Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

It seemed like at around midnight all of the scare actors around the the DM/Rockit area disappeared, any reason this might be?
It could have been a shift change, but they've moved many actors away from the area for safety due to the high crowd levels.

Anyone notice what time they keep the Will Call windows open the nights of HHN? Reason I ask I cause we will be rolling into town Thursday night between 10-11pm and my buddy has to pick up his AP and will be heading to City Walk once we get there so if WC is still open might as well grab it so he doesn't have to wait in the line when we go to the park in the morning.

All these crowds are making me nervous for next weekend. Yikes.

Us too! We'll be there Thursday & Saturday. After seeing the sell-out for last weekend, I called & added our Express Passes for Sat. She said they sold out that morning & I didn't want to not have it for at least one night. We normally just get them there.

when you are basically required to purchase an express pass, or a stay and scream pass just so you can do more then half of the houses there is a serious problem with capacity. The sad part is that there is nothing universal has to do about it. As long as the crowds keep coming, and the express passes get sold out, then there is little reason for them to make changes. The fact that the express pass costs more then the actual ticket price is genuine proof that Universal is screwing over the average consumer.

It really sucks to be honest.

The sad part is that there is nothing universal has to do about it.

They have everything to do about it. They could add more houses, they could open IOA...they could do more, they just choose not to.

But you're absolutely right...it sucks. Guests should never have to buy express just to experience half the event. It's ridiculous and Universal should be doing something.

when you are basically required to purchase an express pass, or a stay and scream pass just so you can do more then half of the houses there is a serious problem with capacity. The sad part is that there is nothing universal has to do about it. As long as the crowds keep coming, and the express passes get sold out, then there is little reason for them to make changes. The fact that the express pass costs more then the actual ticket price is genuine proof that Universal is screwing over the average consumer.

But yet they, basicly, give express away with the passes.

oh I agree there is something they can DO about it, they just won't as long as the money comes in. I think a "Double Park" Halloween Horror nights should be the norm. Especially after Potter 2.0 opens. I went to HHN the first year they had it in both parks, and it was a huge hit. Not sure why they can't do that again.

More houses, IOA, or rides, will not ensure you can do everything in one night and will just add to capacity.
The more houses the more watered down, and shorter, they will be.

But yet they, basicly, give express away with the passes.

How do they "give it away"? There are certain nights the express pass costs $99.00. The only reason it was affordable enough for me was because of the Florida Residents deal. I still paid $100+ per ticket...without the FL resident discount it would have been $150 a ticket..and Im going on a "off peak night"

The cost for a non resident to go on a peak night with express is $200 a ticket! That's crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

well if adding houses/rides won't help, then the only thing Universal can really do is lower the amount of capacity..which I really doubt they would ever do.

More houses, IOA, or rides, will not ensure you can do everything in one night and will just add to capacity.
The more houses the more watered down, and shorter, they will be.

It may ensure you won't see everything, but wait times wouldn't be ridiculous. And that's the point...add to capacity. HHN has clearly outgrown itself and the event needs to expand to meet the needs of the insane crowds. I don't think crowds would grow if IOA were to open.

Also, saying that the houses would be watered down is simply the wrong way of looking at it. Universal could hire more employees to create houses and they could easily spring more tents.

They do have to do something about it because they are leaving money on the table. When everyone is in 100+ minute lines, they are not buying things. Like Disney, Universal wants you out of lines and eating, drinking, and buying because that's where they make their money. I think the hesitation with the 2 park idea is that the most natural transition goes through a land that is not allowed to participate in Seuss, and the next land is Marvel (and who knows where that stands?) Changes have to be made for next year or else I won't go. To wait in those lines only to be rushed through houses and miss scares is not what I paid for.

How do they "give it away"? There are certain nights the express pass costs $99.00. The only reason it was affordable enough for me was because of the Florida Residents deal. I still paid $100+ per ticket...without the FL resident discount it would have been $150 a ticket..and Im going on a "off peak night"

The cost for a non resident to go on a peak night with express is $200 a ticket! That's crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

well if adding houses/rides won't help, then the only thing Universal can really do is lower the amount of capacity..which I really doubt they would ever do.

