Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2015

What is your favorite USH HHN Year?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Pre-2006

• Total voters
He has confirmed however, that he will still help put together the list for 2016's mazes.... I wonder who will take up the mantle? 
Does that mean the event will remain unchanged? Normally you want a clean break from the past when you usher in a new head.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Possibly, but I think he's just helping choose what might bring in guests one last time. I'd assume he won't have any creative control over the mazes themselves though. That is an interesting thing to point out, but I do have to wonder if he's just advising or actually helping pick what'll be brought to the table. 

I'm sure the first few years with him leaving will be like Steven Spielberg only producing instead of directing the rest of the JP movies. I'm sure he'll stay on as creative consultant for a while.
I see it as more like George Lucas only producing Star Wars instead of directing it. His first few years were amazing, but just like Lucas, he has done some things I'm not a fan of. Just like waiting for the new Star Wars movie goes, we'll see how this goes. 

But Murdy was still great for what he did. 

Well that brought tears to my eyes. John has been my idol ever since I went through my first maze. I'm sad to see him go, but I hope he finds something he loves doing and a new creative director takes over and breathes new life into the event.

In other news, unlimited FOL is back for the after party Friday and Saturday.

What are the chances of us getting an icon now? I know Murdy was against them so maybe this new person will give it a go?

What are the chances of us getting an icon now? I know Murdy was against them so maybe this new person will give it a go?
If Johns collaborated with the list for next year, I doubt it for now. But, I think there will be a extremely higher percentage of there being an Icon for 2017s HHN.

No offense to Murdy, but I gotta love that 90% of his fond memories on twitter involve him getting to work with other famous people. Oh, John.

He'll be on counsel for the event next year, so I imagine very little will change even with a new creative lead. I just wish that they could slap out of their minds that "fun" and "scary" are two things that can not be associated with each other. 

I only was lucky enough to attend one night of Orlando's HHN (which was, again, amazing), but thru social media alone you could feel the party vibe. Yes, they were all about the scares, but also about innovation and weren't shy to humor. James Keaton (who plays Jack) and a freaking parody account of the bear character in M&M (which, I'm assuming, was manned by the bear's scareactors since the bear started to respond to dance requests) would quite often throw barbs at each other, and then the creative director Michael Aiello would even jump into the fun!

Murdy seems like he would throw his nose up at this tomfoolery and go back to focusing on what makes things "scary". I love the attention to detail USH's HHN puts into their houses, but I would give anything for this event to lighten up and think outside the box. And no, a half-hearted maze dedicated to a 2-and-a-half-year-old Seth Rogen comedy doesn't count.

Ding dong, the wicked Murdy is dead!... What, too soon?.. I will admit that Murdy DID do some pretty great things for the event over the years, BUT it is time for some new blood pumping through HHN Hollywood's veins. Unfortunately, USH needs a bigger team (like Orlando) for the event to truly shine & spread the amount of planning/designing a little more evenly. Also a bigger budget as well. That is a discussion for another time (like AFTER this weekend).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Now as promised, here is my mini-review recap from Sunday night.... WITH PICS!!!

gjKoaqo.jpg

3MRaAum.jpg

I arrived around 3:30pm-ish for Early Entry, so I wasn't too far back in the already existing line of people waiting to be ushered into the security gauntlet. Only waited about an hour for security to open, which went by pretty quick. Once I was let into the park I had to go to the bathroom (DAMN YOU BLADDER!), so I took the opportunity to take a quick look at the additions to Dark Xmas/Corpz that weren't there the last time I was at the park before heading down to the Lower Lot. Noticed this was missing...

NWWqPj7.jpg

Once on the Lower Lot, I went straight to TWD (waittime said 20mins), ended up waiting roughly 30-35mins, but I didn't mind since I had "Front of the Line" to use later on. Besides, I was standing where SS28 used to be (SAD NERDGASM!). I'm sure I missed a few scares, but I felt that last year's maze was A LOT scarier. It is only the "Longest Maze Ever" because it has "More Hallways Than Ever"! Also, the hanging torsos in the finale really killed the scare potential. There wasn't enough scareactors either. That disappointed me.

