Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Howl-O-Scream 2014

Since the Experiment is returning and hopefully changed, I decided to reveal what last years version was like in last years thread. Head on over there if you're really curious what it did. If you want things kept a secret, don't bother looking since it's truly spoiler heavy.

Here's the official description for ZCU:

Zombie Containment Unit
Three years after the undead invasion, there has been a containment failure in Z.C.U.15. Zombies have escaped in search of flesh, and you’re the next target. Armed with only a Z.E.D. (Zombie Eradication Device), it’s up to you to hold off an undead mob in this interactive zombie hunting experience.

HOS was wet last tonight, crowds light and Fright Feast packed. Saw very little of the haordes due to the rain but the clowns that were out were killing it.
Took one pic tonight as I was leaving of the front gate show

DSC03156_zps4eb35b20.jpg

Circus of Superstition 3-D got some nice changes, namely the awesome new facade.
Deadfall is a great addition.
ZCU15 sucked.
Lots of puppets and large animatronics.
HOS merchandise is getting worse every year way too much zombie crap.. so sad they are deviating from the Dark Side of the Gardens that had some really good merch.

ZCU15 sucked.
Lots of puppets and large animatronics.
HOS merchandise is getting worse every year way too much zombie crap.. so sad they are deviating from the Dark Side of the Gardens that had some really good merch.

Wow! Haven't been on this forum for ages... This is awful news! I was really looking forward to ZCU!

I'll be arriving to Tampa this Wednesday and will attend this Thursday. I've been trying to read spoiler free comments about the Houses, both for HoS and HHN.. Damn, really wanted ZCU to stand out.

Cheers!

Marquibiri

Wow! Haven't been on this forum for ages... This is awful news! I was really looking forward to ZCU!

I'll be arriving to Tampa this Wednesday and will attend this Thursday. I've been trying to read spoiler free comments about the Houses, both for HoS and HHN.. Damn, really wanted ZCU to stand out.

Cheers!

Marquibiri

From what I've heard Dead Fall is the real stand out this year...going in the next few weeks and can't wait to check it out

One of my old co workers is in deadfall, pretty awesome. I really need to go this year. Haven't been in ages. I just hate the majority of people who go to it lol. 13 year old girls screaming snd drunk douchebags everywhere you turn

One of my old co workers is in deadfall, pretty awesome. I really need to go this year. Haven't been in ages. I just hate the majority of people who go to it lol. 13 year old girls screaming snd drunk douchebags everywhere you turn

You mean like HHNs?

- - - Updated - - -

How did the zombie thing suck? Was it boring, the guns didn't implement well or was it not scary?

I want Haunted houses not games, or gimmicks and it really wasn't even fun.

You mean like HHNs?

- - - Updated - - -

I want Haunted houses not games, or gimmicks and it really wasn't even fun.

Never had a bad experience at HHN, strangely a more well behaved crowd. BG is so local that pretty much anybody could go. I've seen toddlers at howl I scream along with people who come in barefoot. BG at night is totally different than during the day. Also thanks for the heads up, if I'm running out of time I'll definitely skip it. Still a neat concept though, wonder if it hindered any lines. Btw did you get a score at the end like MIB?

Never had a bad experience at HHN, strangely a more well behaved crowd. BG is so local that pretty much anybody could go. I've seen toddlers at howl I scream along with people who come in barefoot. BG at night is totally different than during the day. Also thanks for the heads up, if I'm running out of time I'll definitely skip it. Still a neat concept though, wonder if it hindered any lines. Btw did you get a score at the end like MIB?

Your bias is showing. Both events cater heavily to locals - while you may not have had bad experiences, I assure you many others have. (I had way less of an issue at HOS than HHN, but I also have been to HHN more, so the sample size is bigger.)

Real shame that ZCU15 disappoints. The clips I saw looked really tame and disappointing... not sure laser tag really works well in a mass haunt environment. Deadfall sounds neat, but I hear it's a bit scatterbrained through some reviews (including Brigante, who tends to be pretty forgiving)... any more thoughts there? Also, how's the Cursed zone?

