HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017 | Page 186 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To be fair he had his chance several times and he blew it. Why do This is the End? Why do Blumhouse? Why do Alice Cooper? Why do El Cucuy? Why do Titans? While some of those were good houses, I’m saying Murdy could’ve prioritized Monsters over those ideas if he really wanted to do it. It’s not like he was told to do those houses.

Wait....he could’ve done a Monsters house but instead decided to do a maze with James Franco and Seth Rogan...think about that.

This is all true..

Whatever that sentimental factor is, it'll affect the event next year. Be it good or bad, I'm still very interested on what's to come. If we do get fresh faces next year, I still think we'll see IPs but it'll probably be just like Orlando where there's somewhat of a balance between originals and IPs. If it somehow drops to 0 IPs then so be it. On the other hand... Maybe we're just overthinking it?

Aight folks, just got the solution to the big attendance debate from my pals. Average attendance has been 15k or so and the peak this year is about 27k so I guess both sides were pretty much right!

Can corroborate. Highest number I heard was 27K, which was a bit of an outlier.

Highest attended HHN this year is 26,000. HHN can be capped at 25-26K.

The cap to stop selling tickets is 25K - but then people with Frequent Fear Passes/other VIPs can still show up and bolster the numbers. 26-27K sounds right for that high mark.

If this is what happens, then yes, I hope he goes out with a bang.. an all fan-requests year sounds more like his thing, like 2016..

Yeah; not to be annoying by bringing it back up but maybe he’ll finally give TrT a shot since it’s more well known than AvED and it’s highly requested.

The show AvED may be a pretty obscure, but the Evil Dead franchise is definitely more well known than TrT. I think AvED coming was more about the franchise as a whole and not so much just the show. Either way it didn't pay off, and I think TrT would be slightly more popular. But if an original Evil Dead series came, ED would've edged it out a bit. The remake maze didn't do too bad for itself. But ultimately TrT WOULD just be another maze with an empty queue, like Krampus. Even when the sequel comes out and is released theatrically, unless it's a box office hit (which it won't be, sadly), it'll still be fairly low in traffic.

My whole thing with Trick r Treat is it's traditional Halloween, at the end of the day. The imagery/characters will connect with audiences no matter what. It won't move the needle attendance-wise, but neither did This is the End, Black Sabbath, Clowns, or a plethora of other one-off mazes.

What could be cool about Trick 'r Treat coming to the future events is that even material from the comics can be incorporated into the maze, as well as other creative liberties. If the pumpkin section from 2016's Halloween 2 maze is a sign of anything, it definitely shows creative interpretations can work really well, especially for a Halloween-oriented maze.

USH doesn't have the rights to Jack Nicholson and the same I believe about Bruce Campbell. No audio from Jack Nicholson is ever played in maze and none of the masks are actually him. Every mask looks like him but there is something different. Compare those masks to the life like masks of the characters from The Exorcist or even Dick Halloran. So all of the people complaining about those masks and talking about Orlando now you have a reason.

Just a theory but maybe there were so many blackout walls this year because The Shining was such an expensive property to get the rights for.

Last edited:
It's just we've seen in the past how well known ideas usually translate best to audience popularity. Something original like La Llorona and El Cucuy are deep in the mythology of the culture. Basic-Halloween-maze won't mean much. There was already a basic-Christmas-maze with Krampus, and Christmas is one of the most celebrated holidays in the world, and we saw how that did. There needs to be something strong and identifiable to draw people in (or at least that's their mentality). And I can't blame them when we see strong mazes like Krampus have an empty line every night. This year should also be a lesson that a lot of people are confused by the concepts of Titans of Terror and Blumhouse. These mash-up mazes don't have a strong marketing angle and are hard to explain to someone not accustom to this stuff. I think that's another major reason why this year flopped, on top of the quality not being up to par. Now if every single maze is a major heavy hitter, then maybe TrT could squeeze it's way in. But the inevitable low lines will tell corporate it was a bad idea and they could've had an even stronger event by replacing it.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
USH doesn't have the rights to Jack Nicholson and the same I believe about Bruce Campbell. No audio from Jack Nicholson is ever played in maze and none of the masks are actually him. Every mask looks like him but there is something different. Compare those masks to the life like masks of the characters from The Exorcist or even Dick Halloran. So all of the people complaining about those masks and talking about Orlando now you have a reason.

Just a theory but maybe there were so many blackout walls this year because The Shining was such an expensive property to get the rights for.

You're incorrect on both parts. "Danny Boy!" can be heard in the final scene which is straight from the movie, Murdy only did the "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" line.

Bruce Campbell's Ash also has a line in the middle of the maze as well as the end.

You're incorrect on both parts. "Danny Boy!" can be heard in the final scene which is straight from the movie, Murdy only did the "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" line.

Bruce Campbell's Ash also has a line in the middle of the maze as well as the end.

Unfortunately he's half right. Universal could not get his likeness. The only likeness that they could use from the shining are the Grady twins (hence the reason they're used so predominantly in the marketing). But I do believe the audio is from the movie, if not recreated very well. That i'm not 100% sure on.

"Unfortunately" man it kills you when I'm right, doesn't it?

Bruce Campbell I was unsure of but Jack I am sure. Except for the Finale "Danny boy and the ARGGGG" everything is someone else dubbing for him. Including the masks, thats not a cast of his face. I was talking to a makeup artist for Pat while in line for TOT and everything connected. I shouldn't only trust one person but this is a widely known FACK