Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iger Stepping Down, Chapek Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually don’t think so. And for reasons beyond just the obvious “they keep raising prices and people still keep coming anyway” fact.

One thing I’ve noticed moving back to Orlando (and I dont know if this is new because of COVID or just something I never noticed because I didn’t pay as much attention) is that a considerable subset of Orlando locals view being a Disney AP as a status symbol…that’s why the merch sells inexplicably well. Then I have to figure that this extends to out-of-town folks too, who are in the same experience-based economy Floridians are and can leverage Instagram pictures at Disney into a “look how great my life is” badge of honor. This was probably exacerbated in this post-COVID world where international travel is still a little shaky.

Universal, regardless of the quality of product they’re offering, just doesn’t seem to offer the same cache. Even with great new Instagram-friendly offerings Epic is sure to have, the name “Universal” or “Epic Universe” doesn’t have the same value to the types of people that revolve their lifestyles/annual vacations around theme parks.

Just my observations, not necessarily my personal opinion/endorsement.

The fact that this post is probably spot on makes me want to jump out a window.

No clue if it happened before and I just never saw them but since Chapek has become CEO he has some people who are just in my opinion really bad at PR. No clue why they responded to a Youtube Channel like this but this along with how they responded to ScarJo, seems beneath Disney

No clue if it happened before and I just never saw them but since Chapek has become CEO he has some people who are just in my opinion really bad at PR. No clue why they responded to a Youtube Channel like this but this along with how they responded to ScarJo, seems beneath Disney

WDWNT is an easy target which deservedly gets bashed.

Another example of how ill-advised it was to appoint Chapek as CEO. Apparently Iger and Chapek had a falling out early in the transition and don't speak to this day. More importantly, Chapek replaced dozens of creative executives in the studios and replaced them with ONE person - his longterm loyalist from when he led the Disney Stores and stuff - to make the ultimate decisions for EVERY studio.

Chapek is a corporate robot. Eisner and Iger had the charisma to really schmooze the room, smooth over controversy, but they also both came from more creative fields than Chapek and understood that each division needed to run itself. I don't know how much longer it will take, but I think if Disney's stock doesn't rebound to it's previous heights soon, there's gonna be some conversation among the board of replacing Voldemort. (seriously, look at this guy compared to Iger)

106410791-1582722885810disney.jpg

Also, apparently there's a decent amount of people setting up secondary plans so that they have a place to go if they Decide Disney isn't worth it anymore with a lot of people still calling Iger to try and fix things.

To me what's funny about this all is Chapek seems pissed at Iger for letting the media know Disney still wants his advice and now we have more articles coming out basically re confirming this meaning Chapek will most likely double down his most loyal people and basically let Disney here and there kinda go to hell just because he can't stand the last CEO was doing such a better job then him.

Chapek to me never felt like a good choice and I think after the few years of him leading it confirms he's not a great fit. It's Disney and if you can't at least act kinda different then your just a CEO but Disney needs more then just some suit CEO

Another example of how ill-advised it was to appoint Chapek as CEO. Apparently Iger and Chapek had a falling out early in the transition and don't speak to this day. More importantly, Chapek replaced dozens of creative executives in the studios and replaced them with ONE person - his longterm loyalist from when he led the Disney Stores and stuff - to make the ultimate decisions for EVERY studio.

Chapek is a corporate robot. Eisner and Iger had the charisma to really schmooze the room, smooth over controversy, but they also both came from more creative fields than Chapek and understood that each division needed to run itself. I don't know how much longer it will take, but I think if Disney's stock doesn't rebound to it's previous heights soon, there's gonna be some conversation among the board of replacing Voldemort. (seriously, look at this guy compared to Iger)

106410791-1582722885810disney.jpg

Also, apparently there's a decent amount of people setting up secondary plans so that they have a place to go if they Decide Disney isn't worth it anymore with a lot of people still calling Iger to try and fix things.

I hope they replace Chapek with Josh D'amaro so I can see more shirts with his face on them

I hope they replace Chapek with Josh D'amaro so I can see more shirts with his face on them

"What I love about this shirt is that it beautifully illustrates a few points of “connection” that we designed for our guests in this new shirt - how shirts within World Celebration will complement my face, allowing our guests to harmonize with my face; how friends and family will gather together around a shirt.

You can just make out how the shirt reestablishes the arc of my back, expressing the original concept of a cool dad.

Stay connected with me here as I look forward to sharing more details about my shirt and face and the overall EPCOT transformation as we keep moving forward! "

If Chapek is ousted (contract not renewed, much like many bad shows that get multiple seasons, or the board votes to remove him), I can guarantee they will bring in someone from the outside or more likely try to talk Iger into unretiring since he sort of created this monster by making him CEO.

If Chapek is ousted (contract not renewed, much like many bad shows that get multiple seasons, or the board votes to remove him), I can guarantee they will bring in someone from the outside or more likely try to talk Iger into unretiring since he sort of created this monster by making him CEO.
They need to do something, less than a year to find a CEO is short

They need an outside hire.
I agree, but they need someone who gets both the financial aspect AND the creative aspect like Iger did. In an ideal world, i'd insert David Zaslav into that position in a heartbeat since he seems to very much be someone who understands the creative process while also getting the business side.

Obviously Zaslav is off the market as he looks to lead Warner-Discovery, but my point is he's exactly the type of person that a MEDIA conglomerate should be hiring as CEO. Chapek doesn't get the creative world and is only worried about whether a film is going to make money or not.

I'm for hire and I will bring Disney back 20 years by opening every year a new high capacity ride, revitalizing hand drawn animations and put a break on Marvel and Star Wars to not saturate the market and ruin the ip's and in the mean time restructure Lucas Art with a qualified person to replace Katherine Kennedy. No apps, no cutting the line for money. Bring back hotel quality to 20 years ago. Re-introduce themed napkins. We won't us "Magic" in our communication anymore, we are going to earn that from our customers.
The company will not make any profit for 10 years, the investors will hate me and kick me out but the name Disney will mean something again and that is priceless.

Ok so recently I think the algorithm has fully moved me into Distwitter. For those of you have been there for a while, is it always this critical of Disney? I don’t mean the social issues/the Don’t Say Gay bill. Im glad that’s happening. I mean more so about the cost vs value discussion that’s taking place. Reading it feels like a substantial shift, but I can’t tell if that’s always a core tenant of Distwitter, or if there is a sizable ground swell from those who have been hardcore fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.