Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Harmonious

So, i've been to Epcot way more often than usual over the past month or two (really since F&G began... which is ridiculously still going on) and usually stay until park close when I go. I've seen Harmonious quite a few times recently and I have to say, I know this is unpopular and maybe it's just me being used to the show now, but I actually enjoy the show now. The screens still do nothing for me except in the Coco and PatF segments, though.

On the flip side, I haven't been to MK or seen that show in awhile as I have no interest in it at all and I live 5 minutes from MK.

So, i've been to Epcot way more often than usual over the past month or two (really since F&G began... which is ridiculously still going on) and usually stay until park close when I go. I've seen Harmonious quite a few times recently and I have to say, I know this is unpopular and maybe it's just me being used to the show now, but I actually enjoy the show now. The screens still do nothing for me except in the Coco and PatF segments, though.

On the flip side, I haven't been to MK or seen that show in awhile as I have no interest in it at all and I live 5 minutes from MK.

I just stand back and listen to the music (which is fine) and watch the fireworks. The screens absolutely do nothing for the show. Crazy to think that the show can remain the same by getting rid of those ridiculous barges. They could have saved money and put the moving lights around the lagoon and in the central islands and it'll be just as effective.

So Disney+ is making this show look way better than it really is. Like, by far. I actually enjoyed the D+ presentation of the show with the different angles, narration, choir, individual singing and instrumental performances, and the gospel choir.

I don’t mind the show as much as some, but this is obviously the ultimate version.
I know, I felt like I was watching a different show

I guess it's the same as watching a documentary on Old Faithful

In person it's like "oh...that's it huh?"

Still though, I feel like it's mission accomplished for what they were trying to do

With such a fast turnaround time (for Disney), I'm sure it's too much to hope that some of the Harmonious show barges will be removed.

But I'll think positive!

ETA: Check out this quote from the administrator over on Magic:
"This has been on the cards for a while now, and the new show looks very promising - wish I could say more. Be excited people! It may be the show EPCOT deserves."

Last edited:
With such a fast turnaround time (for Disney), I'm sure it's too much to hope that some of the Harmonious show barges will be removed.

But I'll think positive!

"This has been on the cards for a while now, and the new show looks very promising - wish I could say more. Be excited people! It may be the show EPCOT deserves."
If it were up to me, i'd tell whoever needs to hear it to take their sweet time and just run Epcot Forever again in the meantime.

But yeah, they spent way to much money on this show and on those barges for them to just scrap them so i'd be extremely surprised if the screens actually went along with Harmonious. And with that in mind, I mean, how much better can any other show really be? Harmonious is heavily reliant on those screens and the arms within. It won't be easier to just replace this show and make it too much different/better if the barges stay.

At D23, it was announced that Harmonious will be replaced by a new spectacular by the end of 2023.

Make of that what you will!
If they bring back an enhanced Illuminations then I will renew my pass that is unavailable to renew

So like, spiritually renew it

Depends on your definition of "better."

I know what I think would be better!
I worded that poorly and you took it the wrong way because of that.

My point was... as long as those barges are still there and the mandate for IP remains (which let's face it, isn't going away), what can they really do that won't just feel like Harmonious 2.0? The barges are extremely limiting and need to go, but I just don't see a world where they go anywhere right now.

I'm not 100% certain that the IP mandate remains for an Epcot nighttime spectacular. They just did the big IP-infused show, and it apparently rates so poorly that the show is barely going to survive even two years. Maybe somebody in the company learned something.

Do I think it's likely IP will still be involved? Yes. Do I also think it's possible that the conception of the show will be somewhat more high-brow and celebrate real world culture? Also yes.

I'm not 100% certain that the IP mandate remains for an Epcot nighttime spectacular. They just did the big IP-infused show, and it apparently rates so poorly that the show is barely going to survive even two years. Maybe somebody in the company learned something.

Do I think it's likely IP will still be involved? Yes. Do I also think it's possible that the conception of the show will be somewhat more high-brow and celebrate real world culture? Also yes.
I think there's probably people within imagineering that know exactly what Epcot fans want. The question is is there enough of them and if there is, can they convince Josh and (more importantly) Bob to spend the money on an IP-Lite show?

I think a show that is similar in tone to IllumiNations, but throws in a few characters here and there would probably work a lot better. The problem I still see though is I just feel like those barges are a big part of why Harmonious doesn't work. I'm obviously open to the change, but I can see a situation where we actually wind up with a worse show somehow.

I don't overtly hate Harmonious. I think it's overly long, but ultimately a fine show, although it doesn't really fit Epcot. I REALLY dislike Enchantment though. Even though the show is more in line with prior MK shows, it's just absolute crap to me and the applause when Josh asked how much people liked Enchantment and Harmonious said it all. The room was practically dead silent for Enchantment while there was actually a decent amount of applause for Harmonious.

Doubt.

This show is a nightmare for operations, guests don't like it that much, and it's totally unmeorable. Last I heard they're bringing back Epcot forever in 2023.

I don't know who to believe!

I'm going to choose to be optimistic that whatever they're doing is going to feel like it belongs in Epcot more than the Disney Sing-Along.

Doubt.

This show is a nightmare for operations, guests don't like it that much, and it's totally unmeorable. Last I heard they're bringing back Epcot forever in 2023.
Epcot Forever is the easy answer, but that wouldn't make too much sense seeing as this is a 100th anniversary show. Epcot Forever.... errr... celebrates Epcot specifically.

Josh also made it seem like it was an all new show coming. If it was Epcot Forever, why hide that? Especially since that was an extremely well-received show.

Now could I see Epcot Forever coming back as an interim show again? Absolutely. However, it just doesn't seem like what he was talking about.