Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the whole idea of the even/odd theory that each Odd year gets progressively worse and each even year gets progressively better?

I don't know if that theory works anymore with 2018 being far away from 2016 in terms of good quality. And 2019 also being far away from 2017 in terms of bad quality.
No, that's not how the even numbered year theory works at all.
Just simply, even numbered years are great.
Odd numbered years are so-so to just good.
There is no progression in the quality backwards or forwards. 2016 can be better than 2018, and 2010 can be worse than 2008. Few can even think 2019 is better than most even numbered years, but irregardless, an even numbered year will consistently be rated the best/better.
2007 & 2009 are the only exceptions to the theory, so the theory truly starts with 2010 and on.
I created the "theory," so I don't know how it evolved into "progressively better/worse," but that is definitely not the original intention lol

As intended, my only assertion is this:
'11, '13, '15, and '17 are the weaker years of HHNH. '19 is pretty good though.
'10, '12, '14, and '16 (!!!!!) are the better years. '18 is a bit weaker than most of those.

Last edited:
Yeah, the average for that year is skirmished by This Is The End, the beginning of the Jabbawockeez run, Walking Dead as Terror Tram for the third time, a remake of a Halloween maze that paled in comparison to it's '09 counterpart, a virtually unchanged AVP repeat, and a lukewarm Crimson Peak. Insidious and the Walking Dead maze are very stand out, however.

Yeah, the average for that year is skirmished by This Is The End, the beginning of the Jabbawockeez run, Walking Dead as Terror Tram for the third time, a remake of a Halloween maze that paled in comparison to it's '09 counterpart, a virtually unchanged AVP repeat, and a lukewarm Crimson Peak. Insidious and the Walking Dead maze are very stand out, however.
Potentially controversial opinion but I actually think I preferred the 2015 Halloween despite the crappy hedges and inexplicable black walls, but I'm also the type of person that prioritizes movie accuracy probably a bit too highly, and the 2009 one was just really lacking in that regard for me, but that could be said about a lot of mazes in the early years, probably since most of the time they didn't know if they'd ever get another shot at the property so they threw together different movies and original concepts a little haphazardly based on what they wanted to show.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Purge was terror tram for 2015 not walking dead.

That’s exactly how I felt about 2018/2019.
2016/2017 are the peak years of the 2010s. I know 2017 is an unpopular take but yea that’s what I’m rollin with.
I don't think 2017 was all that bad, but I'm legitimately curious what about that year makes you say it was among the peak of the 2010s.

Purge was terror tram for 2015 not walking dead.
Whoops, you're right. Then yeah, EVEN WORSE. That Purge tram was freakin' awful, I'd say as bad as 2017's tram, which is NEARLY as bad as Scream4YourLife.

2019 had a really strong lineup of houses, but I’d be lying if I said the large crowds and long lines didn’t affect my enjoyment of that year.

Also 2017 was easily the worst year of HHN, don’t even try to entertain anything otherwise.
Operations for 2019 were definitely a drag, but with Us, Creepshow, Killer Klownz, Holidayz and UCM2 (plus I know I'm the ONLY one who liked Stranger Things 2), 2019 was solid enough. I wish Ghostbusters and Pandora's Box really brought it, then that year would've made it among the greats, even with a lackluster HOTC, that many great mazes back-to-back would've been divine. Getting the FFP for this year was the right move, especially since I don't think I ever did every single maze in a single night out of any of the times I went until after Halloween.

As for 2017... yeesh. Saw, AvED, Blumhouse Vol 1 were allllllll TERRIIIIBLEEEEE. Insidious was good but it was the worst of the trilogy of mazes. Only Titans, Roanoke and Shining made that year at all bearable. That's a year I would've been PISSED if I got a FFP.

Whoops, you're right. Then yeah, EVEN WORSE. That Purge tram was freakin' awful, I'd say as bad as 2017's tram, which is NEARLY as bad as Scream4YourLife.

Operations for 2019 were definitely a drag, but with Us, Creepshow, Killer Klownz, Holidayz and UCM2 (plus I know I'm the ONLY one who liked Stranger Things 2), 2019 was solid enough. I wish Ghostbusters and Pandora's Box really brought it, then that year would've made it among the greats, even with a lackluster HOTC, that many great mazes back-to-back would've been divine. Getting the FFP for this year was the right move, especially since I don't think I ever did every single maze in a single night out of any of the times I went until after Halloween.

As for 2017... yeesh. Saw, AvED, Blumhouse Vol 1 were allllllll TERRIIIIBLEEEEE. Insidious was good but it was the worst of the trilogy of mazes. Only Titans, Roanoke and Shining made that year at all bearable. That's a year I would've been PISSED if I got a FFP.
2017 was actually the first year I ever bothered with an FFP lol, all previous years I just bought 2 regular tickets. I think if anything that made me like the mazes more since I was able to go through them so much more than I would have in 2 trips.

Didn't much care for 2017 with the exception of AHS and Urban Inferno. Thought the year was awful. With Blumhouse, Insidious, and AVED all being embarrassingly bad. Shining and Saw being bad. And Titans having a super strong Opening with Freddy but then losing focus on scenes for the story with Jason and Leatherface. Tram was terrible.

2018 was fine. Poltergeist was probably my favorite of the year. With Monsters being good albeit overrated. Zones were great though that's what kept the year to being okay. Rest of the mazes ranged from okay - Why. Tram was fine. A lot reused but somewhat fun.

2019 was also fine. Scare Zones were honestly not great with All Hallow's Evil being a B- at best (And being the best zone). Us was good, FMTW was great and better than Monsters, and Klowns was the best maze of the year and almost perfect (If not for the black walls breaking the flow of the maze). Didn't much care for the rest where they ranged from Okay - again Why.

2017 was the turning point for the event towards worse quality. Hope someday we can go back to 2016 quality but that doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
Was I the only one that thought 2019 was amazing?
I enjoyed it.

Its hard for me to judge because I had the season pass and went like 4 times...vs other years I just went once.
I have very good memories of last year but it also had the advantage of me just getting there on time and staying for 2-3 hours and then I just left and came back to do more mazes and never waited over 40 mins.

This is all subjective but 2019 is tied with 2014 for me as my second favorite year. The only maze I truly disliked was Stranger Things and the quality of the scare zones was close to pitiful. However everything else was very solid. The Throwback Thursday’s and lack of terror tram made the event feel kind of refreshing and overall I felt it was definitely better than 2018 which I thought was decent.

As for 2020, I have a huge gut feeling HHN is gonna be on the same caliber as 2017. But if it is I won’t be too mad. HHN is like pizza, even as it’s worst it’s still pretty damn good and I’ll take another 2017-level event over no event at all

Reactions: DTH
2019 was by far my favorite(non 2016 year). Us was a perfect house IMO and I felt like the rest of them were solid. Ho1C disappointed me since Orlando’s & Hollywood’s old mazes were really good, and Pandora’s lacked in sets but had tons of scares. 2018 was good too but it got dragged down for me because Orlando had such a perfect year that year.

2017 was just disappointing. Great lineup, bad execution sans AHS & Shining(IMO). I think 2017 & 2020 will have a lot in common in terms of budget slashes, but I think 2020 will benefit from less mazes & more opportunities to reuse.

The more I think about it the less I’m worried about the mazes. Invisible Man can borrow heavily from the Blumhouse & generic house set mazes, Brides can borrow from the other Universal mazes, and Hill House will likely reuse from Crimson Peak & Insidious. TCM is a flat out repeat maze, & Billie + Beetlejuice will likely have simple sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.