Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

Reviews are mixed

The people I watch on YT like it but many do think it falls on it's face

Money wise, I dont think this affects much the last Minions movie was getting 7/10 or lower and families still went to see it

This is Minions again. The movie, including legs + WOM, will be fine.

Yeah, I don't think reviews are going to have much weight here. Illumination is no stranger to making a solid profit from their budgets, and more importantly...

...theaters haven't had a notable G/PG film since Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, which came out last year. And there's no direct competition on the horizon for a while, either. That is the making of doing just fine at the box office as you're the only game in town.
Of course, but like…weren’t you guys hoping the movie would be good?

I'm seeing the movie tonight but I would be lying if I didn't say I'm worried about it. At best it sounds like this is fun nostalgia for Mario fans but nothing that will be carrying the franchise's legacy of impeccable quality to film.

Very glad that Super Nintendo World is based on the beloved video game versions of the characters and world.

Of course, but like…weren’t you guys hoping the movie would be good?
I was hoping for something as good as Sonic 2 but this seems to be more in line with Sonic 1.

The difference for me will be the animation, if the animation is great and its a fun ride cool. Sucks its not a masterpiece but Mario story has never been good and the only hope I have for a good story out of any Nintendo Film is Zelda.

I also just have not been vibing with most critics/audience for the last year.

Everyone hated Black Adam and Shazzam 2, I thought they were both fun action films. Everyone seems like Love D&D and I felt like I had more fun with Black Adam, not trolling just didn't see how D%D was really as fun as other super hero films I've seen in the last year.
Puss in Boots 2 I thought was hands down the best animated film and pinocchio wins (and I thought that film was a 7/10 and love stop motion)

So for me I'll wait and see, if I love it great....if its just ok. I'll say it and hope for a better film next time.

Alright, so here's my thoughts:
I think my only gripes with the movie were about two things.

One was how there was actually some of the IRL music usage despite how the trailers seemed to stay completely away from that. It felt a bit jarring at first when the first one is during the penguins charging before it cuts out, and I think the "Take on me" usage felt kind of out of place in particular and could have done with a game-inspired song there, but maybe that's just whiplash from something that was subverted by the trailers being double subverted in the film proper (and it could have been worse when I remember crap like the greentext thinking it'd be "trashy 3D kids movie but with Mario"). Then again, I didn't mind the Uptown Funk part of Sonic 2, but somehow that felt less unexpected. I will say the Mr. Blue sky usage at the end was fine. Looking back now, I can at least appreciate they kept it to a minimum.

The other things were a few things that were underutilized, namely Foreman Spike and how we don't see what the Bros.' life was like when they still worked for him. There was also how where Peach came from is left up in the air, but if the Sonic movies are anything to go off of, this one especially sounds like something that could be explained in a sequel, which they already seem to have ideas for if THE Yoshi is already planned to appear based on that post credits scene.

Anyways, as for good things, overall it was still a very fun and enjoyable movie with a lot of heart put into it that doubles as a love letter to the series, and I even enjoyed several of the comedy bits. As for a particular highlights, I think they did good portraying Bowser's serious and goofy side (and some good laughs were had in those parts too). I also wasn't expecting the final battle to take place in Brooklyn, and it was cool to see how Luigi still factored into it despite spending most of the movie captured by Bowser. I also got caught up in trying to catch little details in parts of the movie, so it's definitely rewatch material.
On the subject of those details, seeing that other classic games like Kid Icarus and Star Fox exist in the Mario world, I wonder who's the face of Nintendo in that world, especially when Balloon Fight and Punch Out seem to not be games with the pizzeria and a billboard respectively.

Lastly, I was touched to see Satoru Iwata's name in the credits. It's been years since I saw his name in a credits sequence since all last games he worked on have since come out, Seems like this and Super Nintendo World are the last things he worked on to come out of the woodworks.

In short, If you're a Mario fan, I guarantee you'll love the movie.

Last edited:
Well, I initially planned on seeing the movie tonight, but every showing at my local theater is either completely booked or the only seats left are terrible.

Not a fan of packed theaters lol.

Well, I initially planned on seeing the movie tonight, but every showing at my local theater is either completely booked or the only seats left are terrible.

Not a fan of packed theaters lol.
Yeah, this is why I buy theater tickets in advance, though I realize not everyone has the schedule to do so, though I guess that's why Fandango lets you do refunds or exchanges up until it's showtime.

Not a fan of packed theaters

Just an FYI unless your planning on seeing it early in the day, you may want to grab tickets this film will mainly have packed theaters at nightime

Yeah, this is why I buy theater tickets in advance, though I realize not everyone has the schedule to do so, though I guess that's why Fandango lets you do refunds or exchanges up until it's showtime.
It's crazy cause I've never had to buy tickets in advance for this theater lol. I've never had to deal with super-packed/sold-out opening night showings at this theater.
Just an FYI unless your planning on seeing it early in the day, you may want to grab tickets this film will mainly have packed theaters at nightime
Yeah, I checked for tomorrow afternoon and it's MUCH better.

I'm happy to say I had a good time watching this. By no means perfect as there were some issues I had with the movie's pacing and handling of some of its character arcs. I think if you removed the Mario IP it would be a very average kids movie but this is such a strong love letter to Mario that I couldnt help but smile during it. Overall it was just fun to watch though, I'll definitely go see it a second time.

Haven't seen the film and wont until Saturday (seeing it with a hugeeee group of friends) but I do want to say its fine if the movie isn't perfect and critics are pointing that out

SLOP is a meh fine to me, but made money (also made a fun ride) but just because a film makes bank doesn't mean critics should just love it.
I'm sure its a fun ride and very much fine with some critics giving it a 6/10. If they have no love for Mario then year, this movie might not be for you

The film is a very fun ride. Just got out of watching it in 4DX
Kong jungle and rainbow road make it worth while in 4DX
kids were eating up this film like ice cream. Going to do extremely well with people taking kids for repeat views.

The lack of a deep story I don't think is a weakness. I think in this case it keeps you engaged. I didn't get bored or felt any moment drag on the entire film which is very hard to say for a lot of films these days.

Money wise I think Nintendo and Universal are going to be very happy

I'm glad people are enjoying it and that it's making tons of coin. I saw it in IMAX and it looked incredible but thought it was a little dull, honestly. The movie played it so much straighter and safer than I expected. Bowser/Jack Black seemed to be the only one given any room to play with the character and it worked for him.

Not sure if if I've seen to many properties like this brought to the big screen with a bigger dash of satire, especially for the large amount of adults who will be in the audience (think Lego Movie or any Chris Lord/Phil Miller production), that I might be jaded to something so traditional with such a simple script. Definitely something I think kids will enjoy more.