Howl-O-Scream 2021 (SeaWorld Orlando) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Howl-O-Scream 2021 (SeaWorld Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Antarctica ride was scary 'bad'. The original Howl O Scream, namely screaming why did I waste my time standing in line to ride this awful pos. :lol: ;) Can't get much screamier.

Any chance they pulled some of the HHN crew during the layoffs? I’m wondering what the event caliber will be.
A lot of HHN people, even if they've already been accepted this year, are talking about auditioning for HOS at SW. They will have plenty big enough of a talent pool to pull from. Although just because they work for HHN, don't assume they are automatically of high caliber among scareactors. HOS BGT typically has much more intense scareactors and less restrictions, which I expect to carry over to this event.

I think the local haunts will be hurt most as others have said as those also have great scareactors and many from those will probably audition for HOS now as they will pay more and also allow for a decent amount of freedom in scaring.

while the smaller haunts will be hurt by competition.
won't this event bring in more tourists? wouldn't smaller events get more visits, even from around florida guests?
will it only take away business from smaller haunts?

and as for scareactors and the lack of restrictions from howl o scream,
I wonder if this sea world event will have the same intensity. specially since they are holding the daytime event for children, and families might want to do the might time event as well

I wonder if this sea world event will have the same intensity. specially since they are holding the daytime event for children, and families might want to do the might time event as well

That never slowed down Busch Gardens from running their Sesame Street Halloween during the day and bringing out the intense stuff at night.

It's a separate ticket event, so I don't see them toning it down. It's not like BGW which for years included HoS in general admission, something which a lot of folks felt kept the event restrained. Though it looks like they're finally making that one a separate ticket event as well.

Reactions: SeventyOne
won't this event bring in more tourists? wouldn't smaller events get more visits, even from around florida guests?

Only so many vacation days my friend. Already trying to figure out how to squeeze HoS O- Town in.

Only so many vacation days my friend. Already trying to figure out how to squeeze HoS O- Town in.
Idk how many days you have, but I wouldn't waste too much time at WDW right now. Next year around October or so will be a much better time to visit Disney as a lot more will be open.

SeaWorld isn’t a huge standalone draw even on its own. It rides the market share that Disney and Universal bring in to town. HoSO is going to be the areas cheap alternative to HHN for locals. It’s unlikely to even be marketed much outside of Central Florida.

Regarding the intensity, the other SeaWorld HoS events partition off the “scary” area from the rest of the park. HoS admission includes a bracelet that gets you access to the houses while, if you want to go through them, the streets remain accessible. It’s a surprisingly effective system that would work well in Orlando. It would throw people expecting a full-park event, but is totally in line with a 30-dollar “hard ticket” event.

Wow. Did not see this coming. Totally thought from the IG post that HOS was MOVING to SeaWorld, not that there would be both a SeaWorld and a Busch Gardens one simultaneously. Crazy.

I don't see myself doing both HOS Orlando& Tampa though. The drive back from HOS Tampa back to the Orlando area where I stay for HHN is rough (only stayed in Tampa for HOS once and let's be honest... the hotels in the area aren't great). I'd 100% do SeaWorld on annual basis.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I'm intently curious to know who exactly is the design teams for not just HoS Orlando--but also HoS San Diego. Admittedly; part of me is curious if there's a possibility that they got Jon Cooke and the teams who did Dark Horizon's and Dark Harbor, considering the perfomances of Dark Horizons at the Holiday Inn (and the fact that the Queen Mary is DOA).

Reactions: shiekra38
So I'm thinking for potential house locations

Wild Arctic ride area (provided they removed the simulators)

Turtle Trek's indoor theater area

Parking lot where they do the SeaWorld Rescue, behind the scenes tour

Hmmm that's all I got lol

I'm intently curious to know who exactly is the design teams for not just HoS Orlando--but also HoS San Diego. Admittedly; part of me is curious if there's a possibility that they got Jon Cooke and the teams who did Dark Horizon's and Dark Harbor, considering the perfomances of Dark Horizons at the Holiday Inn (and the fact that the Queen Mary is DOA).
Howl-O-Scream is predominantly designed by the same team for all the parks, at least from my understanding. So the same people designing Tampa is “designing,” Williamsburg, San Antonio, San Diego, and Orlando. The individual parks have say in how scenes are implemented based on the venue, but concepts, props/scenic, and a lot of costumes are provided to them. Imagine a haunt in a box, where you’re given the story, theme, decor, costumes, etc., then it’s up to you to put it together. You can plus it up if you want, but that’s on you. That’s pretty much how HoS works at the not-Busch Parks.

