Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - News & Info (2021)

FYI some may get surveys from Uni regarding your HHN experience (just got mine).

Not sure how much stock they really put into regarding responses, but feel free to express your feelings on the event good or bad.

Ehhh, if they wanted to, they could fill up a chainsaw horde overnight (or a zone somewhere back there). There's A LOT of scareactors from years past that haven't even heard back yet from their audition. Slowly, some are getting hired here and there, but there's A LOT that didn't get hired this year.

It's very possible (probably likely) that I'm wrong, but wasn't the chainsaw drill team made up of the "Fire Crew" on stand by to fill in wherever needed in the event of people calling in sick from the houses/zones? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that years ago. In "regular" years, that might be a set amount of people based on historical averages so they could be confident in having enough people to staff the "unofficial zone". This year, with the 1000lbs gorilla in the room looming over the event, maybe they don't have that luxury of having a reliable amount of scareactors available each night.

Could they hire 30 more people to staff two shifts for the zone? Of course, but adding 30 people to the payroll of what is arguably a reduced capacity year (international travel restrictions and people wary of heading to Covid Town, USA from other states) while already trying to earn back "lost money" from last year is a hard sell. And if they are having issues filling concessions and the like, plus Howl O Scream opening right down the block "cannibalizing" talent, is there REALLY that large of a talent pool looking to do it for the entire run?

EDIT to add that sounded confrontational and I didn't intended that at all, was pretty much debating with myself if I remembered the cast correctly and wondering if there were that many people looking for seasonal employment until 2am when the parks are having trouble staffing regular day shifts. I know being an HHN Scareactor is a desired job for many so am honestly curious if there are people waiting for a call to come in.

Last edited:
It's very possible (probably likely) that I'm wrong, but wasn't the chainsaw drill team made up of the "Fire Crew" on stand by to fill in wherever needed in the event of people calling in sick from the houses/zones? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that years ago. In "regular" years, that might be a set amount of people based on historical averages so they could be confident in having enough people to staff the "unofficial zone". This year, with the 1000lbs gorilla in the room looming over the event, maybe they don't have that luxury of having a reliable amount of scareactors available each night.

Could they hire 30 more people to staff two shifts for the zone? Of course, but adding 30 people to the payroll of what is arguably a reduced capacity year (international travel restrictions and people wary of heading to Covid Town, USA from other states) while already trying to earn back "lost money" from last year is a hard sell. And if they are having issues filling concessions and the like, plus Howl O Scream opening right down the block "cannibalizing" talent, is there REALLY that large of a talent pool looking to do it for the entire run?

EDIT to add that sounded confrontational and I didn't intended that at all, was pretty much debating with myself if I remembered the cast correctly and wondering if there were that many people looking for seasonal employment until 2am when the parks are having trouble staffing regular day shifts. I know being an HHN Scareactor is a desired job for many so am honestly curious if there are people waiting for a call to come in.
Nope. I’ve got a friend who has done that zone three times and was hard cast every time. And even if you don’t normally work the zone, they can only fill empty spots with people that are fitness tested (because it’s a chainsaw role). They normally try to get all alternates to fitness test though so they have a wide selection.

even if they added 4 or 5 chainsaw people around Simpsons, it would help, alot
because in previous years when they added extra days and they were short on actors, i remember there was one time when that area had a couple of chainsaws.
dont remember the year, but i remember an extra day having few actors around Simpsons but it still worked

even if they added 4 or 5 chainsaw people around Simpsons, it would help, alot
because in previous years when they added extra days and they were short on actors, i remember there was one time when that area had a couple of chainsaws.
dont remember the year, but i remember an extra day having few actors around Simpsons but it still worked
I miss them too but they’re having HHN this year so stop wishing for more and be grateful for that. After over 600 days without HHN I’m just happy it’s back.

I miss them too but they’re having HHN this year so stop wishing for more and be grateful for that. After over 600 days without HHN I’m just happy it’s back.

