Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm very interested in seeing who turns out for this movie. Are the 50+ year old former gamers going show up?
Wash your ffing mouth, teenybopper! I'm 57 and game every day (not Nintendo. I'm more of a PlayStation guy), so hell yeah I'll go and watch the movie (and I take a nephew so I won't be too much out of place ;)).

Reactions: jseal777
So I finally got a text on where they'll be having the van, and uh...can't say I'm a fan of how it doesn't specify exactly where.
Los Angeles. Get your SMB Plumbing Van Fix this week. Photo ops, merch and more
4/2 - Fairfax & Melrose area Noon - 2pm. Silver Lake area 2-4pm
4/3 - Hollywood and Highland area Noon - 2pm. The Grove area 2-4pm
4/4 - Randy's Donuts 11am - Noon. Downtown LA Art District 1-2pm. Highland Park area 2-3pm
See, for the last one, there's like multiple Randy's Donuts in LA county, and it doesn't specify where in the art district. Not to mention highland park looks big after looking it up. To top it off, you only have an hour to find it and get your photos and stuff.

Considering a friend is free on that day, making it my best shot at looking for it, it makes me wish they just had it at CityWalk like every Nintendo and Universal collaboration. >.>

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Yeah, if I was Universal I'd have pushed to have a week long event at USH because I feel like this kinda ad stuff really doesn't get as much attention but I could be wrong but I'm not going to go looking for the van and hand no idea about the Drone show until it was over

Looks like there was a typo, exact dates are below:
Correction on dates
Los Angeles. Get your SMB Plumbing Van Fix this week. Photo ops, merch and more
4/3 - Fairfax & Melrose area Noon - 2pm. Silver Lake area 2-4pm
4/4 - Hollywood and Highland area Noon - 2pm. The Grove area 2-4pm
4/5 - Randy's Donuts 11am - Noon. Downtown LA Art District 1-2pm. Highland Park area 2-3pm
At least the Hollywood and Highland area presumably means that whole center near the El Capitan theater. It's been years since I've been there but I'll probably consider it. The Grove looks like it might be easier since it's a dedicated shopping mall. I remember the Hollywood and Highland area being pretty congested.

image0.png

Reviews are mixed

The people I watch on YT like it but many do think it falls on it's face

Money wise, I dont think this affects much the last Minions movie was getting 7/10 or lower and families still went to see it

the reviews are pretty brutal regarding the story and dialogue, though the animation is unsurprisingly praised. I don't doubt families will check this out, but its legs may be hurt if word of mouth isn't strong.

Its legs I think will be fine

1) All the Minion films besides the first one were loved, didn't stop them all from making easy money
2) Nothing else big is coming out until GOTG3. Evil Dead is coming out but in no way will that affect a Mario Movie.
3) Film is 90 mins, meaning it can get in the most showtimes of pretty much any film going for a billion+. So think it will be printing money

We will see but I saw people online not loving the MK ride, didn't affect crowds at the land. I could be wrong but doubt it wont make buckets of money. Easily think it will make a billion world wide. I looked it up, Super Mario also has most premium formats starting tomorrow as well.

Yeah, I don't think reviews are going to have much weight here. Illumination is no stranger to making a solid profit from their budgets, and more importantly...

...theaters haven't had a notable G/PG film since Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, which came out last year. And there's no direct competition on the horizon for a while, either. That is the making of doing just fine at the box office as you're the only game in town.

Yeah, I don't think reviews are going to have much weight here. Illumination is no stranger to making a solid profit from their budgets, and more importantly...

...theaters haven't had a notable G/PG film since Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, which came out last year. And there's no direct competition on the horizon for a while, either. That is the making of doing just fine at the box office as you're the only game in town.
Not to mention both Dreamworks and Illumination are under Universal/Comcast's umbrella.

As a matter of fact, I think Pratt sounded much better in the film proper than in the initial trailers. and I'm saying this as someone who was skeptical at the start.

Anyways, I loved the movie overall. A few things about it made it feel imperfect but it was still a great movie overall. I'll post more tomorrow cause it's late here. Midnight screening was absolutely worth it though.