Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m not a fan of silly houses but I understand why this IP would be coming. The first version was creative and solid to me.

What do y’all think about an Insidious 5 house?

Genuinely--I consider Insidious (and it's gonna sound incredibly stupid) an Original; because I will never watch the films xD.

Bad childhood memories from Darth Maul arse looking demons to make me stupidly stay away.

I've said it before but my main gripe is it adds to the babyfication of an event that used to be the spot in SoCal for actually getting scared. Now it molds houses to cater to an audience that isn't necessarily there to get scared but just be in a walkthrough attraction, but I blame Stranger Things for this more than GB (strictly speaking about Hollywood).

Reactions: DTH
I remember I went through GB the first weekend and then returned with my friends a couple weeks later. They were all PISSED we waited even 15 minutes for it. You could read the disappointment on their faces and all I could do was shrug and say sorry. Even my friend who was TERRIFIED and cried after every single maze thought that maze was the lamest thing he had ever been in. They were like, "if you knew it was that bad, why didn't we just skip it?" I basically said, "I wanted to see if it got better and if I told you just how bad it was, I honestly don't think you'd believe me." I think a lot of bad mazes have some merit to them -- something like Ash vs. Evil Dead, or like a random repeat of Saw or House of 1000 Corpses. Even the First Purge I can be like, "hey, they tried." But a bad comedy house? Irredeemable. I consider GB and This is The End to be the worst of the worst.

I've spilled a lot of ink over this and could easily write a novel, but the short version is that people's beloved 80s horror comedies overwhelmingly make bad houses, but because the films are so sacred and revered and the fans view them with such rose tinted glasses that they continue to be featured at the event. There's this constant clamor of, "The next one will be better!" but they never are. Now, this is tied in part to the concept that book report houses are rarely good, but it's still a valid criticism on its own.

If you like the houses, awesome! I'm not trying to take that away from you. It's simply fair to say that if you read the reviews and sentiment from the threads from year to year of most of these kind of houses, it's almost always the same theme: "That was certainly one of the houses of the year."

I didn’t hate it but thought it was nothing special. I was super excited for this maze because… well I was a Ghostbusters fan and this was something interesting for HHN to do. It’s what made the 2019 lineup special for me.

After? It was alright enough for me. Some scenes were all right, although Orlando looked way better from what I saw. The scares were “eh” and the rest was just eye-candy as a fan which I appreciated. Enjoyed it a lot nonetheless, but ended up like KKFOS the most.

If GB ever comes back, I’d be… conflicted. I always felt like that maze was at best a one time thing.

Sometimes I wish they did an Original IP with GB with that unused script of them going to hell.

I've spilled a lot of ink over this and could easily write a novel, but the short version is that people's beloved 80s horror comedies overwhelmingly make bad houses, but because the films are so sacred and revered and the fans view them with such rose tinted glasses that they continue to be featured at the event. There's this constant clamor of, "The next one will be better!" but they never are. Now, this is tied in part to the concept that book report houses are rarely good, but it's still a valid criticism on its own.

If you like the houses, awesome! I'm not trying to take that away from you. It's simply fair to say that if you read the reviews and sentiment from the threads from year to year of most of these kind of houses, it's almost always the same theme: "That was certainly one of the houses of the year."

I agree there are a bit of rose-tinted views, but I don't think they've also been overwhelmingly viewed as outright bad houses either.

I remember I went through GB the first weekend and then returned with my friends a couple weeks later. They were all PISSED we waited even 15 minutes for it. You could read the disappointment on their faces and all I could do was shrug and say sorry. Even my friend who was TERRIFIED and cried after every single maze thought that maze was the lamest thing he had ever been in. They were like, "if you knew it was that bad, why didn't we just skip it?" I basically said, "I wanted to see if it got better and if I told you just how bad it was, I honestly don't think you'd believe me." I think a lot of bad mazes have some merit to them -- something like Ash vs. Evil Dead, or like a random repeat of Saw or House of 1000 Corpses. Even the First Purge I can be like, "hey, they tried." But a bad comedy house? Irredeemable. I consider GB and This is The End to be the worst of the worst.
To each their own, but I never thought I'd see anyone put Ghostbusters and This is the End as tied for worst of the worst.

Am I the only one that find very few of the mazes scary, outside of the jump/trigger scares.

GB was a fun maze and one of my favorites from that year.

I find it funny that the first Egon "jumpscare" in Ghostbuster got my friend so good XD, it was such a dumb reaction and it made the night for me. She never gone to HHN before so seeing someone actually be scared in all these houses was great all night.

Am I the only one that find very few of the mazes scary, outside of the jump/trigger scares.

maybe a suprise scare or 2 nowadeez days, but from being 11 year old to now 20, you get desensitised. Now its more for the vibes.
Tho I am one of those weirdos who people watch and like seeing others get scared for realz Es. (Hope to scareact one day )

Last edited:
I don't get scared in the mazes - I just enjoy the show - but I still have a preference for more straight horror mazes (e.g. Halloween, Evil Dead Rise, Universal Monsters), rather than the lighter fare like Ghostbusters or This is the End (still a lot of fun, but if I had to choose).

Is it just me, or does really definitive speculation on what mazes are coming seem quite light this (either way, spec season is fun)?

Reactions: chris.g

While for sure there are good jump scares here or there

For the most part no, I used to be my first year or two have this extra little fear but...by this point in my life. I've done HHN, Knotts and Six Flags on years by myself....so once you can alone I feel it's hard to ever recapture that

I do however live HHN, because I like or love most of the IPs they choose and it's like walking through a attraction.

I just hope USH keeps shows around, that's what's been missing for a while....I'm sorry but the mask people while cool for Vegas just in no way ever felt like they matched the theme...so loved last years event show wise and very excited to get a season pass for it this year so I can see the shows they have more then once...I reallllly loved the Blumhouse exhibit, was the highlight of my night

Reactions: TableYe and chris.g
@Jerroddragon good point, please never ever bring back Jabberwokeez. They had nothing to do with Halloween, horror, or in my opinion - entertainment either.

The water-Purge show was much better, and the Blumhouse/M3gan show was a cool little diversion. It's a shame we're too PC now for a satirical show, and I have to admit the Rocky Horror show that I saw the first year I went in 2009 was top quality (and I'm not into Rocky Horror).

I know I’m being bias here as I’m a fairly big Ghostbusters fan, but I really enjoyed the houses on both coasts. Ironically the Ray jump scare in the Orlando’s house gave me the biggest scare of the whole event that year because I literally did not expect that…like at all!

Ghostbusters certainly wasn’t house of the year in Hollywood, but to lump it into the slams category as This is the End is kinda melodramatic. I remember the House of Horrors overlays always being the worst houses by default but TitE was so colossally awful, it was worse than any of those overlays. I’ve seen awful and Ghostbusters was not awful. It was fun at worst, a couple of good jumps at best.

I don’t mind an IP like GB or ST to appeal to the masses, but I do want the event to stick to its roots at being a gritty event, which what last year felt like.