Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Depths of Fear

Both the tent houses sound super intense this year.

My feelings on the "Mouthbrooders" name aside, this sounds like a lot of fun.

I expect to get wet in this house.

Burst pipes, mouthbrooders spitting eggs at you (via water guns in the dark to create the illusion), water from the ceiling in a rain effect etc.

Mouthbrooding, also known as oral incubation and buccal incubation, is the care given by some groups of animals to their offspring by holding them in the mouth of the parent for extended periods of time. Although mouthbrooding is performed by a variety of different animals, such as the Darwin's frog, fishes are by far the most diverse mouthbrooders. Mouthbrooding has evolved independently in several different families of fish.

Mouthbrooding, also known as oral incubation and buccal incubation, is the care given by some groups of animals to their offspring by holding them in the mouth of the parent for extended periods of time. Although mouthbrooding is performed by a variety of different animals, such as the Darwin's frog, fishes are by far the most diverse mouthbrooders. Mouthbrooding has evolved independently in several different families of fish.

Yes. Which is why they would be able to spit their eggs. That doesn’t change the first image to come into my mind when reading about a deep sea parasite called a mouthbrooder.

I picture isopods replacing tongues.

I should have put “mouthbrooder” in quotes. Although, cymothoa exigua doesn’t brood in its own mouth, it does brood in a mouth.

Yes. Which is why they would be able to spit their eggs. That doesn’t change the first image to come into my mind when reading about a deep sea parasite called a mouthbrooder.

I picture isopods replacing tongues.

I should have put “mouthbrooder” in quotes. Although, cymothoa exigua doesn’t brood in its own mouth, it does brood in a mouth.
okay i see what are your saying they brood in the other month not there mouth

okay i see what are your saying they brood in the other month not there mouth

Given that the crew goes crazy from infection, my initial impression has changed.

I’m now picturing a horrific combination of C. exigua and Sacculina carcini.

S. carcini is the parasitic barnacle. It is a parasitic castrator that zombifies the crab it infects.

The ocean is a frightening place sometimes.