Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 80 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sorry but if she allowed the company to put her face on all the commercials, promotional material and did the show every single night last year (knowing how it works), I'm almost positive the actor will return and do a show for the entire event. Not to belittle her because shes incredible and far more talented than most mainstream actors nowadays but she is still technically a local actor. This is a giant break for someone in her shoes and I'm sure she'll take advantage of all of it

Hey I'm Josh, been lurking on this board for a while and been active on a few others but from what I've seen the discussion on this forum is the least ignorant by far so I'm hoping to join in on it this year!

I've been going to the Hollywood horror nights every year since 2007 and I've gone to Orlando horror nights 20, 21, and 24. I'll be making it out again to Orlando this year and can't wait. Hope to do the unmasking the horror tour as well which seems worth it from what I've read.

Everything for this year seems fantastic so far to me except the walking dead (never a fan). Love the idea of chance as the icon.

As for speculation, is the chance house going to be the mega one? Or are we still expecting American horror story?

Reactions: Brian G. and Nico
Like most of you I am quite happy with Chance being the icon this year. The actress who plays her is great and certainly warrants her own show. And because no one has mentioned what I think is "the elephant in the room", she is damn sexy in that outfit!
Yes indeed.

No, I don't think so. If that were the case they could have had anyone play Jack last year and for that matter they didn't need her to play Chance either. I don't see her not returning to reprise her role when it's made into an icon. I mean seriously she plays Chance all these years and they finally put her front and center in the spotlight and you think the actress will be MIA.
Two years. She played Chance in 2007 and last year. And the actress who plays her isn't Jennifer Lawrence. Very few people would be able to select her out of a line-up without the make-up. Which, oh yeah, can be put on anyone. And the park wasn't torn down last year when she wasn't Chance on stage, because the only people who'd even notice (or care) are people who watched the show multiple times. Which are the fans.

It's a theme park show. People don't lose their minds that Captain America isn't Chris Evans or that Lucille Ball isn't ACTUALLY Lucy and Jack Sparrow isn't Johnny Depp. They didn't need her to return (I originally thought it was a different actress) because it had been 8 years since her last appearance. They just did, because she was interested and available. She may have been fantastic, but the vast majority of people won't remember the performance. Just the sense of the show. Because that's how performance works.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Two years. She played Chance in 2007 and last year. And the actress who plays her isn't Jennifer Lawrence. Very few people would be able to select her out of a line-up without the make-up. Which, oh yeah, can be put on anyone. And the park wasn't torn down last year when she wasn't Chance on stage, because the only people who'd even notice (or care) are people who watched the show multiple times. Which are the fans.

It's a theme park show. People don't lose their minds that Captain America isn't Chris Evans or that Lucille Ball isn't ACTUALLY Lucy and Jack Sparrow isn't Johnny Depp. They didn't need her to return (I originally thought it was a different actress) because it had been 8 years since her last appearance. They just did, because she was interested and available. She may have been fantastic, but the vast majority of people won't remember the performance. Just the sense of the show. Because that's how performance works.

I think that's really diminishing how much of a highlight that actress was in the show last year. Chance was obviously popular enough that they decided to have the event revolve around her this year, and I think her popularity is almost entirely due to the energy that particular actress put into the character. There were occasionally times when it was a different actress and it just wasn't the same at all. Just like on occasions when Jack wasn't played by James Keaton. It's still fun, but the other actors don't OWN the character the way he does.

I think that's really diminishing how much of a highlight that actress was in the show last year. Chance was obviously popular enough that they decided to have the event revolve around her this year, and I think her popularity is almost entirely due to the energy that particular actress put into the character. There were occasionally times when it was a different actress and it just wasn't the same at all. Just like on occasions when Jack wasn't played by James Keaton. It's still fun, but the other actors don't OWN the character the way he does.
Maybe I am, but you have to remember who the average HHN attendee is. There are people who have only attended HHN with Jack and Chance performing who don't know who they are. Thousands of people still think Jack is Pennywise (and that his name is actually IT) and Chance is Harley. And those people outnumber the fans who do know soundly. And they don't care who plays who.

A show doesn't HAVE to happen. The woman who plays Chance doesn't HAVE to be there. Jack's actor is the only one who has repeatedly appeared in character in the park multiple years. Chance has done it twice. There's no guarantee she wants to keep doing it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 48
Maybe I am, but you have to remember who the average HHN attendee is. There are people who have only attended HHN with Jack and Chance performing who don't know who they are. Thousands of people still think Jack is Pennywise (and that his name is actually IT) and Chance is Harley. And those people outnumber the fans who do know soundly. And they don't care who plays who.

A show doesn't HAVE to happen. The woman who plays Chance doesn't HAVE to be there. Jack's actor is the only one who has repeatedly appeared in character in the park multiple years. Chance has done it twice. There's no guarantee she wants to keep doing it.
I don't disagree that they could get away with other actors. In fact as you said they don't need to do a show at all, and they didn't need to do a show with Jack last year and even if they did it didn't need to be the original actor. In fact they could have just used the cartoon version of the icon and left it at that nothing more on all the promotional material with no show or house or anything. I don't argue that what your saying isn't possible. If you choose to believe that she won't be at the event you are certainly free to believe that. I'm however looking at this from a realistic perspective they didn't plan to have Chance as an icon just to leave the actress out of the event, this is just basic common sense. I'm 100% sure she will be there. I'm looking forward to seeing her there. If you want to come back in 3 months and say I told you so feel free, good luck with that.

They might not be consciously aware of who the specific characters are or the specific actors and actresses, but will absolutely be aware of if they had a good time or not. I'll make an educated guess that the extensive surveys they do at the park exit showed high ratings for the Carnage Returns with a fair number of specific comments about Chance, and the ratings probably averaged higher when the main actress was playing Chance. The process for deciding the creative direction of HHN each year isn't just pulled out of thin air, they'll have data and numbers that support their decisions. The idea that they wouldn't lock down the actress primarily responsible for the character's success for an event featuring her is completely illogical.

I'm going to guess we have the logo in the center and the posters of houses are decorated like posters in a theater. It'd be really nice if they could put red curtains on the arch.

I hope we get a better Arch this year too. It's been really bad the past couple of years. To me, the Arch should get a lot of attention. It sets the mood for the evening. It makes guest think "Man, if the outside looks good the whole park must be even better!" Also, it draws people over that might just be visiting Citywalk for the evening to see what is going on. Posters in a frame doesn't scream scary or creative. Something more along the lines of HHN 17 is what I am looking for. Lights, structures and overall look that sets the theme for the event.

Reactions: snayberry
Hey I'm Josh, been lurking on this board for a while and been active on a few others but from what I've seen the discussion on this forum is the least ignorant by far so I'm hoping to join in on it this year!

I've been going to the Hollywood horror nights every year since 2007 and I've gone to Orlando horror nights 20, 21, and 24. I'll be making it out again to Orlando this year and can't wait. Hope to do the unmasking the horror tour as well which seems worth it from what I've read.

Everything for this year seems fantastic so far to me except the walking dead (never a fan). Love the idea of chance as the icon.

As for speculation, is the chance house going to be the mega one? Or are we still expecting American horror story?

First off, Welcome! Thanks for joining!

As far as Mega-house, I know it won't be Chance's house - but still unsure which house the Mega will be at this point.

The idea that they wouldn't lock down the actress primarily responsible for the character's success for an event featuring her is completely illogical.
It's completely logical to not have the media icon be featured in the park because they've done exactly that with four other icons. Jack and Luck the exceptions. The marketing of the event, even in the aughts when it was aligned, is still it's own separate thing. The actress can film the commercial, do the press photos and then quit her job tomorrow and Universal could still use Chance. She may own the performance, but she doesn't own the character.

Again, she's a person with her own stuff going on. She's not a monkey the fans (or even Universal) can demand to be in a show if she doesn't want to or isn't available to do. She's an extremely talented actor who can obviously get more work for herself than playing a killer clown. Just because the fans demand it, that doesn't mean she has to do anything for them.

If a show happens, great. If it's her, even better. But the vast majority of people don't care that the guy on stage playing Jack is the same as the guy in the commercial. As long as they see the "icon" (in a house, zone, or show) it doesn't matter.

It's completely logical to not have the media icon be featured in the park because they've done exactly that with four other icons. Jack and Luck the exceptions. The marketing of the event, even in the aughts when it was aligned, is still it's own separate thing. The actress can film the commercial, do the press photos and then quit her job tomorrow and Universal could still use Chance. She may own the performance, but she doesn't own the character.

Again, she's a person with her own stuff going on. She's not a monkey the fans (or even Universal) can demand to be in a show if she doesn't want to or isn't available to do. She's an extremely talented actor who can obviously get more work for herself than playing a killer clown. Just because the fans demand it, that doesn't mean she has to do anything for them.

If a show happens, great. If it's her, even better. But the vast majority of people don't care that the guy on stage playing Jack is the same as the guy in the commercial. As long as they see the "icon" (in a house, zone, or show) it doesn't matter.

I agree with most of what you mention, but I think you are underestimating the general public. The actors that play Jack and Chance bring a certain quality to the roles. From their body language to the way they speak, they have created very unique personalities for these characters far exceeding what can be written down on paper to describe them. Can other people play these characters? SURE! Can these other people give fans the same reaction the "real" actors do? Not so much. I saw the "other" Chance on the stage show last year and it just felt so off. She wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't like the same Chance they portray in the commercial. The show lacked in energy because of this.

I am glad they are using the same actress for the media and marketing. She is outstanding. I also don't want her stuck in the street's because she is so much better than a street actor. I never expected her to be in the house either. Anybody without a major movement/speaking role can put on the makeup and look like Chance. However, if they are going to put her on the stage and do a full show, they need to try their hardest to secure the same actress that is being used all over the news, billboards and websites to promote the event. I would rather not have a stage show with a different actress than to have an actress that doesn't bring the same personality to the role just based on what happened to Chance last year when the "real" actress was busy.

It hasn't been much of an issue in the past because these Icons never got a stage show. Like I said, anybody can put on the makeup and look them like. But to ACT for 20-30 minutes like the character on a big stage is a whole different animal. While not nearly as big as a real movie, what your basically saying as that "anybody can do it" and that's not true. Sure, anybody can put on the Iron Man suit and LOOK like Iron Man but if they only used Robert Downey Jr. to promote a new Iron Man movie and then switched it to a look a like for the real thing, 95% of the general public would notice because Robert Downey has brought his own unique personality to the role that's hard to mimic.

I get what your saying, but I think your looking at it backwards. There's a lot of planning that goes into HHN, they don't just haphazardly throw this event together and wait to see if the actors they need will be available. For example I'm sure when they started planning HHN25 they talked with James Keaton and made sure he would be available for the event. I'm sure the same is true here. They certainly will have a back up actor in case something unexpected comes up, but they didn't go into this without her being available. If she wasn't available I have no doubt they would have gone in a different direction with an icon choice.

Last edited:
To me, I have to imagine that they aren't just having Erin for Media Purposes. She is a very good piece of Talent that has been seen countless times in Horror Nights past. And especially looking at last year; she was insanely popular as Chance and even if James wasn't around all the time, it seemed that she was there for quite a bit of shows during the span of the event. But; with Erin becoming the Icon, that may change a bit so Universal's operations can handle her for Media events and whatnot.

To me, I see Hollywood functioning much like last year; but in a different manner. There are mini-shows throughout the area at the barges they create, but it would be more themed possibly to what she did to the other inmates, driving those mad and showing how they kill certain "Guards" as it leads to her show; much like how "Icons - HHN" was from last year. But in all honesty, I think we will all get a pretty good guess to if she will have a show when they start doing auditions for the two shows (Bill & Ted and the other one) hopefully sooner rather than later.

I get what your saying, but I think your looking at it backwards. There's a lot of planning that goes into HHN, they don't just haphazardly throw this event together and wait to see if the actors they need will be available. For example I'm sure when they started planning HHN25 they talked with James Keaton and made sure he would be available for the event. I'm sure the same is true here. They certainly will have a back up actor in case something unexpected comes up, but they didn't go into this without her being available. If she wasn't available I have no doubt they would have gone in a different direction with an icon choice.
That's predicted on if they do a show featuring her. Fans are basically saying there has to be a show featuring Chance when there actually doesn't. Your implication also seems to be that they wouldn't feature Chance if the actor isn't available when it's completely feasible. The real Chance doesn't have to be at the event at all. She doesn't even have to be in a show featuring her. They could do a Cirque style show with Chance on a screen narrating.

And the argument about a noticeable difference between performers only applies to those with a frame of reference, who are, again, the fans who see the shows multiple times. There can be a difference in energy in performances, but that can happen with the same actor every night.

I'll never get to see Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton, a role he wrote and created. And he'll win a Tony for it. So I can complain that it's not him in the role when I finally see it, but I still won't have a frame of reference for the caliber of his performance. Someone who watches a HHN show once, similarly, doesn't know the difference. HHN is for THEM, predominantly. The fans who watch the shows multiple times are just cherry.