It’s why I expect Black Spot to show up in Orlando. And even if it’s not branded “The Black Spot,” it’s likely you’ll see the exact same stuff from that house. SeaWorld will likely get a “new” original (or two) since it’s so close to Tampa. But if they get Karver’s Kradle (which was set to leave San Antonio last year), I wouldn’t be surprised.

EDIT -
So I'm thinking for potential house locations

Wild Arctic ride area (provided they removed the simulators)

Turtle Trek's indoor theater area

Parking lot where they do the SeaWorld Rescue, behind the scenes tour

Hmmm that's all I got lol
SeaWorld HoS does something different from other theme park haunts, where the event is cordoned off from the rest of the park. The fact that Orlando will have a separate entrance makes me think they’re doing the same thing here.

You can fit three houses in the lower right of the park without any issues. Wild Artic, the Sea Harbor Pavilions, and Ports of Call can all fit houses. I can’t imagine them doing more than five houses their first year, so that are of the map becomes center mass. Especially because you also have Bayside Stadium and Shamu Stadium in that area for shows as well. The other houses will likely be in that area also. So maybe a warehouse behind Sesame Street or a tent near Infinity Falls.

I do not expect a park-wide event… especially for $30.

Last edited:
SeaWorld HoS does something different from other theme park haunts, where the event is cordoned off from the rest of the park. The fact that Orlando will have a separate entrance makes me think they’re doing the same thing here.

You can fit three houses in the lower right of the park without any issues. Wild Artic, the Sea Harbor Pavilions, and Ports of Call can all fit houses. I can’t imagine them doing more than five houses their first year, so that are of the map becomes center mass. Especially because you also have Bayside Stadium and Shamu Stadium in that area for shows as well. The other houses will likely be in that area also. So maybe a warehouse behind Sesame Street or a tent near Infinity Falls.

I do not expect a park-wide event… especially for $30.
Well, they do now...Back in the 2000's they would literally convert the Bumper Cars and Skyride/monorail maintenance area into a house lol

I'm glad they built permanent structures for them.

I'm picturing two to three houses for SWO. I imagine Arctic is being dismantled soon if not already

Suprise out of the blue announcement that will do great for SeaWorld and yet is also "well duh, why haven't they done that yet?" Feels like SWO will bite off some tourists in September but mostly locals but will then start pulling off locals and tourists when they're blocked out on Fridays and Saturdays. I can also imagine they'll find their own identity among the population: MNSSHP/DAD is the family-friendly trick or treat event, HHN is the elaborate movie-like event, and HoS is the more intense event. I do wonder what this will do for alcohol sales in HHN if HoS shows there's demand for it... hmmmm.

Love this, EU back on track and this shows there is still plenty of oxygen in Orlando.

Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin hasn't been operating either, so that could also be a house location, no?

Really think they'll have to do a lot of demo in order to make that work and I don't see that happening. Also it stinks like Penguins in there. Ew.

Any chance they pulled some of the HHN crew during the layoffs? I’m wondering what the event caliber will be.

Very possibly and I think that's great.

Suprise out of the blue announcement that will do great for SeaWorld and yet is also "well duh, why haven't they done that yet?" Feels like SWO will bite off some tourists in September but mostly locals but will then start pulling off locals and tourists when they're blocked out on Fridays and Saturdays. I can also imagine they'll find their own identity among the population: MNSSHP/DAD is the family-friendly trick or treat event, HHN is the elaborate movie-like event, and HoS is the more intense event. I do wonder what this will do for alcohol sales in HHN if HoS shows there's demand for it... hmmmm.

Love this, EU back on track and this shows there is still plenty of oxygen in Orlando.

Really think they'll have to do a lot of demo in order to make that work and I don't see that happening. Also it stinks like Penguins in there. Ew.

Very possibly and I think that's great.
The way I explain it to people is HHN is an arena rock show: Highly produced, polished, more expensive, you get an assigned seat, and it's great

HOS is a local downtown theater alt band show: The theater is a bit rough around the edges, has more of a special charm, more aggressive, in your face, less polished and produced (not necessarily a bad thing)

I'll be honest, the last few years, HOS has lost some of its luster with Scott leaving. However, there were several years in the past where HOS outdid and even pushed past HHN