Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 160 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’re assuming Tuesday’s announcement would be Monsters? Fine with it, just excited to get the ball rolling and to really get into HHN season

I’m surprised to hear that… thought they would do the big IP first. Especially if Stranger Things is happening. What do I know, obviously the marketing has changed this year.

Reactions: moistowlette1989
Would still be surprised. Usually the first announcement is a big IP that generates excitement . If Netflix is not coming then Halloween or Scream etc. should be the 1st announcement. Even the Weekend would generate interest outside the HHN fan base.

First announcements aren't always the biggest IP, see: American Horror Story.

I am kinda surprised The Weeknd isn't the first announcement, Monsters is usually saved for a low profile reveal. Maybe they're trying a different strategy going forward.

They'll announce the first HHN house in time for Memorial Day which will probably be advertised to guests visiting. Which would sell the event more to this group of guests: The Weeknd or Classic Monsters? I'm voting Classic Monsters.

View attachment 16338

Looks like Soundstage 23 is returning!

Yup.

They'll announce the first HHN house in time for Memorial Day which will probably be advertised to guests visiting. Which would sell the event more to this group of guests: The Weeknd or Classic Monsters? I'm voting Classic Monsters.

I would've still expected something different than Monsters, even if not The Weeknd. Monsters has been at the event for years and isn't a super relevant IP like Walking Dead or Strange Things or anything. It's just a little weird. Maybe a test by marketing to see how big the Monsters brand really is?

I would've still expected something different than Monsters, even if not The Weeknd. Monsters has been at the event for years and isn't a super relevant IP like Walking Dead or Strange Things or anything. It's just a little weird. Maybe a test by marketing to see how big the Monsters brand really is?
The monsters brand is pretty big, as everyone knows who Dracula, The Wolfman, and Frankenstein is. Definitely more so then The Weeknd and arguable more then ST.

Reactions: Darko
Monsters is ubiquitous, sure. But I guess I'm not so sure of their ability to translate that into sales by itself. Everyone knows what Garfield is, but I don't know if I would pay a ticket to an event based off of him the same way I would if it was a property I was genuinely invested in. Monsters has a crowd, I'd argue I'm part of it, but it definitely isn't their biggest card. (Unless it is? :look:)

Monsters is ubiquitous, sure. But I guess I'm not so sure of their ability to translate that into sales by itself. Everyone knows what Garfield is, but I don't know if I would pay a ticket to an event based off of him the same way I would if it was a property I was genuinely invested in. Monsters has a crowd, I'd argue I'm part of it, but it definitely isn't their biggest card. (Unless it is? :look:)
I don’t think they plan to have the first announcement sell anything by itself

Marketing strategies change year to year. They never always announced the “biggest” IP first. So whatever is announced first doesn’t necessarily mean anything other than what they feel is best for business.

Worth pointing out the IP owners may not want to announce their involvement in a haunt event in May. Universal pretty unilaterally controls the Monsters brand and can drop that announcement whenever they want.

As others have mentioned, HHN announcing the "Biggest IP" is not always the case. After all, marketing strategies do change up depending on a whole variety of factors. Now it does make sense to announce a real big IP as the first house for a good international draw, HOWEVER...this is not 2018, 2019 when a ton of international travel was a given. Across the pond things are still a tad Topsy Turvey due to a particular war going on amongst other things. Other places are still under restrictions, the list goes on.

Since international travel is still not a given on bringing in a ton of folks like it has in the past, HHN is probably more content on taking whoever they can get, which is more local/regional guests. And when you look at that group, what IP does HHN have that has been very positively received be it houses, merch etc. And is also being shared between both coasts to make a joint announcement rather simple? The Universal Classic Monsters.

When you look at it from that angle, it makes perfect sense why UCM would be the first announcement here.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT
Status
Not open for further replies.