more room to create and you don’t know what to expect unlike an IP.:thumbsup:
Plus sometimes IPs can surprise you. In the past I've always talked about IPs that, at first, I was either annoyed or upset were coming to the event (e.g. Insidious, Dracula Untold, Krampus), only to later be blown away by how well they were executed as mazes. And as many people on this forum can testify to, just because long-awaited IPs make it to the event, the execution can end up ruining the mazes (lest we not forget 2013...).

Reactions: Kichkinet85
I appreciate your measured and friendly rebuttal, foodstampsFTW seems to be confusing me for somebody who pissed in his breakfast cereal :look:

My favorite thing about coming to HHN has really been the immersive sensation of walking through these notable films and shows, and enjoying all the craftsmanship and attention to detail. I am not at all opposed to original mazes—I’ve been going to and really enjoying Knotts for just as long, and I also loved the Haunted Hayride when I went 2015-2017 (didn’t make it last year.)

For me, HHN offers a different experience that’s directly tied to cinema and television, plus the fact that it takes place at Universal, a theme park that is all about enjoying the immersive aspects of cinema and television. Sorry if that offends the HHN veterans but that’s just how I feel. I will stay optimistic and keep an open mind and remember how much I loved ST/UM/HiH last year, even if the more I think about it, the more I wish we had some brand new things to be excited about.

Was that okay foodstampsFTW?

Plus sometimes IPs can surprise you. In the past I've always talked about IPs that, at first, I was either annoyed or upset were coming to the event (e.g. Insidious, Dracula Untold, Krampus), only to later be blown away by how well they were executed as mazes. And as many people on this forum can testify to, just because long-awaited IPs make it to the event, the execution can end up ruining the mazes (lest we not forget 2013...).
I hear you but also it’s weird, I feel like I have been genuine fan of most everything they’ve done, I mean I don’t love the Purge movies or Saw but I think they make good mazes. I think I was one of like, six people who loved Krampus, the film and the maze :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kichkinet85
I appreciate your measured and friendly rebuttal, foodstampsFTW seems to be confusing me for somebody who pissed in his breakfast cereal :look:

My favorite thing about coming to HHN has really been the immersive sensation of walking through these notable films and shows, and enjoying all the craftsmanship and attention to detail. I am not at all opposed to original mazes—I’ve been going to and really enjoying Knotts for just as long, and I also loved the Haunted Hayride when I went 2015-2017 (didn’t make it last year.)

For me, HHN offers a different experience that’s directly tied to cinema and television, plus the fact that it takes place at Universal, a theme park that is all about enjoying the immersive aspects of cinema and television. Sorry if that offends the HHN veterans but that’s just how I feel. I will stay optimistic and keep an open mind and remember how much I loved ST/UM/HiH last year, even if the more I think about it, the more I wish we had some brand new things to be excited about.

Was that okay foodstampsFTW?
For someone who was expecting a friendly and not elitist community, you seem to be very toxic towards others with differing opinions, on an Internet forum no less. All I was doing was responding to your posts about why your disappointed with the rumored lineup because I disagree with your reasoning.

Reactions: Dr. Herbert West

For me, HHN offers a different experience that’s directly tied to cinema and television, plus the fact that it takes place at Universal, a theme park that is all about enjoying the immersive aspects of cinema and television.

I can understand where you're coming from. As someone who's been going to Hollywood's HHN every year since 2007, I've seen variations of all sorts at the event. The type of IPs they obtain, different maze locations, the way scareactors conduct their scares, scare zone executions, new methods of scaring guests, etc. And I definitely don't think you're the only one on here who can get frustrated with maze decisions, whether it be repeats of IPs or having originals. It's just unfortunately we've gotten to that point that various IPs that are in high demand are unable to be brought to Hollywood's event for various reasons. It's like we're hitting a metaphorical wall in some ways. Given that you're a newcomer, I suspect you haven't read the past several year's speculation threads for the event, meaning you're probably not aware of rumors or even IPs that seemed like a sure thing end up not coming (issues with the IP owners, rumors getting out of hand, etc..). But if there's one thing I've learned all these years at the event, it's that Murdy tries his best when he can have more control over various aspects. Obviously he has to deal with annoying intrusions from higher-ups or complications with IP owners when creating the attractions, but I think that even with the original mazes, he does his best to add that flare to them that definitely feels like an HHN-exclusive experience.

Reactions: viking_wizard_eyes
I can understand where you're coming from. As someone who's been going to Hollywood's HHN every year since 2007, I've seen variations of all sorts at the event. The type of IPs they obtain, different maze locations, the way scareactors conduct their scares, scare zone executions, new methods of scaring guests, etc. And I definitely don't think you're the only one on here who can get frustrated with maze decisions, whether it be repeats of IPs or having originals. It's just unfortunately we've gotten to that point that various IPs that are in high demand are unable to be brought to Hollywood's event for various reasons. It's like we're hitting a metaphorical wall in some ways. Given that you're a newcomer, I suspect you haven't read the past several year's speculation threads for the event, meaning you're probably not aware of rumors or even IPs that seemed like a sure thing end up not coming (issues with the IP owners, rumors getting out of hand, etc..). But if there's one thing I've learned all these years at the event, it's that Murdy tries his best when he can have more control over various aspects. Obviously he has to deal with annoying intrusions from higher-ups or complications with IP owners when creating the attractions, but I think that even with the original mazes, he does his best to add that flare to them that definitely feels like an HHN-exclusive experience.
For sure, I feel like things are definitely hitting a wall a little bit, which is partly where my frustration lies. These studios and rights-holders are getting so stingy with their IPs, it’s disheartening that we might not see many more third-party classics like Shining or Exorcist get the royal HHN/Murdy treatment. But you guys have inspired me to not get all sullen about stuff, gotta trust the creative team and keep these other business-related stuff in mind. I’m sure this HHN will be great, like it always is. At least HiH was maybe my favorite scare zone since I’ve been going, a whole maze should cool.

For someone who was expecting a friendly and not elitist community, you seem to be very toxic towards others with differing opinions, on an Internet forum no less. All I was doing was responding to your posts about why your disappointed with the rumored lineup because I disagree with your reasoning.
First you misrepresented what I said in what felt like an effort to be argumentative, and then said “you are aware that Murdy started HHN with originals right?” which was a snotty, snide and yes elitist thing to say after I clearly said I have only been going since 2015 and therefor would not have that direct knowledge.

This is probably going to be the last time I address a post of yours, so unless you plan on being cordial, you can spare yourself the effort of typing a response to this. In the meantime, kindly get over yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall I'm not too surprised to see a few returning properties, it seems like odd years tend to be more attempting to build up the budget so bringing back a few big names and putting a new story to them is a good way to save up for the even years. The main examples of this I can think of being 2015 and 2017, but its all up to interpretation i suppose

This is probably going to be the last time I address a post of yours, so unless you plan on being cordial, you can spare yourself the effort of typing a response to this. In the meantime, kindly get over yourself
I don’t understand how you can write things like this and then complain about me being a snobby asshat.

I'd rather see an original Rob Zombie maze. Or even a Halloween maze based off his films. I have literally zero desire for HOTC to return. I'd rather Jason, Leatherface, or Freddy come back, at least there's more in those wells that we haven't seen. HOTC has been draaaained. No 3D wouldn't even change it that much, it was mainly the Murder Ride walls and one (of many) of the scalping scenes that I can remember having any effect.

Now, if it's an original "HOTC maze" based on the Three From Hell (Otis, Baby, Spaulding) then I'm more on board. Or a random prequel/sequel that doesn't exist, ala TCM: Blood Brothers.

Reactions: Guygas
I'd rather see an original Rob Zombie maze. Or even a Halloween maze based off his films. I have literally zero desire for HOTC to return. I'd rather Jason, Leatherface, or Freddy come back, at least there's more in those wells that we haven't seen. HOTC has been draaaained. No 3D wouldn't even change it that much, it was mainly the Murder Ride walls and one (of many) of the scalping scenes that I can remember having any effect.

Now, if it's an original "HOTC maze" based on the Three From Hell (Otis, Baby, Spaulding) then I'm more on board. Or a random prequel/sequel that doesn't exist, ala TCM: Blood Brothers.
I could see the Murder ride being made to be more "film accurate" instead of creative liberties taken to make the 3D work. I'm expecting this to be a "reboot" like Halloween '15 and Saw '17 were. Similar, but with some differences. If it is coming, I'm very "meh" as I'm burned out on seeing it twice....and that was many years ago since I last saw it.

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
I could see the Murder ride being made to be more "film accurate" instead of creative liberties taken to make the 3D work. I'm expecting this to be a "reboot" like Halloween '15 and Saw '17 were. Similar, but with some differences. If it is coming, I'm very "meh" as I'm burned out on seeing it twice....and that was many years ago since I last saw it.

I mentioned this at the Orlando thread, but remember that we were speccing Evil Dead 2 in 2017, and we ended up getting AvED. It's probably a similar scenario here: we're getting word of one property, but it's only adjacent to what we're actually getting.

Then again, I think there are reasons for House of a Thousand Corpses to come; it was one of the first houses to come after hiatus, so there's a sentimental reason, and the first movie was based on the HHN house and produced by Universals, while all the others were distributed by Lionsgate.

Lionsgate has collabed with HHN before on Saw, AvED, and My Bloody Valentine, but from what I could tell, they always seemed like the "problem child" production company, IE forcing HHN to use MBV if they wanted Saw and forcing Evil Dead 2 to get retooled into AvED. Might as well use the one they own a part of, take advantage of visibility and don't have to hassle with rights.

Reactions: Clive

A part of me feels it is Creepshow. Also if you were wondering when they pitch something it's locked but they have to pitch the treatment but it sounds like whatever it is (Feeling it's Creepshow and FMWM and Holidayz I feel already probably would have been pitched by now) will be really good.