Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Has anyone on here actually said they think FFP will go away all together? Because I don't think that is what anyone thinks.

I think some variation on multi-night passes will remain on the table. Prior to this year, I thought it would resemble FFP, just more expensive, and possibly with minor tweeks (say, Fridays and Sundays swapped out as premium night). I'm not as certain of that anymore.

I mean, theoretically, you could buy 25 one-night tickets and it would have the same effect as a FFP. But I wouldn't feel right calling it that. I fear we may be headed for a model where sure, you could get in the same number of nights as before, but the price point is so much higher that as a practical matter, we can say the traditional FFP has been retired.

Reactions: Clive
Also, everyone remember that at a certain point, crowds actually begin to hurt revenue. The single-night guest who sees only two houses? Not inclined to buy that t-shirt, not inclined to come back next year, and likely to be all over social media saying, "don't go, it's too crowded this year." Happy guests spend more money.

Of course the year I FINALLY move to Orlando and watch it be the first year FFP gets a complete overhaul...

Is it really a done deal? I could see the online reaction turning into a major poop-storm. Even tho, if you pressed me, I'd admit it's probably a fairer price that will do a decent amount to alleviate overcrowding.

Is it really a done deal? I could see the online reaction turning into a major poop-storm. Even tho, if you pressed me, I'd admit it's probably a fairer price that will do a decent amount to alleviate overcrowding.

Honestly, as I've said in the past, I think doubling the price would do enough to scare off enough and not hurt business in any discernible way

Yeah with the addition of Sapphire Falls and the restrictions of current construction coupled with record numbers the last 2 years. It leads me to think we will see a major change in not only HHN offerings and ticketing but the entertainment offerings as a whole going forward. Major changes are coming imo so be prepared to dig deeper into that wallet.

I think some variation on multi-night passes will remain on the table. Prior to this year, I thought it would resemble FFP, just more expensive, and possibly with minor tweeks (say, Fridays and Sundays swapped out as premium night). I'm not as certain of that anymore.

I mean, theoretically, you could buy 25 one-night tickets and it would have the same effect as a FFP. But I wouldn't feel right calling it that. I fear we may be headed for a model where sure, you could get in the same number of nights as before, but the price point is so much higher that as a practical matter, we can say the traditional FFP has been retired.
The impression I've gotten is that they want to add a pass that includes Saturdays, basically a no block out FFP.

Honestly, as I've said in the past, I think doubling the price would do enough to scare off enough and not hurt business in any discernible way
I think doubling it would create a reduction in revenue. I do think we'll see a little more than a $10 bump this year, I'm thinking possibly $20 more than last year and probably a bigger increase for express.

Also, everyone remember that at a certain point, crowds actually begin to hurt revenue. The single-night guest who sees only two houses? Not inclined to buy that t-shirt, not inclined to come back next year, and likely to be all over social media saying, "don't go, it's too crowded this year." Happy guests spend more money.
Crowds also help sell express passes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think doubling it would create a reduction in revenue. I do think we'll see a little more than a $10 bomb this year, I'm thinking possibly $20 more than last year and probably a bigger increase for express.

$20 is barely an increase. FFP and ROF have been so undervalued for the past 4-5 years that it needs to be way more than that.

$20 is barely an increase. FFP and ROF have been so undervalued for the past 4-5 years that it needs to be way more than that.
I agree but that's exactly what Universal wants. The goal here is to get people to go as many nights as possible. As they said in the conference call HHN is driving increases in attendance and per capita spending. HHN just isn't the type of event that makes it's money from ticket sales.

I agree but that's exactly what Universal wants. The goal here is to get people to go as many nights as possible. As they said in the conference call HHN is driving increases in attendance and per capita spending. HHN just isn't the type of event that makes it's money from ticket sales.

Are the people that pay pennies for their passes the ones upping that per capita spending? If Universal is looking to significantly change the FFP structure, clearly they're not.