GGyzwLE.jpg

Hit up Insidious next, only waited roughly 25mins. For all of the hype that surrounded this maze because of 2013, I wasn't very impressed. I did get a few scares, but missed most of them. I was disappointed that they didn't take advantage of the videoscreens in the JP queue because I felt a queue video montage of clips from the films would've been nice (especially for those who have never seen the films). No music, no queue video... totally missed opportunity.

j3eXN07.jpg

This is the End... only waited 15mins, which I appreciated since this was definitely a poorly executed maze. It was slightly better than Clowns 3D, but that isn't saying much. The videoscreen vlogs were kinda pointless because you don't have time to stop and watch them... well I mean you could.. :unsure:  If this maze actually got a decent waittime, the vlogs would've been a good queue video. The 3D was okay, but there really needed to be more scareactors. The cast is too small. I got quite a few scares from the demons, plus they reminded me of the demons in Orlando's 2011 house "The In-Between"! I liked seeing the Marty McFly "hoverboard" skateboard in the first scene.

1PAympS.jpg

The Purge: Urban Nightmare... I don't think it was as good of a scarezone as last year on the Upper Lot, but I will say the cast definitely had great energy. I hung back a bit so everyone else was more or less gone resulting in all of the scareactors surrounding me as I went through. I loved the strobes & fog. If they had a bigger cast, I think it would be a lot better. Didn't have enough feeling of "organized" chaos.

05jpWaP.jpg

Crimson Peak was only a 15min waittime... The façade is nice, but it wasn't right for this maze at all. Just like the façade, the maze itself was a little underwhelming for such a big IP (especially when the first "hallway" was blank black walls instead of themed like a crypt). Praise the sets all you want, but the blank black wall hallways killed the rest of the maze's set details. I don't mind "large" scenes, but only when they are done well & don't feel empty. Too many scenes were devoid of scares because of "oh hey look scenic detail". While I did get one or two scares, I found this maze to be rather boring & repetitive (especially with scareactor variety). Basically what I'm trying to say is..... WE SHOULD'VE HAD "KRAMPUS" INSTEAD!!! <_<

L6qeWU2.jpg

It was going on 7:40pm and AVP was already a 40min waittime, so I whipped out my FOTL pass because I wasn't about to wait that long for a maze that is the exact same as last year. While I enjoyed it last year, I found it to be less scary this year. The few scares that I did get were from the same scenes as last year (go figure). Considering there is a giant screen next to the queue, it would've been nice to have had clips from the AVP films (maybe some from the Alien & Predator films as well, even if they're just the kills) along with some rock music (or in Murdy's case... sci-fi dubstep).

Once back on the Lower Lot I decided to take advantage of the "No Wait" for Transformers... and rode it 5 times! :ph34r:  Then up the evil Starway of doom I went so I could knock out Terror Tram and Halloween.... but first, here is a laser puppy.

9AXNG2d.jpg

Terror Tram: Survive the Purge... It said 10mins, but I pretty much walked right on. I really enjoyed the onride video, however it lacked the "bloody brutal gore" that Murdy had hyped up before the event started. Wonder if that got cut. Did anyone else get a Kimberly Duncan from T2:3D vibe from Jill St Stevens? Instead of saying "Super", it was "Fabulous" which made me laugh more than it probably should have. As for the Terror Tram itself, well as expected, it was a little underwhelming. I went through as quickly as I could because it was just so boring (which is not the scareactors fault). Like last year, I felt it needed more lighting, audio & scareactors. I think it is time to either drastically overhaul the Terror Tram or just retire it for good.

