Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean because of the glasses, no, they just "recycle" those in trash bins at the end of the house. They're the cheap cardboard kind, not the nice plastic ones on the rides.

Wonderland worked as well as any house has in that Shrek space, so an interesting, potentially cost-effective thought.But if we're talking cheap houses, if the new team ever wanted a challenge, it would be a remake of "Cold Blind Terror" that actually succeeds in being scary.
This is fair, I had not really thought about it that way. I was thinking more from a guest perception perspective

Then again, as I assume people are still riding the many 3D rides at the park, this seems an unfounded line of thinking

Also, I wasn’t trying to go THAT cheap (haha!). More, what’s cost effective and has proved to be popular in the past?

An Inbetween 2 sort of house seems due.

IDK if we ever have a "normal" HHN again--for better or worse (hey, some changes could be welcome--not being herded through Bride made that house more enjoyable).

45470-1591231144-923308353.jpeg

Doing a deep dive and looking at the 5 houses that have been in Shrek, we had an original first (Wonderland 3D), then 4 straight IPs. The interesting thing, is that the IPs have spanned various decades: Krampus was the 2010s, Saw was the 2000s, Halloween 4 and Killer Klowns were the late-1980s. All of them are known, but non-headline IPs.

So, missing anything from the 1990s or before the 80s. Looking at some 1990s known but non-headline IPs that could be a fit (and not owned by Disney and haven't already been here), I came up with the following:
- Candyman (1992) [yeah, I know, I know LOL!!!]
- Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Urban Legend (1998)

There's not a lot to choose from in that decade that they haven't already done (People Under the Stairs, Dusk Till Dawn). Candyman and Urban Legend would essentially be the same "type" of house (and both built on urban legends) - just swapping a hook for an axe - and maybe too similar to TCM in style. Which keeps bringing me back to Silence of the Lambs which fits the known 90s IP but not headliner that is different from other houses and would fit into a smaller venue like Shrek.

Doing a deep dive and looking at the 5 houses that have been in Shrek, we had an original first (Wonderland 3D), then 4 straight IPs. The interesting thing, is that the IPs have spanned various decades: Krampus was the 2010s, Saw was the 2000s, Halloween 4 and Killer Klowns were the late-1980s. All of them are known, but non-headline IPs.

So, missing anything from the 1990s or before the 80s. Looking at some 1990s known but non-headline IPs that could be a fit (and not owned by Disney and haven't already been here), I came up with the following:
- Candyman (1992) [yeah, I know, I know LOL!!!]
- Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Urban Legend (1998)

There's not a lot to choose from in that decade that they haven't already done (People Under the Stairs, Dusk Till Dawn). Candyman and Urban Legend would essentially be the same "type" of house (and both built on urban legends) - just swapping a hook for an axe - and maybe too similar to TCM in style. Which keeps bringing me back to Silence of the Lambs which fits the known 90s IP but not headliner that is different from other houses and would fit into a smaller venue like Shrek.
As far as the IPs in shrek go
-Krampus was still relatively a new IP just coming out the year prior
-Saw was synergy for Jigsaw releasing and included a room in the end for that film
- Halloween 4 was just there as a excuse to have Micheal Myers for synergy with Halloween 2018
-Klowns was because of the success of the zone the previous year

I think universal just picks IPs and places it where it fits best (smaller houses in tents, Bigger houses in SS and Parade Buildings) houses to big for tents but to small for SS makes shrek the perfect spot

So as I recall the only safer picks we had for SZ's last year were Creepshow and the something related to the Terra Queen?
Terra Queen seems like a safe bet for what would be returning.

Problem with Shrek is the queue space is more limited due to it being in the middle of the park so they don't want to put a maze too popular in there. It's why we always see big IP houses in the Soundstages.
But then again last year/this year was gonna change that up. With the presumably headliners (Beetlejuice, Hill House, and Eilish) not going into the sound stages but with Eilish going into Shrek and BJ and Hill House going into the Parade Buildings.

Is it possible we get gremlins instead of Billie? The first spec map had gremlins in place of Billie if I’m not mistaken. Who says they don’t have the layout already done for that
I wouldn’t expect gremlins and beetlejuice in the same year, especially gremlins in Shrek.
maybe next year with Gremlins as a headliner. I do expect gremlins in the future though.

Figured it would be appropriate to post this here. Blast from the past with The Thing Maze Walkthrough from HHN21.

God damn, this looks good. If only I started going a year [or 10 ; ) ] sooner. Still, no regrets having Gothic as my first HHN house.

So is La Bamba location still in play? Forgot whether that space was being used since Eilish was actually in Shrek.

Reactions: Kadath
@Legacy pointed out that they go after IPs to bring in guests and not necessarily what will make a good house. If that’s the case they could put legit anything in shrek.
While I agree with this in theory, in practice they got IP pushback due to health concerns last year that played a big part in only doing HHN Lite. They would probably try to avoid that this year.

As well, if they are trying to keep a lower budget this year to buy IP rights for a house seems like a poor choice

Especially if that IP holder could get cold feet later

Add to that the fact that they may or may not reduce capacity this year, and it doesn’t seem worth the investment to pay for an IP to me

While I agree with this in theory, in practice they got IP pushback due to health concerns last year that played a big part in only doing HHN Lite. They would probably try to avoid that this year.

As well, if they are trying to keep a lower budget this year to buy IP rights for a house seems like a poor choice

Especially if that IP holder could get cold feet later

Add to that the fact that they may or may not reduce capacity this year, and it doesn’t seem worth the investment to pay for an IP to me
I agree with that but I think by fall hopefully we could be looking a little different pandemic-wise. They could always go and use an IP they already own.

I agree with that but I think by fall hopefully we could be looking a little different pandemic-wise. They could always go and use an IP they already own.
An IP they already own would probably be the only way we could get an IP

After all, they usually lock in around now (if not sooner) with house construction usually starting in the Spring

Therefore, they would already have to be courting outside rights holders during what has been a bad time for the country pandemic wise. I cannot imagine lots of rights holders are going to say “Yes” given where things are at and have been the past few months

In house IPs or original concepts make the most sense. And even then, just because it is in house doesn’t mean they automatically get it (see AWiL) so an original would be a sure thing

Out of curiosity, is there some logical or clue based reason people think we are getting another IP? If I missed something, I would love to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts