Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going on my list as I did for Hollywood...

- 11 Mazes, yes, I think there is an addition. 40D (Villain-Con), B108-S, B79, SS23 A/B, SS24 A/B, MIB Sprung Tent 1/2, and Near Supercharged
- Jack The Clown and Chance returns, with Bourne or BMG's Venues used for a Stage Show with the two.
- Safe Bet IP: Monsters, Chucky, Fear Street, and Stranger Things
- Small Risk IP: Last Night in Soho
- Risk IP: Squid Game [If Squid Game is not feasible, then Mike Flannigan]
- 5 Original Mazes, with one of them being a repeat of a previous maze
- No Production Central/Plaza of The Stars Scarezone.

I think Jack and Chance being at HHN for another year is highly sensical, due to international guests being able to come to the event properly again. I think it makes a lot of sense that Marketing would want to have a reliable face to head the event, and those two feel like the faces of HHN.

Going on my list as I did for Hollywood...

- 11 Mazes, yes, I think there is an addition. 40D (Villain-Con), B108-S, B79, SS23 A/B, SS24 A/B, MIB Sprung Tent 1/2, and Near Supercharged
- Jack The Clown and Chance returns, with Bourne or BMG's Venues used for a Stage Show with the two.
- Safe Bet IP: Monsters, Chucky, Fear Street, and Stranger Things
- Small Risk IP: Last Night in Soho
- Risk IP: Squid Game [If Squid Game is not feasible, then Mike Flannigan]
- 5 Original Mazes, with one of them being a repeat of a previous maze
- No Production Central/Plaza of The Stars Scarezone.

I think Jack and Chance being at HHN for another year is highly sensical, due to international guests being able to come to the event properly again. I think it makes a lot of sense that Marketing would want to have a reliable face to head the event, and those two feel like the faces of HHN.
I don't see a house near F&F happening unless they use the F&F queue. The only alternative would be to throw up a 4th tent backstage, but the only spot for it is across from a highly trafficked backstage road, especially during HHN. And there's a lot of SA's walking around out of costume back there since that's right near where the backstage cafeteria is.

I think if an 11th house happens, it'll be in BMG. Throw a house up in there and have then since you are going to the BMG side instead of the cluster of sound stages on the other side, there's plenty of room for queueing. Start the queue right next to Despicable Me much like houses in the past have like From Dusk Til Dawn and 25 Years.

Any reason not to speculate towards a potential Chucky zone/house? We got the photo-op this year, the show is on an NBC network, and it's not like it's unexplored territory for HHN by any means.

Good point, that feels like something they'd want to do for the marketing synergy. The new series is getting good reviews, how are the ratings?

Reactions: Tbad556
I don't see a house near F&F happening unless they use the F&F queue. The only alternative would be to throw up a 4th tent backstage, but the only spot for it is across from a highly trafficked backstage road, especially during HHN. And there's a lot of SA's walking around out of costume back there since that's right near where the backstage cafeteria is.

I think if an 11th house happens, it'll be in BMG. Throw a house up in there and have then since you are going to the BMG side instead of the cluster of sound stages on the other side, there's plenty of room for queueing. Start the queue right next to Despicable Me much like houses in the past have like From Dusk Til Dawn and 25 Years.
My thoughts exactly. It baffles me why they didn't already go up to 11 with a 5th soundstage house at the very front.

I'd argue they would rather want to keep BMG for shows, unless if they per say, only use half of the venue. Would love to be proven wrong.

Good point, that feels like something they'd want to do for the marketing synergy. The new series is getting good reviews, how are the ratings?

The premiere ended up generating 4.4 million, even counting a delay. It is USA's highest rated series for a premiere.

Wow geeze yeah I think Chucky will definitely have a house or zone or SOMETHING.

Chucky feels like the most "Safe" IP that anyone can bet on. That, and Monsters.

Merchandise wise it's a monster. And this show keeps getting better and better. I'll be shocked if it gets nothing major for next year. For both Orlando and Hollywood respectively.

First episode had 808k combined on SyFy and USA
Second had 670k combined
Third had 682k combined

Not sure what the average ratings are for those channels, but I feel like this should've been a Peacock show and it should've started in September, instead of playing into November when a lot of people want to watch more holiday themed stuff now.

(To be clear, I got my numbers from live viewing, not the amount that watched it in 7 days as Alex did above)

Last edited:
Okay, here we go!

As I mentioned from the Hollywood thread, I think WB properties aren't gonna happen for 31 as WB is wanting to bring back their Horror Made Here event in Burbank. Don't think we'll see NoES or IT once again.

For the IPs, here's what I think we'll get:
1. Scream: This has been requested way before even Scream 4 came out! I know the rights holders were a big pain to work with, but if I recall correctly, it's been bought out by a new studio. This should make negotiating rights a LOT easier. With a fifth installment coming out in January, I think it's time has come. It's the only major slasher that I know of that's yet to be made a maze.

2. Hellraiser: I know Murdy has preferred a new movie to come out, but it's not gonna happen. Rights were also an issue, but I think this is also owned by the same studio as Scream as well. This has been requested for many, MANY years and if they get Scream, I don't see why not try for this IP to get a "2 for 1" deal. I recall the rumor that they tried this for '19 or '20, but they tried. It should be a lot easier now.

3. Universal Monsters: I don't think Murdy is ready to call it quits on the Monsters yet. I mean, the 19th century England tweet makes it obvious. I also remember seeing on one of the Orlando threads that A&D on HHNO really wants to do more Monsters houses as they still provide a lot of content to work with. I would like to see a house on the Mummy (The OG one), but I think we will see a continuation of the story Murdy has laid out with Bride. I would bet it will focus more on Dracula and his revenge for what Bride has done to his mistresses. They can still reuse the assets from the last Monsters houses.

4. The Thing: The fortieth anniversary of this movie is next year. This is another highly requested IP for HHN. I know Chris Williams has expressed interest in this so I think it will happen.

5. Resident Evil: Also highly requested, release of remaster of 2 was a big hit, and a new movie is coming out. I think Orlando will want to do this again.since it has been almost a decade since they've done it. I went through it! It wasn't scary but there were some cool scenes. I think they will want another go at it. nI could see this being in the sound stage in Hollywood. Only thing is could they afford this.

6. Thirteen Ghosts: Now I see this or Resident Evil happening since it'd be so expensive to pull off. I realize this is kinda out of left field here, but I know Orlando has wanted to do this in the past. I can't think of a "good" reason for them to do this other than a handful of fans requested this and they're running out of IPs to work with being WB is likely out for next year. This is more wishful thinking and I see RE happening more than this for the reasons I have mentioned, but yeah.

As for originals, I have two ideas on what might happen:
1. Screamhouse 3.0/Caretaker house: I know for the RIP tours, there were a lot of references to Albert Cane throughout several of the houses, not to mention his room was the longest in Icons (Fun fact!). Could also be event icon next year? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but....

2. Mesmer-style house: HHNO has picked up an interesting habit recently of copying KSF's content. They did so with Depths and Tooth Fairy. When I ran into Mike Aiello (Awesome guy!) and I told him I was from California, he asked me if I've been to KSF and went through Mesmer. He thought it looked cool, but I can't help but wonder about his interest in that house.

Everything else is anyone's guess. That's my two cents I wanted to get out.

GENERAL EVENT:

• The event stays at USF with 10 Houses. 2021’s attendance was a far cry from pre-pandemic levels, so until massive crowds return, I’m not entertaining the idea of 11+ houses or a two park event.
  • We get an icon, but it’s not someone new. I’m leaning Caretaker at the moment.
  • Food and beverage offerings are expanded again. One of 2021’s biggest strengths was the sheer amount of food offered. More food stands opened throughout the event to meet demand, and I’m expecting the extra capacity to be present on opening night.
  • Zones will remain lackluster. Best to keep expectations low and be surprised with any hits after the past few years of duds.
  • Prices will increase across the board, but Express will go up significantly instead of event tickets. Most if not all sellouts in 2021 were due to Express being oversold rather than the event reaching capacity as evident by Wednesdays being the busiest nights despite no sellouts. I doubt weekday prices increase significantly despite larger crowds as the event is still far from normal crowds, but Express will continue to see big price increases.
  • More Tuesdays will be added to the schedule in October. The single Tuesday night in 2021 was one of the more popular nights.

HOUSES:

• More Originals than IPs again or a 5/5 split. HHN30 had a 6/4 split in favor of originals, and even before Case Files was added to the lineup, Eilish or Creepshow would’ve made it an even 5/5. There isn’t as much pressure on the creative team to shoehorn IPs in whenever possible, and based on this year’s reception, originals drew guests more than most IPs.
  • One Netflix IP will appear. I think it’s between Army of the Dead, Stranger Things 4, and Haunting of Bly Manor, leaning towards the former for now. Netflix has been pushing Army of the Dead as their next big film series, and the film is one of the most watched Netflix originals of all time. There hasn’t been a zombie house since 2018 either, so AOTD wouldn’t feel similar to recent houses. The window might’ve passed for a Bly Manor house due to the pandemic delay. Unless Netflix’s deal for Hill House included Bly Manor, creating a house for the significantly less popular follow-up two years after its release is somewhat risky. Stranger Things is still possible, but I feel like the team/Netflix might want to tackle a different property. Maybe two Netflix houses appear?
  • The classic film house will be Silence of the Lambs if they get the rights or a Universal classic if they can’t. Now that we know SOTL was in reach for 2020/2021, this is the creative team’s white whale. If it still can’t be obtained, going with a Universal classic instead of another third party IP like TCM makes sense. The Thing or Psycho would be great options as they haven’t appeared at the event in over a decade.
  • Nope or Chucky will be a Universal tie-in house. Jordan Peele has a great relationship with both coasts after Us. As long as Nope features an adaptable subject, I’d expect it to be a house. Chucky is also an option now that the series is NBCUniversal’s most watched cable program in years. Zones are also possibilities instead of houses for these two.
  • Demon Slayer arrives and possibly tests the waters for Universal Cool in America. Similar to the Billie Eilish tie-in before the pandemic cancelled it, Demon Slayer would allow HHN to tap into an audience that might not normally come to the event. Universal already has the rights/a working relationship thanks to the Japan event going on right now, and Demon Slayer is the most popular anime worldwide right now. Anime in general has seen an increase in popularity over the pandemic, and a successful showing for Demon Slayer could strengthen the case for Universal Cool to come as Epic Universe takes attention away from USF.
  • There will be a 3D House. In the six years since the disastrous Lunatics Playground, we have not seen a 3D house at the event again. I think that changes this year.
  • At least one original will be a sequel. My money's on Scarecrow or The In-Between (the latter would tie into my last prediction too).
  • The icon will have a house. For Caretaker, it'd be Screamhouse 3 most likely.
  • Witches or Goblins will be a spiritual successor to Wicked Growth.
  • There will be a sci-fi house. There hasn’t been an original sci-fi house in over a decade. Unless The Thing is the classic IP or Nope has heavy sci-fi elements, maybe they attempt an original.
  • There will be a historical house. It’s been a few years since a house with a heavy historical background was at the event. Maybe a witches house could be tied into Salem?
  • No Universal Classic Monsters house. After two (technically three) years of monsters, it’s time to pump the brakes as good as these houses are. I am not expecting another monster house until The Wolf Man remake is out.
  • No full comedy house this year. After Ghostbusters and especially Beetlejuice’s lackluster responses, I imagine the creative team will stray away from a full comedic house. That’s not to say there won’t be comic relief in other houses, of course.
  • Possible House Map:
    • SS22: The Silence of the Lambs
    • SS24A: Sci-fi Original
    • SS24B: Screamhouse 3
    • SS25: Demon Slayer
    • MIB Tent: 3D House/In-Between 2
    • Sprung Tent 1: Army of the Dead
    • Sprung Tent 2: Witches/Goblins
    • Parade 1: Nope
    • Parade 2: Historical House
    • Shrek: Original
SCAREZONES/SHOWS:
  • Zones stay in the usual locations.
  • There will be at least two IP zones. Squid Game is the easiest option after how much guests enjoyed Seek & Destroy. Chucky also makes sense if it won’t be a house, but the last Chucky scarezone wasn’t too long ago. Attempting Creepshow again is a possibility after it was scrapped for HHN30 if they get the rights.
  • The lagoon show is another Marathon of Mayhem.
  • If there’s a second show with live actors, it will be in Bourne. They could also attempt a show in the music plaza and reroute the usual house queue towards Despicable Me, but that would be much more challenging and limited.
  • Possible Zone Map:
    • Production Central: Original zone vaguely related to the icon
    • New York: Squid Game
    • San Francisco: Creepshow
    • Hollywood: Chucky
    • Central Park: The usual original zone