Ch0VzRz.jpg

Halloween was at a 50min waittime, so I whipped out my FOTL pass again since it was the last maze I had to do. Having not done the maze in 2009, nor Orlando's version last year, I was looking forward to this. I got a few scares (Damn trick-or-treaters!), but it didn't "feel" like Halloween to me. There was something off about the whole thing. Also the hedge construction walls for the outdoor section was just lazy/cheap. I enjoyed the finale scene, but I've experienced it better executed in Orlando a few times. I loved hearing the Silver Shamrock theme song while waiting in the queue though.

0dRYQ0b.jpg

By this time it was already 9:30pm, so I decided to give in & get something to eat (yay overpriced theme park food). I had The Clogger (with BBQ) from Krusty Burger! Nomnomnom...

ZJOUfvk.jpg

After eating, I took a quick look at Exterminatorz since I didn't see it earlier due to doing Early Entry, then passed through Dark Xmas/Corpz again. Still say the cast is too small for these scarezones, but they were doing a great job. The Corpz soldiers really liked me for some reason so they kept circling me. I then put my FOTL pass to use and rode Simpsons, Despicable Me, JPRA, Mummy, & Transformers since the maze lines were too long to do without FOTL.

tL80pJ5.jpg

Decided to hit up Insidious, TWD, & This is the End a second time with FOTL.. Got a few scares. Jumped on the tram back to the Metro sets to do Crimson Peak again. It was only 25mins so I didn't use my FOTL. Then did AVP a second time since it was only 20mins. Ended up doing Crimson Peak again with FOTL, then did it a 4th time since they had taken away most of the queue barricades so I was able to walk right in.

Once I was back on the Lower Lot, I did This is the End a 3rd time due to it being a walk-on. Would've done it a 4th time, but it was temporary closed due to the lights being on inside the maze and they didn't know how to turn them off :wacko:

LMutrSG.jpg

Since it was already 1:45am, I made my way back up the Starway so I could jump in line for Halloween before it closed. Only waited about maybe 20mins, it was a good way to end the night, even if I didn't get as many scares as the first time.

KUuHZah.jpg

Overall, I had a pretty good night. I was pretty tired from working the previous 4 nights, so I'm sure that affected my enjoyment a little. I could've easily done each maze at least 3 times (or more) had I made the effort, but I was taking it easy Sunday night. I skipped Jabbawockeez because I just didn't feel like seeing it. As for the event itself, while I enjoyed myself... it didn't "feel" like HHN to me. There was something off about it. It felt lazy & half-assed. It seemed to lack the "fun" factor. The mazes weren't as good or scary as last year. The scarezones were kinda forgettable. I don't know, I just feel like last year was better. They really need to hire MORE scareactors. The casts are too small, especially for the scarezones & Terror Tram. I know I come across a little harsh in my review, but just like previous years in Orlando, I'm not going to hump Universal's leg praising them when they don't deserve it. Nothing will improve if we don't provide constructive criticism or make suggestions (as I've said before, they DO read the forums). I'll be going again both Friday & Saturday (without FOTL ....for now), so we'll see what I think after this weekend.

I don't think this was mentioned yet, but if you haven't noticed... Friday & Saturday are both "1am" closing times <_<

R3xRP4S.jpg

Also, I forgot to post this... but yea, it amused me greatly.

jKMjJ71.jpg

Where did you see the show times for Jabbawockeez?

Also... I really hope these last two nights are... wait for it...

4Mgjk4t.jpg

I really don't want to have to upgrade for FOTL... might splurge on Saturday, but I'd rather not.

Hah Thanks. Just wait until the "full event review" after this weekend, it will be a much more entertaining read (which reminds me, I never did one for last year, need to fix that). Surprisingly, I only ended up with roughly 75 pics from Sunday night (mostly due to the fact I forgot to charge the batteries <_< ). I will definitely be taking A LOT more pics tomorrow/Saturday. This may not be the best year, but I'm looking forward to going again.

Welp... off to the land of sleep.. Plan on going to play in the park for a bit before the event.

Universal just confirmed the Jabbawockeez showtimes for today and tomorrow. 

4:30 and 5:45 for daytime guests

7:30, 8:30, 10:15, 11:15, and 12:30 for HHN guests