Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 162 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix backing out doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Just went to Target this weekend and they had an ENTIRE AISLE of Stranger Things stuff, 5 pack Funkos, exclusive black light Funkos, Garbage Pail Kids figures, the button popper/new fidget spinner things, Doritos, foam fingers, mini figures, large figures, cars, mystery boxes, some bus thing that I'm not sure what it was, etc.

They're not afraid of branding...unless it's because the show is dropping both halves before HHN. Having stuff in the on the shelves now now plays off that hype for impulse purchases makes sense, but with HHN, the show will be over by the time the event rolls around and the number of people who go to HHN, discover the show for the first time and aren't already subscribers, and then subscribe and keep renewing monthly after binging a show to never to return has to be next to nill. But still, it's free money...

Unless there's some kind of contract stipulation that having actor likenesses appear in living format/at themeparks/whatever requires additional compensation to the actors and that's money they don't want to spend for a show that is already in the can and the new subscriptions to the service won't be enhanced with that expenditure.

And as others have said, it's not like they're losing money. They turned off a whole country and growth was slower than they expected. Stock took a big hit so the big wig execs with options are hurting, but the company as a whole is fine. With their ad-supported tier allegedly coming by the end of the year that's another revenue stream on the horizon.

imagine if it’s just fear street and were oversimplifying it is stranger things. I mean this year is weird to begin with, also ST was renewed for season 5 so it’s not the final season yet….

or I’m just shooting myself in the foot but my point still stands Netflix or no Netflix ST is popular as it is but people want new stuff at the event although ST is not fatigue as people believe it is. It becomes tiring to some people”For example

Some people would be saying this

like where’s brand new cherry flavor

Like where’s Fear street I really wanted to see the killers and Sam and Deena

or where’s Bly manor

where’s midnight mass this map is disappointing
This year is horrible cancel it

where the f- is army of the dead synder should’ve been here

Do you really think HHN is more popular than Stranger Things?

Not having Stranger Things doesn't hurt the event, but it certainly does promote it beyond HHN/horror fans.
A popularity comparison is apples and oranges.

My point is this: HHN is *the* premier Halloween event that brings in more people than any other Halloween-themed event on earth. Stranger Things, while watched by millions of people, can be easily replaced as the top draw by any number of IPs, including by old movies like Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice as we’ve seen. That’s why I said HHN is the stronger brand, in this context.

My theory (since we’re theorizing)?

The original agreement between Universal and Netflix was for Fear Street. Universal completed all design work and, potentially, started construction. Netflix came late and said “We don’t need to market Fear Street. We’ll cut you a deal and replace Fear Street with Stranger Things.” Universal said, “Pass. We don’t have the time/energy to add such a large scale house to the lineup.” Netflix, annoyed, says “Well, fine… we’ll pull the Fear Street rights. That way you HAVE to use Stranger Things.” Universal, in turned, called their bluff.

My theory (since we’re theorizing)?

The original agreement between Universal and Netflix was for Fear Street. Universal completed all design work and, potentially, started construction. Netflix came late and said “We don’t need to market Fear Street. We’ll cut you a deal and replace Fear Street with Stranger Things.” Universal said, “Pass. We don’t have the time/energy to add such a large scale house to the lineup.” Netflix, annoyed, says “Well, fine… we’ll pull the Fear Street rights. That way you HAVE to use Stranger Things.” Universal, in turned, called their bluff.
If this is true then yikes….

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Netflix backing out doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Just went to Target this weekend and they had an ENTIRE AISLE of Stranger Things stuff, 5 pack Funkos, exclusive black light Funkos, Garbage Pail Kids figures, the button popper/new fidget spinner things, Doritos, foam fingers, mini figures, large figures, cars, mystery boxes, some bus thing that I'm not sure what it was, etc.

They're not afraid of branding...unless it's because the show is dropping both halves before HHN. Having stuff in the on the shelves now now plays off that hype for impulse purchases makes sense, but with HHN, the show will be over by the time the event rolls around and the number of people who go to HHN, discover the show for the first time and aren't already subscribers, and then subscribe and keep renewing monthly after binging a show to never to return has to be next to nill. But still, it's free money...

Unless there's some kind of contract stipulation that having actor likenesses appear in living format/at themeparks/whatever requires additional compensation to the actors and that's money they don't want to spend for a show that is already in the can and the new subscriptions to the service won't be enhanced with that expenditure.

And as others have said, it's not like they're losing money. They turned off a whole country and growth was slower than they expected. Stock took a big hit so the big wig execs with options are hurting, but the company as a whole is fine. With their ad-supported tier allegedly coming by the end of the year that's another revenue stream on the horizon.

This theory is also decently plausible. It will have been quite a few months since ST4 and about a year or more for Fear Street, Bly, etc. Maybe they don't wanna market a product that the majority of people will binge within a week or two of airing months after it's relevant and the marketing train has died down or moved on to the next thing. Billie had (loosely) similar reasoning for being cut, why market a product that will be out of date by the time you're doing it?

I think the reasoning itself is a little silly, but I could picture a reality where it's the case nonetheless. Marketing gonna market. I'm open to other theories of course.

Tomorrow is Funkoween - when Funko unveils a ton of Halloween merchandise (probably including Universal Monsters).

Quite a coincidence for HHN to also make their first reveal (not counting the t-shirt)?

Reactions: shiekra38
Wow, I guess that's on me for not doing my research (or even a quick google search :bonk:).

View attachment 16342

Had no idea Garfield was as big as it is! Sorry for the misinformation yall, I'll try to be more careful in the future.
I appreciate that Monsters is in front of Mickey...well done

As far as Netflix goes I'm not sure how the partnership really is lucrative to either moving forward

Universal appears to be tightening up on it's synergistic strategy and I bet Netflix doesn't really receive any kind of bump just because of HHN

This is different than say HP which is a financial juggernaut for both parties

Also, everything else "horror" on Netflix is kind of a snoozefest that Universal has done and original on at some point and better

Minus Hill House...that was incredible

Reactions: Darko and GA-MBIT

As far as Netflix goes I'm not sure how the partnership really is lucrative to either moving forward

Universal appears to be tightening up on it's synergistic strategy and I bet Netflix doesn't really receive any kind of bump just because of HHN

Also, everything else "horror" on Netflix is kind of a snoozefest that Universal has done and original on at some point and better

May I introduce you to Marianne? That show was genuinely creepy.

For Netflix, it’s less about a subscriber bump than it is the licensing fee that Universal pays them. Universal pays them for the license and (hopefully) more people show up at HHN. If Universal things the cost of the license + house design/construction isn’t worth the number of people the IP will attract, then they won’t use them.

Did everyone just forget the self-touted record crowds for HHN during Stranger Things’s first year? Or the pictures of mobs of people packed on the bridge to Universal Studios at HHN rope drop that year?

It’s absolutely a beneficial partnership to Universal. If something went down, I’d put money on it being a Netflix issue.

Netflix receives the same bump from a house as having an aisle at Target -- an increase in brand awareness, probably even better for HHN because hard-core guests will watch the show just to prepare for the house, and a cut from all the merchandise sold. That's zero risk revenue -- the risk of loss is borne by the t-shirt manufacturer (and to a much lesser extent the retailer, who could've used that shelf space for something else). Zero risk revenue should be very attractive to Netflix. And given the amount of merch I saw last year, an off-year for both the show and the house, the potential gain remains large.

Status
Not open for further replies.