Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An IP they already own would probably be the only way we could get an IP

After all, they usually lock in around now (if not sooner) with house construction usually starting in the Spring

Therefore, they would already have to be courting outside rights holders during what has been a bad time for the country pandemic wise. I cannot imagine lots of rights holders are going to say “Yes” given where things are at and have been the past few months

In house IPs or original concepts make the most sense. And even then, just because it is in house doesn’t mean they automatically get it (see AWiL) so an original would be a sure thing

Out of curiosity, is there some logical or clue based reason people think we are getting another IP? If I missed something, I would love to know
Basically, the only reason I am speculating an IP is Universal lost their biggest IP to bring people to the event. We are down to 4 IPs (3 if you count Brides as an OG) and I don't see Hill House, Texas, or BJ bringing in crowds honestly. I feel they would want some kind of IP to even everything up even if it is a smaller IP. The argument to be made is nothing is big as Billie so what's the point of even using an IP? The question is basically does universal play it safe with an original or attempt to bring in another property.

Basically, the only reason I am speculating an IP is Universal lost their biggest IP to bring people to the event. We are down to 4 IPs (3 if you count Brides as an OG) and I don't see Hill House, Texas, or BJ bringing in crowds honestly. I feel they would want some kind of IP to even everything up even if it is a smaller IP. The argument to be made is nothing is big as Billie so what's the point of even using an IP? The question is basically does universal play it safe with an original or attempt to bring in another property.

Maybe they're not really trying to find something that will bring people to HHN21 in the first place. We're still in the midst of a global pandemic and who knows what foreign country visitation will look like half a year from now.

HHN21 will likely be fueled by locals and hardcore American fans of the event and that crowd will already be yearning for the event to return in any form. So why spend extra money on a bigger IP when your crowd is already likely going to be restricted?

If I was personally sitting in the room making decisions, I'm not really sure I'd be jumping at the idea of even making sure Eilish has a replacement. You can argue about how the event should never regress but we're in an unprecedented time so save yourself that money instead of spending for a year when you're either going to have another restricted event or, at the very least, your crowd size isn't going to be as unlimited as it's seemed in the past. Maybe funnel some of the money into something more elaborate in the La Bamba location (a mini house maybe?) but spend those funds on the following year when you can (hopefully) go as big and bad as you want.

Out of curiosity, is there some logical or clue based reason people think we are getting another IP? If I missed something, I would love to know

For me, the logical reasoning is two-fold:
1 - Eilish was an IP house. They lost it. So likely, not definitely, they'd replace with another IP.
2 - The history of houses in Shrek. Of the 5 houses that have been there, 4 were straight up IPs (Krampus, Saw, H4, Klowns), and 1 was a morphed/warped original take on an IP (Alice in Wonderland).

Those are the 2 reasons I'd guess an IP over an original to replace Eilish.

Maybe they're not really trying to find something that will bring people to HHN21 in the first place. We're still in the midst of a global pandemic and who knows what foreign country visitation will look like half a year from now.

HHN21 will likely be fueled by locals and hardcore American fans of the event and that crowd will already be yearning for the event to return in any form. So why spend extra money on a bigger IP when your crowd is already likely going to be restricted?

If I was personally sitting in the room making decisions, I'm not really sure I'd be jumping at the idea of even making sure Eilish has a replacement. You can argue about how the event should never regress but we're in an unprecedented time so save yourself that money instead of spending for a year when you're either going to have another restricted event or, at the very least, your crowd size isn't going to be as unlimited as it's seemed in the past. Maybe funnel some of the money into something more elaborate in the La Bamba location (a mini house maybe?) but spend those funds on the following year when you can (hopefully) go as big and bad as you want.
I agree with you to a certain point. Yes we are looking at a Anniversary year to be the big selling point and that it’s mostly for locals. However even if universal can’t have guests from other countries they will still want to bring in people from around this country. The majority of guests who walk through those gates will have no clue who the icons are or what Carey Ohio is. Universal sees guests as money and the more guests the more money. That’s the entire point of the event. All the locals will be hype either way but I truly think if you had a IP that’s more of a reason to come. As a outer stater the only reason I even discovered the event was HHN 17 had Freddy, Jason, and leatherface and that was unreal and I wanted to experience it so bad. Throughout the years I would check each years line up until 28 I saw Klowns as a zone and I just couldn’t miss that so I finally booked a trip. Even the smallest IP has a fan group that could cause people to come. Let’s say Billie becomes Body Collectors or slaughter sinema. As horror night fans we would lose our minds from hype but your average ticket buyers wouldn’t care in the slightest.

This year isn’t a normal year. Basing speculation on the pre-pandemic priorities isn’t the best way to think about things.

In the aughts, Universal cared predominantly about locals, as locals made up about 90% of the guests. Expect it to be like that again.

This year isn’t a normal year. Basing speculation on the pre-pandemic priorities isn’t the best way to think about things.

In the aughts, Universal cared predominantly about locals, as locals made up about 90% of the guests. Expect it to be like that again.

Hence why a while back we've mentioned Uni is in a good spot with the whole postponement, an anniversary year is a great one to reopen with since it's usually big with the locals. People want to return to the things they missed, and icons like Jack can certainly pull that off in marketing.

Hence why a while back we've mentioned Uni is in a good spot with the whole postponement, an anniversary year is a great one to reopen with since it's usually big with the locals. People want to return to the things they missed, and icons like Jack can certainly pull that off in marketing.

A lot of the t-shirts and what not in the tribute store for 30 seemed more like 16 than 25. :up:

Well in that case I’d love to see some more body collectors! Or a Terra house but I think the zone prob cancels that out

Well in that case I’d love to see some more body collectors! Or a Terra house but I think the zone prob cancels that out

They weren't gonna do another full BC house after 25, IMO.

So the houses that are definitely coming if things go according to plan (i.e. pandemic has improved by September):
Beetlejuice--Parade 79
Puppet Theatre--Sprung 1
Wicked Growth--Sprung 2
Carey: Horror in the Heartland--MIB tent
Icons: Captured--SS24B

Billie is scrapped, who knows about Texas, Hill House, Tooth and Bride.

Man, I really hope they keep brides and tooth fairy because technically they have not come to the event and so many people including myself haven’t had a chance to experience it and I feel like after all the praise, that could bring a big turn out. Not like a major IP, but enough for the event to thrive.

That

That was also last year, when we were under the assumption the pandemic would be “over”
I think it's far too early to be 100% sure either way how this year is going to go.

I'm sure, as of now, the resort's plan A is a full fledged HHN event that they can pack full of people. But I'm also sure they have plans B and C ready for if they can't end up doing that. There will be some semblance of HHN this year. My guess would be much more than we saw last year. But I don't think anyone can say 100% at this point that it will be a "normal" year.

Still way too early to tell how scaled back it'll actually be, it's largely going to depend on vaccination timelines and whether new variants that evade these responses pop up. The news today that Moderna (and almost certainly Pfizer) still works against the South Africa variant is very good news for a more normal HHN.

If I were management I'd be strongly considering an expanded event timeframe (similar to MNSSHP) with lower crowds this year to encourage people to spread out their trips somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.