I think it’s totally fair not to settle for whatever because “HHN is back” and ask for more. But for me, no chainsaws in Simpsons isn’t a deal breaker and isn’t like when they didn’t do a scare zone in San Fran.

I think it’s totally fair not to settle for whatever because “HHN is back” and ask for more. But for me, no chainsaws in Simpsons isn’t a deal breaker and isn’t like when they didn’t do a scare zone in San Fran.
Yup. They're charging full price (higher than past years technically), so the "be grateful" stuff doesn't really cut it. If it's not a valid safety pre-caution, critiques are completely fair game.

I’m sorry this argument works when it’s cheaper not more expensive. I get the safety precautions but I just don’t understand why that area is completely empty. Maybe it’s because I have gone since the days of the chainsaw drill team, but to me it takes away. Now am I still going, yes.

I’m sorry this argument works when it’s cheaper not more expensive.
The price of the event is higher due to everything being more expensive at this time. I doubt their profit margin is any different than years past. Workers are getting a higher wage, materials needed to put on the event daily cost more. When things get more expensive, expect them to raise prices and possibly remove things to keep them on track for their target margins.

Did we ever get an answer on why they aren't present in Springfield?

Also, I wouldn't be terribly upset if Simpsons went away, especially if it's affecting HHN policy

i hear you but, the event changes throughout the month, we might see some stuff change. things shift around,

but if the Simpsons area is empty because they arent allowed to put anything, then ok

Two small things I’ve noticed this year
1. The “house smell” hasn’t really been there (maybe because they’ve been sitting there for two years)
2. Hearing screaming in the houses has been largely absent compared to past years (except 29)

I heard plenty of screaming on opening night. I had two houses where the party two back from me was screaming every time the lights changed. lol

I agree about the smells. As far as SIFF - it's present in a lot of houses, but it's tied back. I only came across one place where it was actually in front of you and I can't remember which house it was exactly.

having done everything by now. I just realized something about the vinyl sheets

in some places the vinyl sheets are very clear and clean. almost transparent. you barely noticed them. perfect.

but in some places, these vinyl sheets are very faded and like, dirty? kinda foggy, opaque
and someone can tell me "duhh, they got scratched up from actor use or from guests touching them duhhh"
but the event just started and it almost feels like some of these were faded on purpose?

there's one in icons where you can barely see the actor and another one in welcome to scarey where you don't really see the actor. (I think legendary truth too)
there's other places, but I'm just wondering about it. some vinyl sheets let you see the actor clearly but some of them don't let you see the actor that well at all.
it's just weird.
I bring this up because those dirty opaque sheets really hurt the scare.
if all if the sheets are gonnabecome like that from being touched, that's not gonna be good

having done everything by now. I just realized something about the vinyl sheets

in some places the vinyl sheets are very clear and clean. almost transparent. you barely noticed them. perfect.

but in some places, these vinyl sheets are very faded and like, dirty? kinda foggy, opaque
and someone can tell me "duhh, they got scratched up from actor use or from guests touching them duhhh"
but the event just started and it almost feels like some of these were faded on purpose?

there's one in icons where you can barely see the actor and another one in welcome to scarey where you don't really see the actor. (I think legendary truth too)
there's other places, but I'm just wondering about it. some vinyl sheets let you see the actor clearly but some of them don't let you see the actor that well at all.
it's just weird.
I bring this up because those dirty opaque sheets really hurt the scare.
if all if the sheets are gonnabecome like that from being touched, that's not gonna be good

Hopefully all of them continue to look like this and instead of replacing them, they just decide to take them down haha

I thought there were lots of *smells* within the houses, but the houses didn’t smell like the plywood section of Home Depot this year.

FYI some may get surveys from Uni regarding your HHN experience (just got mine).

Not sure how much stock they really put into regarding responses, but feel free to express your feelings on the event good or bad.
Yep. Filled mine out earlier this week. Let them know exactly how our family felt about this year's experience....good and bad.