Considering the idea of “Eddie killing Jack” seems to have been confirmed to have been floated, I can imagine that this year’s theme might hinge on the “horror movie buff” (emphasis on buff) storyline Eddie carries, which would make it extremely similar to an Usher/Director year with some excuses to say “This original maze is Eddie’s idea for a new movie”. It’s probably the easiest way to thematically link several disparate zones and houses into something cohesive and marketable, gives them a great theme for the Lagoon show, and lines up with the rumors for this year’s event having a lot of “titans of terror” situation, especially if Halloween AND Chucky AND Stranger Things appear.

As for those that are worried about the marketability of an Icon, and the discussion that this thread has every single year about the end of Icons and how much Universal does not care about theme… I’d not underestimate the power of a handsome, muscular guy in central Florida that’s related to Jack and has the power to make tangential connections to IP palatable to to super-fans.

My Bold Predictions for HHN 31:
  • At least one or two IPs will show up that have never officially been at HHN Orlando before.
  • The creative team is at least tempting to gain the rights to (say it with me) Hellraiser!!! The new reboot by David Bruckner is actually happening!
  • John Carpenter’s The Thing will finally become a house; finally fans will get to relive the movie scene for scene while the classic celebrates it’s 40th anniversary.
  • Another Universal Monsters attraction.
  • Chucky gets to laugh it up in his new attraction for HHN 31.
  • Major event show moves from Fear Factor to Soundstage 18 (formerly where Blue Man Group and possibly now for the holiday show).
  • New San Francisco house location.
  • A official update on the costume policy.
  • Nothing Blumhouse related will come to this years event.
  • To summarize, my bold House Lineup as of now:
    • Hellraiser
    • The Thing
    • Chucky
    • Universal Monsters: (something)
    • Secret Major IP
    • Squeal Original
    • Original
    • Original
    • Original
    • Original
Something that I would put in the maybe predications is an Icon. While I love everyone's idea's for an Icon for HHN 31, but I just do not know. I do believe that if we do not get an Icon this year, then it will cement having no icons for a majority of this decade of HHN Orlando.

Considering the idea of “Eddie killing Jack” seems to have been confirmed to have been floated, I can imagine that this year’s theme might hinge on the “horror movie buff” (emphasis on buff) storyline Eddie carries, which would make it extremely similar to an Usher/Director year with some excuses to say “This original maze is Eddie’s idea for a new movie”. It’s probably the easiest way to thematically link several disparate zones and houses into something cohesive and marketable, gives them a great theme for the Lagoon show, and lines up with the rumors for this year’s event having a lot of “titans of terror” situation, especially if Halloween AND Chucky AND Stranger Things appear.

As for those that are worried about the marketability of an Icon, and the discussion that this thread has every single year about the end of Icons and how much Universal does not care about theme… I’d not underestimate the power of a handsome, muscular guy in central Florida that’s related to Jack and has the power to make tangential connections to IP palatable to to super-fans.
To add to this, I was looking through James' Twitter for fun clips of him doing his shenanigans, and on the last day, during one of the times he visited Eddie's stage, he asked everyone if they're ready for Eddie to take over HHN.

To add to this, I was looking through James' Twitter for fun clips of him doing his shenanigans, and on the last day, during one of the times he visited Eddie's stage, he asked everyone if they're ready for Eddie to take over HHN.
Let's be careful how far we're looking down the rabbit hole for confirmation on what you guys want to happen. Is it possible that Eddie is the Icon next year? Yes. They have the look down now and they know who to contact to play him as well.

However, it's also possible that James was just having some fun and nothing will come of it regarding Eddie for 31.

Let's be careful how far we're looking down the rabbit hole to for confirmation on what you guys want to happen. Is it possible that Eddie is the Icon next year? Yes. They have the look down now and they know who to contact to play him as well.

However, it's also possible that James was just having some fun and nothing will come of it regarding Eddie for 31.
I know, but it just really stuck out to me because of the rumor that they not only planned for Eddie to kill him and take the throne but even fully rehearsed it.

Reactions: Disneyson1
Status
Not open for further replies.