Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 31: Sweet Revenge

the purge : Candy Crush edition lol. universal really missed out on having one more IP lol

and i specifically say purge, because purge people already looked like trick r treaters/ halloween parade kids. specially when universal adds masks from their warehouse or past zones. so it will probably feel like purge because of the area used and the masks used

Like reducing a haunted house down to "walking through hallways as things pop out at you".
I mean, where’s the lie?

It’s reductive to call this zone “The Purge: Candy Crush Edition.” It does a disservice to the effort that’s gone into developing a cohesive story (which fans have clamored for) and a uniquely gorgeous, non-dystopian setting in an area known for being nothing more than “city.” My hyperbole came from that perspective.

I mean, where’s the lie?

It’s reductive to call this zone “The Purge: Candy Crush Edition.” It does a disservice to the effort that’s gone into developing a cohesive story (which fans have clamored for) and a uniquely gorgeous, non-dystopian setting in an area known for being nothing more than “city.” My hyperbole came from that perspective.

Exactly. Stripping out all the context and aesthetics leaves you with something not scary because the context and aesthetics make it scary. "Oh they've done this before" yeah but have they done it like this?

the purge : Candy Crush edition lol. universal really missed out on having one more IP lol

and i specifically say purge, because purge people already looked like trick r treaters/ halloween parade kids. specially when universal adds masks from their warehouse or past zones. so it will probably feel like purge because of the area used and the masks used

giphy.gif

Like reducing a haunted house down to "walking through hallways as things pop out at you".
I mean, where’s the lie?

Exactly. Stripping out all the context and aesthetics leaves you with something not scary because the context and aesthetics make it scary. "Oh they've done this before" yeah but have they done it like this?

It depends on how the actors look/ What masks they use. We shall see.
I admit we don't know how anything looks, but, you guys might already fully know how the actors look, which I understand. You guys could already know more. I don't know anything lol.
If you guys know that these costumes look nothing similar to the purge then I will fully believe you. Thanks.

I admit we don't know how anything looks, but, you guys might already fully know how the actors look, which I understand. You guys could already know more. I don't know anything lol.
If you guys know that these costumes look nothing similar to the purge then I will fully believe you. Thanks.
My money is still on it being more Psychoscareapy Unleashed just based on the Fall Festival setting. Plus, the actors in that wore Halloween costumes, so that seems a more apt comparison.

That was also not a dystopian/post apocalyptic future so it lines up cleaner from a sets/soundtrack standpoint too.

There’s more to a zone than just the character’s costumes.

Personally, the more it resembles Psychoscareapy, the better as thatzone was hugely interactive and fun.

We don’t need to know anything about the zone’s costumes to know there’s not gonna be anything like the Purge. Nothing about the Purge screams 1950s poisoned victims in vintage Halloween costumes.

To me, this feels a lot more like a spiritual successor to Schittie’s Kids than anything else previously mentioned. And for that, I’m incredibly excited. :)

My money is still on it being more Psychoscareapy Unleashed just based on the Fall Festival setting. Plus, the actors in that wore Halloween costumes, so that seems a more apt comparison.

That was also not a dystopian/post apocalyptic future so it lines up cleaner from a sets/soundtrack standpoint too.

There’s more to a zone than just the character’s costumes.

Personally, the more it resembles Psychoscareapy, the better as thatzone was hugely interactive and fun.

yes Psychoscareapy is a good point, that could be a better comparison, you make a better point that i did. specially if they focus on specific themes for the outfits or specific make up.
maybe none of the actors will wear any masks at all. maybe only make up.you made me realized that this zone might not even have masks. that could be exciting as well
it could be better if they had no masks for this zone. who knows

30 years x (an average of 7 or 8 houses) + (average of probably 5 zones) = everything has been done before. At least twice.

Just like every ride starts with a normal tour, something goes HORRIBLY WRONG, after a series of near-misses we escape and save the day.

As always, God is in the details.

30 years x (an average of 7 or 8 houses) + (average of probably 5 zones) = everything has been done before. At least twice.

Just like every ride starts with a normal tour, something goes HORRIBLY WRONG, after a series of near-misses we escape and save the day.

As always, God is in the details.

See: Toothfairy last year. Upon speculation, people complained it was just like Knotts. Instead, they found a new way to present a similar idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for this, but after listening to the video, couldn't help but create this oversimplification of the story:

Yzma - Miss Treats
Kronk - Major Sweets
Youth potion - Poisoned candy

I think it would be a nice tradition to start ordering two treats in the tribute store, as per the story… one for you. The other for the person behind the counter.

I think this is a gorgeous story. As per the podcast story, I wonder if…

…we’ll see the corpses of Major Sweet’s parents in the Tribute Theatre…

I also really hope we have an “Evil Queen In The Window” moment in the theater with Kid Major Sweets in there, especially with the gauzy curtains so evocatively described.

I know it’s hyperbole, but I wonder if the teachers of the town truly are vile.

I like the idea that we might see some 1939 dead bodies within the zone mingling with the newer 1954 costumes. Could make for some interesting costume combinations.

Is the implication that the young girl (Miss Treats) is actually the murderer? So that she can have Major Sweets to herself? Or do we think the poisoner is still a mystery? Either this is the reveal, or else we find out at the judge’s table that the new-to-town judge poisoned the parents and we see a staged murder kinda like The Hanging on that Judge’s Stage.

If he’s 24 in 1939, Major Sweets should be about 39 years old in the zone, right (set in 1954)? They must have had an idea on who to play this character when writing the zone.

I like the idea that Miss Treats is so much more the ringmaster and Major Sweets is kinda more like a “crying clown” character, sorta more like the Director. Definitely a manipulative relationship, very Macbeth/Lady Macbeth

I really hope they use these story nuggets to really expound on this story with hidden details - I think they’ve really been doing a great job of this in recent years.

1661917022449.jpeg
1939 Costumes (pretty tame)

1661916913295.jpeg

1954 Costumes (terrible Uncanny valley)

Last edited:
Starting a gamble that Major Sweets might return next year as the unofficial icon like Pumpkin Lord this year. Any takers?