Are the people that pay pennies for their passes the ones upping that per capita spending? If Universal is looking to significantly change the FFP structure, clearly they're not.
There's no reason to believe that Universal is looking to significantly change the FFP structure. One thing to also consider is it seems Universal wants the FFP to serve as the 2 night pass so that guests are encouraged to go more nights. At a certain price point the FFP isn't worth it for 2 nights.

There's no reason to believe that Universal is looking to significantly change the FFP structure. One thing to also consider is it seems Universal wants the FFP to serve as the 2 night pass so that guests are encouraged to go more nights. At a certain price point the FFP isn't worth it for 2 nights.

If they conduct a survey suggesting a very different multi-day pass with many fewer days for roughly the ballpark cost of a FFP, I don't think it's a huge leap of logic to suggest the FFP would be discontinued under that plan. Obviously nothing set in stone, nor will it be until August or so--the results of the survey may be so bad they back away--but clearly it's on the table at some corporate level.

There is ABSOLUTE reason to believe they would change the FFP structure because it is tremendously cheap. If you don't view it as such you are clearly a local and don't realize how good you have it / spoiled you are.

The Halloween / Haunted Attraction industry is TREMENDOUSLY large and people drop a lot of cash. Just look at local haunts, most of which are quite poop, and the fact they can charge $20 for a 15 min subpar experience.

You can get nights upon nights upon nights of HHN (w express, too) for chump change. Meanwhile, there are others, who can, will, and do spend hundreds of dollars for one night - not to mention, travel across the Nation / The Pond.

They can and should increase the price.

If they conduct a survey suggesting a very different multi-day pass with many fewer days for roughly the ballpark cost of a FFP, I don't think it's a huge leap of logic to suggest the FFP would be discontinued under that plan. Obviously nothing set in stone, nor will it be until August or so--the results of the survey may be so bad they back away--but clearly it's on the table at some corporate level.
They do this exact survey every single year. If we're to take anything from this it would be that their ticket strategy so far is playing out the same as past years.

Reactions: *Q*
There is ABSOLUTE reason to believe they would change the FFP structure because it is tremendously cheap. If you don't view it as such you are clearly a local and don't realize how good you have it / spoiled you are.

The Halloween / Haunted Attraction industry is TREMENDOUSLY large and people drop a lot of cash. Just look at local haunts, most of which are quite poop, and the fact they can charge $20 for a 15 min subpar experience.

You can get nights upon nights upon nights of HHN (w express, too) for chump change. Meanwhile, there are others, who can, will, and do spend hundreds of dollars for one night - not to mention, travel across the Nation / The Pond.

They can and should increase the price.
I never said I didn't realize and appreciate the great deal that FFP is. The reality is HHN is different from just a regular haunt attraction. They make a very large portion of their money from food and beverage sales. No other haunt could sell a multi day pass and make money every time somone returns to visit.

I never said I didn't realize and appreciate the great deal that FFP is. The reality is HHN is different from just a regular haunt attraction. They make a very large portion of their money from food and beverage sales. No other haunt could sell a multi day pass and make money every time somone returns to visit.

They wouldn't sell a multi-day / multi-visit pass because the people who want to do it again will gladly fork over the money to visit again if they like it so much.

I understand that Food/Beverage sales fuels this event and that its vital - but it's best to maximize profits at every chance - starting with the front gate.

They wouldn't sell a multi-day / multi-visit pass because the people who want to do it again will gladly fork over the money to visit again if they like it so much.

I understand that Food/Beverage sales fuels this event and that its vital - but it's best to maximize profits at every chance - starting with the front gate.

Not to mention, especially with the opening of Sapphire, for the guests to stay on site with a package.

Yeah I agree in maximizing ticket profits, I just think they've done this. There's only so much their going to get from that though. There's a point were people aren't going to pay to keep going back to the same event. In my case for example I'm not going to spend more than around $300 for HHN tickets, I on average spend about $25 each night I visit. Right now I would say Universal has maximized how much their going to get from me.

Not to mention, especially with the opening of Sapphire, for the guests to stay on site with a package.
I've never really paid attention to the packages offered. Do they include any kind of multi day HHN ticket, or is it hotel only and then you buy FFP?