Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 30: HHN Icons: Captured

Were there ever any houses that breaked the norm?
You mean, are there any houses that aren’t just corridors and hallways? Kinda but not really. It doesn’t really matter how big a room is not, once you enter you’re on a narrow path you’re not allowed to deviate from.
Kinda off topic here so sorry mods but that’s just it, it should be the headliner, but it’s not. The headliner are the IPs(BJ, HoHH, UM, and TCM). Since that’s what draws the crowds. When I was in line for ICONS I overheard some people who had mostly no idea who they were but they knew the IPs. So A&D and Marketing don’t put any more effort into the icons(with the exception of Jack). We are lucky we even got a house and merch with them this year. Maybe that why I like this house. @Legacy will correct me on all this.
Anniversary year was always going to get some sort of IP focus. But the IPs being the headlining focus has been the status quo since 2012.

Ignoring Marketing, if that’s the case then why do A&D bother bringing them back if they don’t care for them anymore?
To give us hard core fans a treat. But I’m sure if they focuse more on the icons the house would have been better.

Anniversary year was always going to get some sort of IP focus. But the IPs being the headlining focus has been the status quo since 2012.
Exactly!!

The “problem” with Icons is that there’s too many icons.

A house is typically 10 scenes. We now have “9” icons. That’s one scene per icon, plus finale. People expecting multiple scenes for any icon were always going to be disappointed.

I'm wondering if having the icons in the zones or having their stages like in 2015 would have been better
after watching the vid on YouTube for this house, I noticed that they tried to have some of the stuff they had for their 2015 zone but in house form it doesn't work as well,
for example, the director section or "room" is basically just a bathtub and some sheets hanging out lol. lady luck section is just dark walls, sheets hanging and her lucky wheel,
same for the rest. it's: dark wall/ dark sheets hanging, small props for the icon, move to next.
feels like if they took the stuff they had for them in 2015 but stretched it out in house form. making their sections feel thin in decorations.
chance gets a very tiny little padded room that you can't even see that well.

the only one with a fleshed out section is usher lol.

I’ve only seen vids of this house, LT, and Scarey but if it’s the case for all the houses; anyone else feel that these houses are too unnecessarily loud noisy than they should be?

The “problem” with Icons is that there’s too many icons.

A house is typically 10 scenes. We now have “9” icons. That’s one scene per icon, plus finale. People expecting multiple scenes for any icon were always going to be disappointed.
My favorite is Usher and he has 2-3 scenes so I’m happy.
hanging room, theater room, and lobby
the only one with a fleshed out section is usher lol.
which is great!!

I’ve only seen vids of this house, LT, and Scarey but if it’s the case for all the houses; anyone else feel that these houses are too unnecessarily loud noisy than they should be?
i always have to wear ear plugs or put kleenex tissue on my ears because of that lol. :horror:

I mean, the design should have been more akin to Universal Monsters. The monsters there only got like, a scene each but they were richly detailed, scary, and well-executed.

thats the best example, yes, Universal Monsters is the perfect example, yes it had narrow pathways but each monster section had different walls and different textures and was decorated differently. each monster section was unique.
with icons it feels like a warehouse with a lot of red curtains hanging everywhere lol. but if it was a budget issue then i understand,

Monsters was a bunch of different locations. Icons is entirely inside the lantern, meaning they would have intentionally used a common design motif throughout to remind folks they’re still in the lantern.
But the maze doesn't do that. Like half of it is like that, but some sections are richly themed and detailed. The Caretaker's little section is nicely done, as well as the Storyteller. The lantern motif only appears at the beginning and end.

But the maze doesn't do that. Like half of it is like that, but some sections are richly themed and detailed. The Caretaker's little section is nicely done, as well as the Storyteller. The lantern motif only appears at the beginning and end.

Maybe Legacy was talking about the lighting?

Maybe Legacy was talking about the lighting?

the cave / lantern motif is kinda dropped after the first room. the house just feels like a regular warehouse. they did the warehouse motif in 2010 but it was much better, more decorated. this house kinda has that same warehouse feel but with much less decoration and less props. I think it feels like it's meant to be a sequel to 2010.
I'm just speculating after thinking about it, yes the house starts as the lantern but then it changes to a hhn warehouse, 2010 was similar.
the 2010 event had a hhn warehouse scarezone that started with the lantern too and then the 2010 house was a hhn warehouse in the back of E.T.

I think the general public would be a lot more excited about Icons if they actually had a proper presence in the park. Why aren't they in the 30 Years scarezone that is playing sound clips of their voices?

and if marketing hates the icons so much, why are they in the lagoon show lol.
why not put Michael myers and chuck in the lagoon show. (even if they don't have a house)
very weird very strange. i like the lagoon show but that show and this house are weird as heck. it's weird because chucky and Michael have stuff coming out. (no house/no zone) I'm glad to see the icons and I'm glad they gave hhn fans a bone with the icons.
but yes it is very odd. it even makes me wonder if the icons house or show scenes were last minute after some IP contract fell through.

Cool Easter egg I just read about

I was reading about Icons on the app and it said the throne is a exact replica from the throne in Hades form 2010!