Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

Pratt gets a lot of hate in general since he’s just everywhere so part of it feels par for the course for me. I don’t think Nintendo would do this if they couldn’t get a Mario voice they feel is right. Also he said like 4 things lol. Give me the full trailer before I have a take.

That all being said, can we talk more about how KMK as Toad is PERFECTION.

I think the fact that the trailer relied more on Jack Black’s voice work for Bowser, then a few lines for Mario makes it seem like they are still trying to keep it as some big “reveal.” I think that allowed all of this backlash to permeate more.

If it is really good, they should have showed more. Maybe they assumed backlash would happen either way, and they wanted to minimize it for the first trailer as much as possible.

I think the fact that the trailer relied more on Jack Black’s voice work for Bowser, then a few lines for Mario makes it seem like they are still trying to keep it as some big “reveal.” I think that allowed all of this backlash to permeate more.

If it is really good, they should have showed more. Maybe they assumed backlash would happen either way, and they wanted to minimize it for the first trailer as much as possible.
I mean it could be terrible and they’re hiding it for sure. I think it’s building hype in general. They didn’t even show Peach or DK so there’s plenty to still reveal.

The visuals are so perfect that I’d be shocked if this doesn’t make a billion.

I did not know about this movie… did not know about Chris Pratt’s involvement, and as such the trailer was a surprise to me. I fully went in blind and excited that this was happening, without any preconceived notions.

As soon as I heard Mario my thought was “what was that?”. And I progressively got more… disappointed that this is the route they are going.

Now I am not saying we need the exact voice from the game, I get that it would be…grating.

But there are people out there who are Italian… an entire country in fact.

Le sigh.

I did not know about this movie… did not know about Chris Pratt’s involvement, and as such the trailer was a surprise to me. I fully went in blind and excited that this was happening, without any preconceived notions.

As soon as I heard Mario my thought was “what was that?”. And I progressively got more… disappointed that this is the route they are going.

Now I am not saying we need the exact voice from the game, I get that it would be…grating.

But there are people out there who are Italian… an entire country in fact.

Le sigh.

Mario is from Brooklyn not Italy...he just is italian. Doesn't mean he has to have an italian accent.

Mario is from Brooklyn not Italy...he just is italian. Doesn't mean he has to have an italian accent.
The over the top Italian accent Mario has is a stereotypical problem, reflective of the time the game was made and the fact that it was made in Japan, by Japanese game designers, who thought this is what all Italians sounded like.

I think what Pratt is doing here (at least the nine words I’ve heard him speak) is fine so far. It’s also far from my biggest worry with this movie.

The over the top Italian accent Mario has is a stereotypical problem, reflective of the time the game was made and the fact that it was made in Japan, by Japanese game designers, who thought this is what all Italians sounded like.

I think what Pratt is doing here (at least the nine words I’ve heard him speak) is fine so far. It’s also far from my biggest worry with this movie.

My biggest worry for the film is can they stick the landing.

Some of the leaked posters/pictures reveal exactly what people were saying...

Mario is from Brooklyn hints Chris Pratt's weak new York accent and pulling a lot from the 80s tv show

Last edited:
New Trailer...gives alot away.

Honestly wish they held back some of this for the film. I think just showing DK and hearing Peach would have been enough for a second trailer

so much more not showcased in the trailer
Thats good to hear, I'm just saying the end of the trailer I could have waited on to see in theaters...would have to me felt like insane to see that just happening in a movie...I'd never guessed they'd put this much into ONE mario movie especially the first one