Yeah, they certainly don't give anything away at this event. I'm glad I only paid $60. Personally, I think if you pay full price, you're getting screwed, especially now with the crowd issues. Express is doubly screwing you.

Coming from someone who only goes once a year I find it absolutely necessary to buy an express pass to see everything (rides excluded) I hate rushing through the event. Unfortunately many can not go back and I don't have the luxury that I have at HOS to say 'oh it will be back next year'. We either need to see some house overlap (returners) with an added 9th house or expand into IOA.

I will give this year some slack though, it had two things that added to the crowds #1 All the stinkin IP's #2 The removal of JAWS and the loss of a house. Once Transformers opens and Potter is done I can see the event relaxing a bit with crowds..I find it somewhat unfair that the event can only be fully experienced for an up-charge, but at the same time it is also a very smart move, and it's not like people aren't coming to the event, I think this year has shown us that.

My memory sometimes is a little foggy but hasn't HHN always been a overly crowded event year in and year out? I could swear I have seen some of these long lines in years past whether it was in one park or both parks and even before express was even around. Im also only going by Friday and Saturday nights since I never have been on a weekday night and have tried to go earlier in the event but that hasn't always been the case either.

They do have to do something about it because they are leaving money on the table. When everyone is in 100+ minute lines, they are not buying things. Like Disney, Universal wants you out of lines and eating, drinking, and buying because that's where they make their money. I think the hesitation with the 2 park idea is that the most natural transition goes through a land that is not allowed to participate in Seuss, and the next land is Marvel (and who knows where that stands?) Changes have to be made for next year or else I won't go. To wait in those lines only to be rushed through houses and miss scares is not what I paid for.

Well last night there was a line within the lines of people buying drinks in those little drink stands. And I talked to one of those nurse chicks who sells the blood bags, they have been sold out of those for a while now. They had little Halloween buckets filled with tiny jello shots going for $5.50. Even the express people had a drink stand, which the line for Gothic seemed to be about half an hour, at least that's how long I we waited after catching up to them.

Oh and by the way I loved the roaming hordes instead of scare zones. They got me a few times just cause I didn't expect them to come up behind me. In scare zones I knew they were around me. And I could sit in a building and hear both guys and girls screaming every few seconds. Some guy stared at me from across the park area just licking his fingers :look:.

My memory sometimes is a little foggy but hasn't HHN always been a overly crowded event year in and year out? I could swear I have seen some of these long lines in years past whether it was in one park or both parks and even before express was even around. Im also only going by Friday and Saturday nights since I never have been on a weekday night and have tried to go earlier in the event but that hasn't always been the case either.

It wasn't always so popular. I went in 1998 and 2000, and I don't remember crowds being THAT bad. Of course that was a long time ago, When I went in 2004 it was packed.

- - - Updated - - -

ROF & FFP... how many nights for an extra $100?

- - - Updated - - -

It may ensure you won't see everything, but wait times wouldn't be ridiculous. And that's the point...add to capacity. HHN has clearly outgrown itself and the event needs to expand to meet the needs of the insane crowds. I don't think crowds would grow if IOA were to open.

Also, saying that the houses would be watered down is simply the wrong way of looking at it. Universal could hire more employees to create houses and they could easily spring more tents.

How many employees do they loose due to the hours and days they have to work for a part time job...

Last night was pretty ridiculous, but my boyfriend and I did get to enjoy all the various Lagoon shows and we legitimately got scared once in Sting Alley. The warrior legion was in Streets of New York, and two members were in the alleyway; one lured people in, and another literally got on the floor and crawled out from a dark corner very rapidly. It was very tactical, and was on par with a house scare. The Walkers were also doing really well, as well as the vampires over by Central Park.

Going again Wednesday to fully complete my review!

How many employees do they lose due to the hours and days they have to work for a part time job...

Haha, an insane amount...I think Universal could handle it though.

However, I was talking more in terms of creative members though to create higher quality houses.