I've got about 3 hours to kill on Friday in Tampa and scored some free tickets to Howl O Scream. It's been a few years since I've been and was wondering if someone could give some tips. I plan on being at the event from around 7 til 1030-11ish depending on flight schedules. With that being said what are crowds generally like? Will I be able to hit all the houses in 3 hours? What houses should I focus on doing if wait times are large?

Thanks!

I've got about 3 hours to kill on Friday in Tampa and scored some free tickets to Howl O Scream. It's been a few years since I've been and was wondering if someone could give some tips. I plan on being at the event from around 7 til 1030-11ish depending on flight schedules. With that being said what are crowds generally like? Will I be able to hit all the houses in 3 hours? What houses should I focus on doing if wait times are large?

Thanks!

Absolutely don't miss Death Water Bayou, Zombie Mortuary, The Basement or Circus of Superstition, in that order - can't speak to DeadFall or ZCU15. Blood Asylum was a fun "crazy" haunt but isn't nearly as impressive as the others. I can't speak to crowd levels this year, but within 3 hours you could probably manage a good majority of them. Have fun!

So how does ZCU work then for Fright Feasters?

Last year and the year before I headed counterclockwise after Fright Feast (ZM to Nevermore, etc)... I've heard that clockwise is the way to go this year.
What time does ZCU open, 7? Since there is no FOTL for that, how does it work?
Will it take too much time? Should I skip it till the end (going this Thursday).

Cheers!

Marquibiri

Real shame that ZCU15 disappoints. The clips I saw looked really tame and disappointing... not sure laser tag really works well in a mass haunt environment.

I was fairly intruiged to see videos of ZCU15, especially considering Knott's Berry Farm is debuting Special Ops: Infected this year. I was curious to see if ZCU15 would be on the same level as S.O:I, or like the previous lazer tag mazes Knott's has done before that have been terrible.

Unfortunately for HoS, while ZCU15 does look prettier set-wise then the previous lazer tag mazes Knott's used to have...it pretty much falls under the same problems Knott's had back then. It just comes off as a gimmick, and you're constantly reminded it seems more like lazer tag then anything else with the gun you're holding and the freakin' bright LED circle targets on the zombies chests.

Meanwhile looking at videos and reports of Special Ops: Infected at Knott's, it looks like they finally figured out a great way to present and execute this kind of concept. So it is possible to make this work. Though I don't know if every park can do what Knott's had to do to make it happen. (They essentially closed off the entire Camp Snoopy area of the park to host the attraction, allowing two different guided experiences to happen inside it.)

Next year (September 2015) I will be spending my Honeymoon in Orlando - 1st week Disney, 2nd & 3rd week on I-Drive (as we did 3 years ago). I know to go to Busch from I-Drive they do free transport with FlexiTicket Plus (sold to us Brits endless times), and I know HOS is an add-on event. But does anyone know if it is possible to visit HOS from I-drive area and back? Do they put on transport/can anyone recommend any company that is a fair price? Cheers.

Thanks!

Yeah what Fallow said, Dead fall is also a neat house with some great set pieces.
Fridays can be crazy, with all the rain it may be packed if it is dry...

- - - Updated - - -

So how does ZCU work then for Fright Feasters?

Last year and the year before I headed counterclockwise after Fright Feast (ZM to Nevermore, etc)... I've heard that clockwise is the way to go this year.
What time does ZCU open, 7? Since there is no FOTL for that, how does it work?
Will it take too much time? Should I skip it till the end (going this Thursday).

Cheers!

Marquibiri

You get the time in ZCU15 before they allow anyone else in so go do that first.
Then i went to Deadfall so I could do it with less people in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Your bias is showing. Both events cater heavily to locals - while you may not have had bad experiences, I assure you many others have. (I had way less of an issue at HOS than HHN, but I also have been to HHN more, so the sample size is bigger.)

Real shame that ZCU15 disappoints. The clips I saw looked really tame and disappointing... not sure laser tag really works well in a mass haunt environment. Deadfall sounds neat, but I hear it's a bit scatterbrained through some reviews (including Brigante, who tends to be pretty forgiving)... any more thoughts there? Also, how's the Cursed zone?

I agree I have never seen any of those things at either...

The Cursed zone is really small and pretty much a photo op from what I saw.